Schwerin  is a town in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
It is the state capital, and with fewer than 95,000 inhabitants is also the smallest German state capital. Nevertheless it is a very beautiful city with loads of things to do and see. It is a ideal base for trips to the surrounding lake landscape (Mecklenburgische Seenplatte) as well as to the Baltic Sea coast.
Schwerin has a certain provincial charm that is very distinct from nearby cities like Rostock and Hamburg. As there is no major University in Schwerin, the city has a lack of young people as many have to leave for their studies. This makes Schwerin a beautiful, silent but not very young and hip administrative capital of the north eastern state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
Schweriner Schloss (Schwerin Castle)
There are Busses from Berlin and Rostock. (Meinfernbus, Flixbus)
The town is also very well connected by train.
Best way to get around is definitely by bicycle. As city is not big and has many nice bike lanes, you can pretty much get anywhere within 20-30 min.
The centre can be discovered by foot.
- Schweriner Schloss (Schwerin Castle) – The castle nowadays houses the state parliament. It sits next to the Schweriner See (lake) and adjectant to a park. – Opening hours April 15 – October 14: Tue.-Sun. 10 am – 6 pm. Oct. 15 – April 14: Tue.-Sun. 10 am – 5 pm. Admission: 6 €, discounted (school children, senior citizens): 4 €, Familyticket: 10 €. Tel.: + 49 (0)385 - 5252 920.
- Kunstsammlungen Schwerin (Schwerin Art Collections) – Opening hours April 15 – October 14: Tue.-Sunday 10 am – 6 pm, Thu. 12 am – 8 pm, Oct. 15 – April 14: Tue.-Sun. 10 am – 6 pm, Thu. 1 pm – 8 pm. Tel.: T +49 385 5958 0. Admission: 8 €, discounted 6 €, Family: 16 €. – Alter Garten 3. Tram nr. 1 till Station: Marienplatz, than after 5min walk along the Schloss Straße you will reach the Alten Garten and the Schwerin Art Collection, or bus nr. 1o or 100 till Station: Alten Garten / Schwerin Castle.
- Mecklenburgisches Staatstheater (State Theatre of Mecklenburg)
- Burg- und Schlossgarten (Palace Gardens)
- Alter Garten ("Alter Garten" Square)
- Dom und Marktplatz (Cathedral and the Market Square)
- Rund um den Pfaffenteich (All around Lake Pfaffenteich)
- Historische Schelfstadt (Schelfstadt: Town with historical buildings)
- TV tower. It has an observation deck and a restaurant 100 meters above ground. The 136.5m-high TV tower is from unique design. As a curiosity close to it, there is a guyed radio mast, which is 273m high.
Climb the tower of the Schwerin Cathedral. Go via the main entrance, then go to the back of the pews, pay the attendant €2 and climb the spiral staircase. At the top, there are 360 degree views of the city.
- Cafe Prag. Nice food at reasonable prices. edit
- Back Factory. Cheap bakery snacks and sandwiches. edit
- Zum Freischütz, . a pub that serves great food and drinks. Try the Fladenbrot. One is enough to share between two people. Probably the best pub in town, that's why you can expect it to be very crowded. edit
- Bolero Bar, . relaxed cocktailbar with quite nice mexican food, next to Pfaffenteich in the city centre. edit
- Rösterei Fuchs, . Roasts their own coffee and serves great hot chocolate. They are located on Am Markt. edit
- Phillies, . one of the best cocktailbars in Schwerin, though a bit expensive. edit
- Heintzes Töchter, . A great hostel about 5 minutes walk from the Schwerin Castle.