Shelbyville is a city in the Kentucky Derby Region, 30 miles east of Louisville and 20 miles west of Frankfort. It is the county seat of Shelby County.
Interstate 64 crosses Shelby County from west to east, linking Shelbyville with Louisville and, eventually, St. Louis to the west. Eastbound traffic will go to Lexington and on to West Virginia and Virginia Beach. Exits along I-64 in Shelby County are Exit 28 (KY 1848, Veechdale Rd) at Simpsonville, Exit 32 (KY 55, Taylorsville-Shelbyville) and Exit 35 (KY 53) both at Shelbyville and Exit 43 (KY 395, Waddy-Petona).
Louisville International Airport offers numerous flights to cities around the country.
Capitol City Airport in Frankfort handles small aircraft.
For the most up-to-date travel/tourism information, visit:
Shelbyville/Shelby County Tourism Commission & Visitors Bureau
316 Main Street Shelbyville, KY 40065 502.633.6388 
- '"American Saddlebred Horse Farm Tours'" 316 Main St., 502.633.6388 or  Monday-Saturday, by APPOINTMENT only. Visit an authentic American Saddlebred Horse Farm (show horses). Tours generally last about an hour and a half, you see a training session, mare & foal if available, horses in fields, and possibly the historic home. All tours are personalized to each visitor, with no group number requirement. There is no charge for the tour; however, a donation to the Luci Center (therapeutic riding center) is strongly suggested.
- Science Hill  525 Washington St. 633-4382. The history of Science Hill nearly coincides with the history of its residence, the City of Shelbyville. Wakefield-Scearce Galleries was founded 150 years later. After 114 years of continuous operation, Science Hill graduated it's last class in 1939. During its time, Science Hill School had established a reputation of greatness for its contribution to education and culture. the lives of those girls who graduated from the prestigious school have affected the development of every state of America. After the school's 1939 closing, most of the premises became a residential inn. Misses Juliet and Harriet Poynter, daughters of Dr. Wiley Poynter, retained only the most western portion, the original structure as a home. The Poynter daughters were born here in the late 1800s, and here they would die nearly 100 years later.
- The Cardinal Club 401 Champions Way, Simpsonville 722-2500. Located off of I-64 at the Veechdale Rd. exit. The golf club built for the University of Louisville.
- Clear Creek Golf Course  717 Burks Branch Rd 633-0375. Clear Creek Golf Course is good for beginners and yet offers a challenge to the more advanced golfers. Most golfers have found that this is not just a "chip and putt" course, and are able to use all the clubs in their bag depending on conditions. Their courteous staff is always at your service. We welcome golf outings of all sizes and organizations. Special rates for Seniors are available weekdays and weekends. We are surrounded by some of Kentucky's best known antique shops and a number of well-known horse farms. Come play with us and see for yourself one of the finest Executive Golf Courses in the state of Kentucky
- Shelbyville Country Club  47 Smithfield Rd 633-2100. Formed in 1934, SCC offers members the best in country club services. This 6,400 yard golf course offers the most skillful, as well as the beginning golfer, a chance to test his/her skills as well as develop them. The signature "horseshoe" lake provides a challenge for the course, which lies in a serene setting in the rolling hills of Shelby County. This course places a true value on shot accuracy versus distance. With a limited membership, you can be assured of an enjoyable round of golf even during the busiest months of the year.
- Weissinger Hills Golf Course  2240 Mount Eden Rd. 633-7332. Weissinger Hills Golf Course is an 18 hole golf course located off of I-64 on KY 53. One of the true delights about playing golf at Weissinger Hills Golf Course is the friendly way in which you will be treated. The golf course has four sets of tees for all skill levels. Golf Digest has given Weissinger Hills Golf Course a 3 1/2 star rating making it one of the finest public courses in the Louisville area.
Movies and Theaters
- Great Escape 8 Shelbyville  250 Breighton Circle 633-3376. Stadium seating.
- Shelby County Community Theatre  801 West Main St. 633-0222. With various programs designed to enhance the arts and entertainment opportunities for adults and children alike, Shelby County Community Theatre has become the heart of the area's cultural community.
