Shapinsay is one of Scotland's smaller Orkney Islands
Balfour - the ferry port and main centre.
Shapinsay makes a nice trip out from the (relative) bustle of Kirkwall, with a few sights and the chance to wander.
Several Orkney Ferries a day travel to and from Kirkwall.
At about 6km by 5km, you should be able to reach most sights on foot. A bike would come in useful though.
- Balfour Castle 01856 872856. This impressive looking castle is only open to guided tours on Wednesdays during summer.
- The Gatehouse. The entrance to the castle, by the harbour gives a good taste of what lies behind.
- Shapinsay Heritage Centre The Smithy, Balfour 01856 711258. An interesting collection if exhibits about the history of the island.
- Milldam RSPB Reserve 1km from the port, the bird hide overlooks a peacful lake.
- Balfour Castle 01865 711282.
- The Smithy Balfour. Moderately priced good food, would make a good lunchtime trip out from Kirkwall. Tables on the seafront too.