Shannon Harbour is a village in County Offaly, Ireland on the banks of the Grand Canal of Ireland. There are facilities for boats to park up on the edge of the canal. There are two pubs in the village, Gleesons and the Canal Bar.
On the River Shannon
R357 and R356 from Cloghan
Walk or Cycle or by boat!
- River Shannon. See all the boats parked up. Shannon Harbour is unique:: A purpose built village, it was designed,constructed and operated as a trans shipping centre.Situated on the Grand Canal at its terminus where it joins the Shannon at the mouth of the Brosna river. Shannon Harbour was originally a town constructed to meet the requirements of accomodiation and storage of its lifeblood, the Grand Canal. The great stonemasons of the 19th century knew their trade well. Many of the stone buildings remain including our Harbour Masters House,a historically listed building which has been recently restored to its luxury standard. Local Attractions:: The village has returned to life in recent years attracting visitors from all over the world for a myriad of reasons. Excellent course fishing facilities in a central location attract fishermen and women from Britain and mainland Europe. It is a birdwatchers paradise with many rare birds visiting and thriving for many years. The Bullock island, only a short walk form the 36th lock or lower lock is the last bastion of the endangered Corncrake, once one of the most common European birds. In the village there are two pubs, a shop,plenty of seats and picnic benches.There are numerous tourist facilities within the locality. Shannon Harbour is adjacent to several 18-hole golf courses,all offering excellent facilities. Other local attractions include - Clomacnoise, Leap Castle, Birr Castle, Glendeer pet farm. edit
- Walks. Along the banks of the Grand Canal which leads to the Shannon. The river Brosna is also not far from the canal. There is a roadway along the side of the canal which is perfect for a peaceful stroll. It is possible to walk the length of the canal from Dublin to Shannon Harbour. Along this route there are many additional walkways of interest. edit
- McIntyres and Canal Bar, Shannon Harbour. Music most weekends. McIntyres is a traditional Irish pub and shop. There will always be a friendly face there for a chat over a pint! edit
- McIntyres. Food served in the summer season. Banagher and Shannonbridge only a short distance away for more restaurants. edit
- Canal Bar. for more drink edit
- The Harbour Masters House, Shannon Harbour, Birr Co Offaly., ☎ 353879220853, . Built in 1806, and recently restored to a luxury standard. The Harbour Masters House Bed and Breakfast is located on the banks of the Grand Canal in the village of Shannon Harbour with all bedrooms ensuite. Fishing, boating, pubs and facilities all within 50 meters. Boats for hire, drying room, bait and bait shed available. Private car park, garden, balcony, oil fired central heating, open turf fires and all modern conveniences. TV in all rooms. Bord Failte 4 star approved. Tea and coffee making facilities are available in all bedrooms. www.theharbourmastershouse.ie edit