Skiathos is a mostly tourist island in the Sporades Islands
- Kastro site of the medieval center of the island. Abandoned in 19 century.
Home to the airport that services the other Sporades islands, many joke that the livelier crowds in search of an instant beer are dropped off at Skiathos, where others might choose to go on by boat to quieter destinations. While it is undoubtedly the most tourist-intensive island of the Sporades, it does have many faces, so don’t be fooled by the brash cover to this book full of splendid Greek secrets. Steer away from the main drag and you will find stunning scenery, quaint tavernas and lots of luscious green terrain perfect for gentle strolls or more intensive hikes.
Greek is the native language of the people of Skiathos. However, most people also speak passable English and many speak German or other European languages.
Skiathos is accessible via ferry from Volos, Agios Konstantinos, and Thessaloniki
Cruise ships dock at the Chora Port.
The island is served by an International Airport (World Airport Code JSI.). The airport is situated north-east of Chora. It is served from Greek destinations by Olympic Airways, and from northern European destinations in summer months by charter and some regular scheduled airlines (currently including Austrian Airlines,) usually only once or twice a week.
The runway is an excitement in itself; as you descend towards Skiathos you are met with sea, sea and more sea before out of nowhere appears a precarious strip of runway across the end of this small island. If the pilot misses his spot, you’ll have to circle and try again!
Public buses operate throughout the island.
The main route runs from Skiathos Bus Terminus (Stop 0) servicing all the resorts along the south coast and terminating at Koukounaries Beach (stop 26) to the west of the island. All bus stops are numbered and although they also show the place names there is a tendency throughout the island to refer to all destinations by their bus stop numbers. Fares are very reasonable at (2014) €1.60, €1.80 and €2.00. Frequency varies according to the time of day but is typically every 15 minutes.
Taxis are easy to get from the port to anywhere on the island
By car or motorbike
It is not worth the hassle to bring your own car to the island, although it is in theory possible. You can rent a car or a motor scooter. Asphalt roads run across the south of the island. Roads in the interior turn out to be little more than dirt paths.
Motorbikes and mopeds are popular alternatives to cars. Especially mopeds are frequently used by local youths and can go to many places that cars cannot go - for example the twisted narrow streets of Skiathos city. An additional advantage is that they are cheap to rent - 10 to 15 Euros a day is the usual price.
If you start a day-trip with a moped, make you sure you do so on a full tank, as gas stations are sometimes hard to find. An extra stop at a gas station can save a lot of nerves. When renting a moped, check if the profile of the tyres is ok if the brakes work properly,lights,turn indicators and petrol gauge. if it doesnt look good dont be bothered to rent it,it could be the one that needs a repair badly. it can cause you a lot of troubles if it breaks down.Make sure the insurance stands on the contract. Helmets are required on Skiathos.
- The First Rent a Car and Motorbike, ☎ 0030 24270 22810, 0030 6942443165 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Delivers and picks up your car/motorbike to and from the airport, Skiathos Harbour or your hotel. Has a large selection of the cars, jeeps, motorbikes and scooters for rent. edit
- Alexandros Papadiamantis house - Alexandros Papadiamantis (1851-1911) was a writer. He wrote over 100 novels mostly based on island life
- Kastro - site of the medieval center of the island. Abandoned in 19 century.
- Tsougria Island
- Panagia Eikonistria Monastery
- Strofilia Lake
There is a good variety of beaches on Skiathos with over 60 in total. The south side of the island has sandy beaches with calm waters. Beaches on the north are less crowded. The wind mostly comes in from the north and also the sea tends to be somewhat rougher to the north.
- Koukounaries. Covered with umbrella pines is the most famous beach on the island.
- Lalaria. Beach only accessible by daily boats, crystal clear water and large stones on shore.
- Big Banana. Next to Koukounaries is the beach for young people .
- Small Banana. Next to Big Banana is a naturist beach.
- Asselinos. Large and quiet undeveloped beach.
- Kanapitsa. Amazing beach, water sports, and a nice taverna.
- Jewelry stores are common
- Colorful sea shells are a popular souvenir item, but very many of them are actually imported, and have no authentic connection to the island whatsoever.
- Many brand name products for sale in the tourist shops may be fakes and/or unlicensed (t-shirts, towels, hand bags, and so on)
- En Plo, . edit
- Medousa, Old port. Italian restaurant, with Woody fire oven. edit
- Olive land (Elaias gi), Katsarou. Traditional greek food, lots of nice vines, friendly staff. edit
The tap water is not drinkable (and even ice in restaurants is provided via special procedure from companies) and restaurants will serve glasses of ice water upon request. Local drinks include beer and Ouzo.
There are various hot club locations, though most famous clubs are located north-east of the port at around 300 meters, by the seashore, and the most famous are Kahlua, Maraccas and BBC.
