Shaoguan (韶关; Sháoguān) is a small city in Guangdong Province in China. It is famous for its surrounding nature and the hot springs.
A train ride from Guangzhou takes about 3 hours and should cost ¥39 on the hard seater.
The bullet train from Guangzhou takes about 50 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes and costs between 70 to 105 CNY depending on speed for a second class seat.
When you get off from Guangzhou Baiyun airport, take Intercity Bus must be convenient for you. The price of ticket is about CNY100/per.Please note that you check the bus with certificant.
The main bus terminal is just next to the train station. Buses leave from here to the major sights. Locally operating buses start here, but the town center is within walking distance. Just cross the river opposite the train station and you are almost there.
Tourist guides will occasionally offer their services to newly arrived travellers. Prices obviously are subject to negotiation.
- Nanhua Temple (南化神寺; Nánhuāshénsì). The former temple of Huineng (the sixth patriarch of Zen Buddhism) and the location of his mummified remains. As such, the temple is an important pilgrimage site for practitioners of Zen Buddhism. edit
- Danxia Mountain (丹霞山; Dānxiáshān). A canyon like valley carved into the stone. The main attractions include an old monastery on top and various formations with sexual characteristics. edit
- Nanling National Forest Park (南岭森林公园). Nanling national forest park is located in Ruyuan Yao Nationality Autonomous County and 8 kilometers from the bridge exit of Beijing-Zhuhai Expressway. The park covers an area of 27300 hectares. It is the core zone of Nanling Mountain, the only preserved virgin forest in Guangdong. The park has developed scenic spots including No.1 Peak in Guangdong (Shikengkong with altitude of 1902 meters), Water Loving Valley, Waterfall Groups and Small Yellow Mountain. edit
- Guangdong Grand Canyon (广东大峡谷). The Grand Canyon is located in Guangdong Ruyuan Yao Autonomous Dabu Town, from the Beijing-Zhuhai Expressway in Ruyuan export which is a journey of around 70 kilometers. The Guangdong Grand Canyon has a length of 15 kilometers and is more than 300 meters deep. The walls of the canyon consist of quartz sandstone. The original site of the Grand Canyon is a ravine in small basin, due to the Yanshan movement, which makes the crust and underlying block uplift and expand making a partial massif rifting subsidence of the formation of rift valley. edit
- Jiangwan district. This district is stretched along the river valley, there are 2 hot springs. The first is about 15 km before Jiangwan town and has a hotel (¥50), one time bathing in hot spring costs ¥10. The second one is 4 km past Jiangwan town and is free, but does not have accommodation facilities. There is Yao traditional village 8 km from Jiangwan. Many trekking opportunities in side valleys. You can walk along the main road past Jiangwan, 2nd hot spring and then across the mountain paths to Dabu Town, nearby Guangdong Grand Canyon. To get to Jiangwan take city bus 31 from Shaoguan East Train Station to the last stop, Longgui(龙归, takes around 40 mins,) then change to hourly (6am-6pm) bus to Jiangwan（龙归 to 江湾, 1.5 hours）town. Public bus runs only on the main road up to Jiangwan town. If you want travel in side valleys, negotiate service with motorbike taxis operators, hitch occasional cars or walk PS: The East train station is just for economical normal speed trains. As for High speed trains, you have to go to High-speed station by taking number 22 bus which takes around 40 min from Shao-guan east train station. edit
Restaurants in Shaoguan are not set as densly as in Guangzhou. A good place to find many restaurants is Heping Road (和平路) at the northern end of the main shopping and pedestrian area. The choices include a McDonalds and various Chinese cuisines.
It worths looking for local food which grown/ fed by villagers, such as chicken, plum, peach, vegetables. Price are very reasonable.
- Dongyuan Hotel (东园招待所; Dōngyuán Zhāodàisuǒ), (Next to the river at the junction of Jianguolu (健国路) and Dongdinanlu (东堤南路)). Rooms can be bargained down to ¥50 per bed and night. edit
- Hot Spring Hotel (泉景酒店; Quánjǐngjiǔdiàn), 1 Huanyuan West Street (环园西路1号; Huányuánxīlù), ☎ +86 751 8186068. edit
- Danxia Hotel (大丹霞酒店; Dàdānxiá jiǔdiàn), 128 Jiefang Road (解放路128号; Jiěfànglù), ☎ +86 751 8188206. edit
- Jiang wan district: as mentioned above, the 1st hot spring hostel is just RMB 50 / night. but not air conditioned. Contact: MS.Xu, 86-134 5032 1638