- Guist Creek Lake  11990 Boat Dock Rd. 647-5359. The lake is primarily for fisherman. It is one of the best bass lakes for its size in the state. Fishery include: largemouth bass, hybrid stripers, cat fish, crappie, blue gill and rock fish. Many fisherman reports catching fish over 5 pounds regularly. The record largemouth bass for this lake is over 10 pounds. Speed boats are required to slow to an idle when passing fishing boats; however, there is a special water skiing area for those who enjoy the sport. Water skiing is permitted from the 3rd Thursday in May to September 30th. There is a launching ramp at the marina. The marina offers items such as: gas, live bait, tackle, boat supplies, snacks, drinks, ice, etc. Fishing licenses may also be purchased through the marina. Covered boat and pontoon slips are available for lease. Rental motor boats are also available on a daily basis.
- Lake Shelby Burks Branch Rd. 20 acres. Fishing, camping, ramp, canoeing, nature trail, picnicing.
- Country Lady Ltd 525 Washington St. 633-5239.
- W Cromwell 525 Washington St. 633-4440.
- Antiques for You 528 Main St." 633-7506.
- Avon for Guys & Dolls'" "519 Main St." 502.252.3205
- Cj's Candies, LLC'" "610 Main St." 502.437.5344
- Country Cottage Collectibles'" "137 Frankfort Rd" 633.5341
- Gardner House Antiques'" "525 Main St" 633.1971
- 'The Keepsake Shop'" "711 Washington St. 633-2707.
- The Linen Press'" "525 Washington St"
- Main Street Bikes'" "545 Main St" 502.220.4136
- Main Street Music & More'" "317 Frankfort Rd" 647.9266
- Making Ends Meet'" "701 Washington St" 633.5427
- Margie's Hallmark Gold Crown 215 Boone Station Rd. 633-3325.
- Metzger's Country Store'" "6791 Shelbyville Rd" 722.8850
- Needle Nest 702 Washington St # 2 633-4701.
- Pathelen Flower & Gift Shop 1038 W. Main St. 647-9000
- Ruby Rooster'" 520-522 Main St." 633.0720
- Shelbyville Antique Market'" "542 Main St" 633.3221
- Shelby County Flea Market 820 Buck Creek Rd., Simpsonville, 40067 722-8883.
- Shelby Horse Supply'" "7022 Shelbyville Rd" 722.5010
- Through the Looking Glass'" "629 Washington St" 633.4883
- Tracy's Home Furnishings'" "604 Main St." 633.2315
- Under the Sun'" "702 Main St." 641.9981
- Weeds and Things'" "536 Main St." 633.4483
- Wakefield-Scearce Gallery  525 Washington St. 633-4382. Specializing in fine English antiques.
- May Classic Horse Show Shelby County Fairgrounds Mid-May.
- Shelby County Fair Shelby County Fairgrounds Mid-June.
- Shelbyville Horse Show Jubilee Shelby County Fairgrounds Late July-Early August.
- Shelbyville Horse Show Shelby County Fairgrounds Early August. Four night show featuring the finest American Saddlebred horses from around the country.
- Bluegrass Festival by the Lake Clear Creek Park September.
- Long Run Massacre Reenactment September.
- Kentucky State Championship Horse Show Shelby County Fairgrounds Mid September.
- Trims & Whims Crafts Show Wright Elementary School, 500 Rocket Ln. 633-5222. First week of November.
- Celebration of Lights Downtown Shelbyville Mid November.
- Christmas Parade Downtown Shelbyville First Saturday of December.
- Asia Buffet, 89 Howard Dr, 647-9998.
- '"Bell House Restaurant'", 721 Main St., Shelbyville, 502.437.5678.
- '"Beef 'O' Brady's'", 1637 Midland Trail, Shelbyville, 633.4220.
- Brenda's Country Cafe, 310 3rd St., Simpsonville, 722-5090.
- Cattleman's Roadhouse, 221 Breighton Circle, 647-5959.
- '"CJ's Candies'", 610 Main St., Shelbyville, 502.437.5344
- Claudia Sanders Dinner House 3202 Shelbyville Rd., 633-5600, . Claudia Sanders, the wife of Colonel Harland Sanders, believed in gracious hospitality and generous portions in her restaurant. When Tommy and Cherry Settle rebuilt the new Dinner House, their objective was to keep the great Kentucky legend of Claudia Sanders Dinner House alive and well. The present Dinner House has been rebuilt on the same site, but it has been enlarged to 24,000 square feet and can sit up to 700 hungry guests at a time. Guests arriving at Claudia Sanders enter an Italian porcelain tiled foyer with a grand antebellum styled staircase. To the right is the receptionist area and a gift shop. Guests will enjoy their dining experience in one of four elegantly decorated dining room: The Thoroughbred Room, The Saddlebred Room, The Kentucky Room, and The Colonel's Quarters.