- Stathis Taverna Lia. edit
- Taverna Stathis Lia (Vromolimnos), Vromolimnos (near bus stop 13), ☎ +30-24270-23508. Taverna Lia is simply the best: you walk through an arche onto a terrace and find yourself in a beautiful setting, with ancient olive trees and full of colorful flowers, lights and candles. If the weather is chilly, you can sit inside and enjoy the view into the garden. Here the coulors are held in white with red and white checkered table cloths, giving the taverna a warm and friendly feeling. The food is excellent. It is more than Greek, since it has many touches of international cuisine. All the dishes, including desert, are freshly home made and spiced with home-grown herbs. After many years of dining at Lia's, the quality has never wavered. The service is extremely attentive, friendly, relaxed and professional. It is run by an all-women's team! Any extra wish you may have is, if possible, glady granted. The prices are moderate in relation to the quality. The clientèle ranges from Greek families, foreign home owners, wedding parties to honey-mooners out for a romantic evening. Taverna Lia is definitely a must if your holiday in Skiathos is to be special! edit
- JasmineVillas, Troulos, ☎ +30-6973919002 (email@example.com), . Two stunningly located villas offering incredible Island views in a great location are of a very high standard supplied by a very warm & friendly family. The Jasmine Villas offer private swimming pools with sea view and a large patio with very pleasant gardens, as well as useful facilities such as bbq and private lot for your vehicle. Jasmine Villas are luxurious and modern, deemed to be top of the town and very well equiped for great holidays. edit
- Villa Eleven, Agia Kali, ☎ +30-6974260368 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Your Private Getaway in Skiathos island - Private Luxury Villa for rent in Skiathos. edit
- Atrium Hotel, Agia Paraskevi, ☎ +30 24270 49345 or +30 24270 49376, . Four-star hotel is situated on the lush island of Skiathos, in full harmony with the landscape. edit
- Bourtzi Hotel, Skiathos Town, . 4 star modern boutique hotel located in the heart of Skiathos town, in a very peaceful area. edit
- Dabasi Hotel, Skiathos Town, . Newly developed complex of furnished studios and apartments available for rent year around. edit
- Skiathos Princess Hotel, Agia Paraskevi, ☎ +30-24270-49731 (email@example.com, fax: +30-24270-49740), . Deluxe hotel on the white sandy beach of Agia Paraskevi. edit
- Skiathos Repos, Agia Paraskevi, ☎ +30-24270-23831 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Skiathos Repos complex consists of two elegant villas. Located in Platanias, Agia Paraskevi in Skiathos, in a green environment, ideal for holidays, relaxation and rest. edit
- Studios Matina (accommodation in skiathos), Agios Fanourios, ☎ +302427024154, . "Studios Matina" are located in the district of Agios Fanourios, 700 meters from Skiathos town centre, 500 meters from the beach of Megali Ammos and 300 meters from the bus stop n.4. It consists of 8 fully equipped and furnished studios immersed into the greenery, enjoying a breathtaking view over the town and the harbour of Skiathos. Each studio includes bathroom with shower, balcony with sea view, equipped kitchen, TV color, individually controlled air conditioning, presence detector alarm, safety box and parking space. edit
- Villa Karina (Studios&Apartments), 37002 Skiathos, Kolios, ☎ +30-24270-49316, . With a linear distance of 150 m to Agia Paraskevi beach and 200 m to Kolios Beach, Villa Karina is ideally situated for a perfect beach holiday. edit
- Villa Maestrali (www.villamaestrali.com), Kalamaki Peninsula (Vromolimnos Area), ☎ +49-821-158943, . checkin: 2:00 pm; checkout: 10:00 am. Villa Maestrali is located on the exclusive Kalamaki Peninsula, 8 km south-east of Skiathos town. Its most outstanding feature are its terrace sea views, towards the west with splendid sunsets and the east respectively. The villa stands alone on its 4000 sqm property and has a 6 m x 10 m pool offering an amazing view across the bay. Villa Maestrali is situated just a 2 minute drive or 10 minute stroll down to famous Vromolimnos beach. It consists of 3 twin bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a modern, well equipped open kitchen with a dining area for 6, one very large terrace and one smaller one. Decorated in pleasing pastell tones and eleganty furnished, this villa is perfect for a family or group vacation away from it all. edit
- Paraschos Studios, Troulos, ☎ +30 6949198440. Situated in a garden of flowers and pine trees, Studios Paraschos is a 10-minute walk from sandy Troulos Beach edit
- Evi's Rooms, Skiathos Town, ☎ +30-6947346508 (email@example.com), . Located in Skiatos Town next to the sea and close to the airport, Evi's rooms are beautiful apartments ideal for couples or friends. Each apartment has a WC, A/C, self-katering kitchen and a bedroom. edit
- Aphrodite Studios Skiathos, Megali Ammos (near bus stop no.5), ☎ 00302427023616, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:00. Aphrodite Studios - a group of 20 spacious studios for 2, 3 or 4 persons - is located at Megali Ammos beach (else Ftelia) that is one of the most known beaches of Skiathos island. (39.161650,23.476680) edit
Skiathos is a generally safe destination.
- The summer sun tends to get very strong. You should not take the risk of dehydration, sunburns or even heat strokes lightly. Wear appropriate clothes, maybe with a hat and sunglasses; use sunscreen; bring enough water on excursions and know when to stop exhausting yourself and seek the shade of a tree.
The less known island of Skiathos in Greece, as featured in the Mamma Mia film, is to host the Skiathos Gay Culture Festival in July 2012, in what could become an annual event of art exhibitions, beach parties, V.I.P. parties, beach wrestling and beauty competitions. The festival intends to promote gay culture and involves art events and exhibitions as well as themed parties and other events. Organised sailing cruises on yachts as well as private flights are available for the ones who wish to enjoy a more private holiday.
Skiathos is one of the greenest islands in Greece and has been nominated the most popular Greek destination in 2010. The island has a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing and culture. Its beautiful beaches such as the so called "Small Banana" are some of the most popular beaches in Greece, and according to Tripadvisor the best Greek beach 2012.
Ideal for visiting close by islands such as Skopelos and Alonissos, where holiday makers might also have the chance to see the seals that live in the caves of the island. Skiathos enjoys a number of visitors during summer not only because of its natural beauties and crystal waters, but also because of the excellent nightlife that it has to offer.
The area of Skiathos Town which is the center of the island is characterized by stone paths, traditional taverns and restaurants and affordable bars and nightclubs. Taking into account that Mykonos is one place that it has been extensively visited, Skiathos is hoping it will stand as an alternative potential destination not only for the gay society, but for every holiday maker.