Shringeri is a city in Southern India.
- The nearest airport is Mangalore (110km from Sringeri)
- Spice Jet / Jet operate this route from Bangalore.
- Ticket costs range between INR 1800 – 5000.
Shimoga or Kadur is the nearest railroad and is linked to Bangalore. An alternate town is Koppa.
The Shimogha Express (Train Number : 6227) runs from Bangalore to Shimoga. The train departs from Bangalore (Station Code : SBC) at 2340 hrs and arrives at Shimoga, next day at 0513 hrs. The train can also be boarded in Bangalore at Yashwantpur and Malleswaram.
A similar train - Bangalore Express (Train Number : 6228) departs Shimoga (Station Code: SME) at 2205 hrs and arrives at Bangalore (Station Code : SBC) at 0500 hrs next day. Both trains run on all days in a week.
Kadur is located on the Mumbai-Bangalore line and has Daily connection to Mumbai through chalukya/Sharavati Express. apart from that the station is connected with Kohlapur with Rani Chennamma xpress. Apart from that the other long distance trains like Ajmer Express, Jodhpur Express and others have stop at Birur about 10 kilometers from Kadur. From Kadur the route is Via Chikmaglur and Balehoonur and is about 100kms away
The KSRTC (State Owned Transport) operates buses from all major cities to Shringere and Shimoga. Tickets can be booked from online vendors, KSRTC offices or online . There are also a good number of buses and private transport from Shimoga town to Sringeri.
apart from that KSRTC operates a direct Volvo bus from Chennai to Sringeri via Bangalore. the bus leaves Chennai at 2:30PM and from Bangalore at 10:30Pm to reach Sringeri at around 6AM. Return the bus leaves Sringeri at 10PM to reach Bangalore at 5:30AM and proceeds to Chennai thereasfter. Ordinary buses also connects Sringeri to Coimbatore via Mysore and Sringeri to Kozhikkode regularly. A TNSTC service operates between Salem and Shimoga via Bangalore and Birur
Kundapura (KUDA) is nearest major railway station on Konkan Railway route. Road distance is less than 75km. Traveling options are private taxi and Govt.(KSRTC)/Private buses also there from Kundapura city.
Shimoga is another nearer railway station and road distance around 115km.
- Shri Sharada Temple - The main temple of Sringeri established by Sri Adi Shankaracharya.
- Tunga river Bank - Famous for fishes. Fishing is banned in this area. But you can feed the fishes. People generally feed puffed rice.
- Narasimha Vana - This is where the present Jagadguru of Dakshina( southern) Shankaracharya Mutt H.H Bharathi teertha Swamigalu lives.
- Mallikarjuna temple (Mallappana betta).
- Rajiv Gandhi Samskrutha vidya Peetham - This place is around 2Kms from Sringeri in a place called Menase.
- Uluve bird Sancuary - Its the home of hundreds of cranes. Its on the bank of river Tunga. Its located at about 5Kms from Sringeri town.
- Kigga - It is located about 9Kms from Sringeri and is famous for Rushyasringeshwara temple who is known as rain . Regular bus services are available to Kigga from Sringeri ( Frequency: One per hour).
- Sirimane - A beautifull waterfalls which is just 4 Kms from Kigga Village. You will not get any bus to reach this place.You need to hire a car or an auto rickshaw from Sringeri. Or should be ready to walk from Kigga village.
- Maghe Bailu - A beautifull Village located in the middle of ever green forests. This village became famous when the villagers started producing electricity on their own. A small beautifull Wwater falls called MagheBailu falls is located in this village. Its about 5kms from Kigga village. No bus facility available to this village as well.
- Narasimha Parvatha - A trek spot. Trek is of about 8Km. Trek starts from Kigga to reach the peak of Narasimha Parvatha. In case you are trekking, permission has to be taken from the forest department in Sringeri.
- Agumbe - located at around 25 Kms from Sringeri. Regular bus services are available to this place from Sringeri. This place is known for the beautifull sunset Spot in the middle of ever green forest valley.
- There is no dress code to enter inside the temple. However if you are planning to go to Narasimhavana where Swamiji resides, carry a set of Dhothi. Men are suppose to take off their shirt before entering "GuruBhavana" ( Swamiji's place). Eventhough women don't have any dress code, they are expected to wear either Saree or Salwar Kameez.
- Do not try Swimming in the river as there are many whirls in the river, and at least a couple of people drown every year.
- Sringeri Banana Chips -> Sringeri is famous for Banana chips.
- Pickles -> Malnad part is famous for pickles. There are many shops which sells pickles, thokku etc out of these stores Vijaya Naarasimha (ವಿಜಯನಾರಸಿಂಹ) store is the most famous one
- Happala (Papads) -> Sringeri is also famous for "Jacknfruit Happala"
- Apart from the accomodation provided by the temple, there aren't too many hotels around.
- Sringeri Mutt provides hygenic good food during noon and night time.
- There are many good small budget mess around the temple street.
Many decent budget lodges are available in Bharathi street of Sringeri. Sri Mutt has many decent lodges but has to be booked well in advance, note that in SriMutt's lodges and the most of the lodges of Bharathi street in Sringeri does not permit alcohol and Nonveg items. Shankara kripa, Sharada Kripa, Bharathi Vihar and Yatri Nivas are the towns MUTT lodges. The newly constructed building Shree Bharathi Teertha Kripa has Air Conditioned rooms and only costs around Rs. 300.00.
- Vidya Bharathi Lodge, Bharathi street.
- Advaith Lancer A newly built hotel, which is at few hundred meters from the river Tunga, its more luxurious compared to other hotels of Sringeri.