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, 1565 Mount Eden Rd. (I-64 at KY 53), 633-9945, . Down home cooking with a country atmosphere. Gift shop on the premises.
- Fiesta Mexicana, 614 Main St., 647-7174.
- FireFresh Bar-B-Q, 81 Jeanie Dr, 647-7675, . Enjoy barbeque beef, pork and chicken at FireFresh.
- '"Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen'", 1732 Midland Trail, Shelbyville, 502.633.6330.
- Hometown Pizza, 1745 Midland Trail, 633-7900.
- Ken-Tex Bar-B-Q, 1163 Mount Eden Rd., 633-2463.
- Marimba Mexican Restaurant, 2059 Midland Trail, 647-1990.
- Mc Kinley's Bread Shop & Deli, 615 Main St., 647-1665.
- Michoacana Mexican Taqueria, 811 Washington St., 647-7778.
- New China, 1815 Midland Trail, 633-9115.
- Old Stone Inn, 6905 Shelbyville Rd., Simpsonville, 722-8200.
- Pilot Travel Center/Wendys/Subway, 819 Buck Creek Rd. (I-64 at Veechdale Rd.), Simpsonville, 722-5636.
- '"Sam's Place", 618 Main St. Shelbyville, 633.5010.
- Science Hill Inn Dining Room, 525 Washington St # 4, 633-2825.
- '"Sixth & Main Coffeehouse'", 547 Main St., Shelbyville, 502.647.7751.
- '"Through the Looking Glass'", 629 Washington St., Shelbyville, 633.4883.
- Tumbleweed Southwest Grill, 1700 Midland Trail, 647-4651, . Tumbleweed offers Southwest cuisine as well as a large menu of Mesquite-grilled steaks, chops, chicken and seafood cooked over real Mesquite logs on a specially designed grill.
- Wok In Buffet, 182 Frankfort Rd., 647-7879.
- Through the Looking Glass Tea Shop, 629 Washington St, ☎ 502-633-4883, . M-Sa 10AM-6PM. Offers fine teas, accessories, and gifts. edit
Shelby County is officially classified by the state's Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control as "moist", meaning that the county as a whole is "dry" (not allowing alcohol sales) but contains a "wet" city where full retail sales, both packaged and by the drink, are allowed. The city of Shelbyville is wet. The surrounding county is 'moist" in a different sense, prohibiting package sales but allowing sales by the drink in larger restaurants (seating at least 100).
- Just Another Bar, 616 Main St., 633-2127.
- Sixth & Main Coffeehouse Inc, 547 Main St., 647-7751.
- Best Western Shelbyville Lodge, 115 Isaac Shelby Dr. (I-64 Exit 32B), 633-4400, . 79 rooms, outdoor pool, free high-speed internet and cable.
- Country Hearth Inn,  100 Howard Dr. (I-64 Exit 32B) 633-5771, . 40 rooms.
- Days Inn, 101 Howard Dr. (I-64 Exit 32B) 633-4005, . 64 rooms.
- Greenview Motel & Log Cabins, 2366 Shelbyville Rd. 26 rooms.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 110 Club House Dr. (I-64 Exit 35), 647-0109, . 81 rooms.
- Ramada, 251 Breighton Circle, +1 502-633-9933, .
Bed & Breakfast/Vacation Rentals
- '"Chandler Ridge'" 9771 Vigo Rd, Shelbyville. 502.220.0141 
- '"Walnut Grove'", 5970 Mt. Eden Road, Hwy. 53 Shelbyville 502.750.0955 
- Yellow Carriage House Bed & Breakfast, 4876 Shelbyville Rd., Simpsonville, 722-2039 or (877) 274-8378, .
- Guist Creek Lake Campground, 11990 Boat Dock Rd., 647-5359, . The campground is available from March 1 st through November for primitive or pull-through RV camping. All pull-through sites have water and electric hook-ups. There is a shower house with restrooms and a dumping station.
- Frankfort Kentucky State Capitol and home of Kentucky State University.
- Lexington Bluegrass horse region and home of University of Kentucky.
- Louisville Home of the Kentucky Derby and Louisville Slugger baseball bats.
|Routes through Shelbyville
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!