Saarbrücken is in Saarland, Germany.
Saarbrücken is the capital city for the Saarland.
Saarbrücken Airport  (IATA: SCN, ICAO: EDDR) is an international airport and is located 15 km to the city center. Regional bus R10 travels once an hour from the airport to the main railway station and takes 28 minutes. A single ticket costs €2.30.
Zweibrücken Airport can be reached from the main station twice a day by a direct bus #199. It takes 45 minutes. During the day it can also be reached by taking a train to Homburg and from there bus R7. This will take 1.5 hours.
Frankfurt Hahn Airport . There are no direct connections from this airport to Saarbrücken. One of the possibilities you have is to take the Airport Shuttle Mosel (RegioLinie 750)  from the general bus station 500 meters from the airport to Bullay and switch to the regional train to Saarbrücken.
Autobahn A6, near the France border. About 2 hours from Mannheim.
Saarbrücken is served by the German train system. There are direct trains from Frankfurt, as well as to Paris. Frequently travel through the rest of Germany requires one to change trains in Mannheim.
- Between Saarbrücken in Germany and Sarreguemines in France, both of which are served by good domestic train connections, you can take a ride on the Saarbahn, a border-crossing railway which nowadays forms a part of the traffic network of Saarland: . The journey takes approximately 30 minutes and in 2010 the ticket (to be bought at a machine, present also at the station of Sarreguemines) cost 4,60 €.
Saarbrücken has an excellent public transport system . It has city buses and a tram line. Given that the city is not very big, you can also reach most places within 20 minutes of walking.
- Saarbrücken Schloss (Palace) 
- St Johanner Market . Every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. there is also a farmers market where regional products are sold.
Also check the listings on the official webpage of the city .
Music and Performing Arts
- Perspectives Festival  German-French festival of theater, dance and music.
- Saarländisches Staatstheater  Opera, theatre and dance performances, symphony and chamber concerts and more.
- Deutsche Radio Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern 
- Saarbrücker Kammerkonzerte 
- HFM University of Music 
- "Urwald vor den Toren der Stadt" . A nature reserve ideal for hiking. Maps are available online (front:  and back: ). They can also be picked up for free at the tourist information at city hall. One way to get there is to take the tram to stop "Heinrichshaus", which is also marked in the bottom left corner of the map with an "S".
A Saarlandish specialty is Schwenker. A steak prepared on a special grill where the grilling rack is swung by the cook over a fire. This is often served at festivals and beergartens.
- Alex, Saarstr. 15, . edit
- Alex Brasserie, Bahnhofstr. 38, . edit
- Grand, the Asia Restaurant, Triererstr. 14, . edit
- Sander Bakery, Försterstraße 29 (Nauwieser Quarter) (The logo over the door says 'Stein'.). Local bakery with one of the best croissants in town. Come early as they might be sold out quickly. edit
- Va Piano, Bahnhofstr. 22-24, . edit
- Diskontoschenke, Dudweilerstraße 2, ☎ 0681/9386440, . Don't be scared by the look from outside - sometimes there are drunk people in front of this place, because they have a cheap takeaway stand. Inside you will find a traditional restaurant with very reasonable prices and a wide range of typical food from the region. edit
- Brasserie Schlachthof, Straße des 13. Januar 35. edit
- Gästehaus Erfort, Mainzerstr. 95, . edit
- Hashimoto, Cecilienstr. 7. edit
- Le Noir, Mainzerstr 26, . edit
- Rizzo, Fröschengasse 1. edit
The main town square (St. Johanner Market) and the Nauwieser Quarter feature many bars and restaurants.
- Stiefel Bräu, Am Stiefel 2, ☎ 0681 - 9 36 45 - 0, . edit
- Cafe Kostbar, Nauwieserstr. 19 (Nauwieser Quarter), ☎ 0681-374360. Comfortable, casual restaurant with nice outside seating and daily specials edit
- Caffè et al., Cecilienstr. 16 (Nauwieser Quarter), ☎ 0681 / 958 19 72, . Their most delicious rich hot chocolate comes in three flavours: plain, chili and cardamom. They also have one alternating (Persian) lunch dish from Monday to Friday, and tasty sandwiches. Closed on Sundays. edit
- Saarbrücken Europa-Jugendherberge, Meerwiesertalweg 31 (bus 101 from Rathaus to Prinzenweiher takes 8 minutes or bus 124 from Saarbrücken main railway station likewise to Prinzenweiher), ☎ +49 681 33040, . A youth hostel located between the city and the university. €18.40 per night with breakfast. edit
- Domicil Leidinger, Mainzerstraße 10, ☎ 0681 93 27 0, . edit
- Völklingen Ironworks  is situated just outside Saarbrücken. It was one of the most important Ironworks in the world. It was closed in 1986, Now they are the only intact example, in the whole of western Europe and North America, as such they have been included on the UNESCO World Heritage List. There are museum and Multimedia displays brining the site to life. Open 10am - 7pm (summer); 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. (winter). Entrance fee €12; Tuesdays from 3 p.m. free entrance. There is a Train station in Völklingen about a three minute walk from the site. It is 10 minutes by train from Saarbrücken Hauptbahnhof.
- Saarschleife (Saar loop)  - Take the regional train to Mettlach and then walk for about 5 km along the river upstream. There is also a lookout ("Cloef") which can be reached within about 1 hour from the bottom of the hill. Make sure you are on the left side of the river if you want to reach the lookout (you have to cross the river once when coming from the train station). You can also easily go to the Saar loop by bike from Saarbrücken (60 km one way).
- Luxembourg - Easily reachable by bus (direct connection: 1 hour and 30 minutes).
- Strasbourg - Easily reachable by regional train (direct connection: 1 hour and 45 minutes).
- Trier - Porta Nigra, nice old town center, etc. Easily reachable by regional train (direct connections between 1 and 1.5 hours).
- Metz - French city with the modern art gallery Centre Pompidou-Metz, Cathedral, food market, etc. Easily reachable by regional train within about 1 hour (some direct trains are available). Consider the special DB regional train ticket "Saar-Lor-Lux"  for the entire trip, especially if you are travelling in a group.
- Nancy - A cheap option to go there is to buy a Saar-Lorraine-Tarif ticket  (only available at the train station; return tickets can only be bought at the counter).