Seddon is a town in Marlborough (New Zealand) near the mouth of the Awatere River. Until the grape boom, Seddon's farmers struggled farming sheep on dry hills. Now you will struggle to find a sheep in amongst the vineyards. Named after Richard John Seddon, Premier of New Zealand 1883-1906.
Travelling north, Blenheim is 15min from Seddon on State Highway 1. Picton is a further 20min. South of Seddon is Ward (15min), Kaikoura (1.25h) and Christchurch (4h).
All Christchurch - Picton buses and shuttles stop in Seddon.
TranzCoastal, +64 4 495 0775 (email firstname.lastname@example.org , fax +64 4 472 8903 , Freephone 0800 TRAINS (0800 872 467) (NZ only)), . The Christchurch - Picton train will stop in Seddon on request.
Walk. It isn't big.
- Take a drive out to the coast - there are vast swathes of grape vines as well as access to the wild shore with sweeping views up and down the coast.
- One of the few double decker bridges in the world, the top deck with rail and the bottom with road traffic has just been taken out of commission. Just north of Seddon on State Highway 1. First opened to traffic in 1902, the rail portion remains now that the new road bridge is completed. The old roadway has been removed.
- The Molesworth Tour Company, ☎ +64 3 572 8025 (email@example.com, fax: 03 577 9895), . South Island back country tours departing from Blenheim 1-5 days in length. edit
- Awatere Golf Club, State Highway 1, ☎ +64 3 575-7072. edit
Visit Yealands Winery for a wine tasting experience in a world class environmentally friendly vineyard and winery.
- Station Café and Wine Bar, State Highway One, ☎ +64 3 575-7902, . Part art gallery, part cellar door, part cafe, part historic railway station. Can arrange tickets on the train. edit
- Cosy Corner Cafe (Starborough Tearooms), State Highway 1, ☎ +64 3 575 7285 (fax: +64 3 575-7085). edit
- Starborough Tavern, 23 Goulter Street, ☎ 03 575 7006. edit
- For those sick of travelling on SH1, the Acheron Road through the Molesworth Station is as remote as you can get in a two wheel drive car. The Molesworth is a vast tract of inland farming country and a back-country link between Seddon and Hanmer Springs. The road is generally open to the public from 28 December - 1 April, 7.00 am-7.00 pm (but may be closed at any time due to weather, fire risk or road conditions). The turnoff is on the straight north of Seddon and is well sign-posted. No fuel or shop until Hanmer Springs.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!