Sandnes is a city in Rogaland. Sandnes is part of the flat geographical area Jæren that goes from Brusand in the south to Randaberg in the North. The village of Hommersåk is covered separately.
Sandnes is a city in Rogaland county in Norway. It is the 8th largest city in Norway with well over 70.000 residents and is neighbor to the city of Stavanger which is the 4th largest city in Norway. Sandnes was granted city status in 1860 and was home to a big pottery in the late 18th century.
Sandnes train-station is located on the Jærbanen railroad . Both local and express trains stop at Sandnes.
Bus no 9 goes from Sola Airport Stavanger to Sandnes.
Buses and trains are found at the bus terminal in the city center. Local buses are all organized by Kolumbus, trains by NSB.
Everything in the city center is within walking distance. Bicycles can be borrowed for free at the bus terminal during office hours. The local government has invested heavily in bike paths, these are usually paved with a red material.
All the local taxis use the meter. It may be slightly cheaper to show up at the bus terminal to get one than to call them and have them show up at the hotel that may be meters away from the terminal anyway.
All new commercial buildings have to be wheelchair accessible.
- Vitenfabrikken [the Science Factory], Storgata 28, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 97 25 40, . Science Factory is a museum and science center located in the center of Sandnes. edit
- Soma Gård, Sandnesveien 246, 4312 Sandnes, ☎ 917 05 756, . Soma Gård is a petting zoo on the outskirts of Sandnes. Lots of activities for kids. Bring your own food and use the grills provided or buy something to eat in the little kiosk. edit
- Sandnes Golfklubb, Bærheimveien 39, 4312 Sandnes, ☎ 415 89 340, . Sandnes Golfklubb is located on the outskirts of Sandnes, between Sandnes, Sola and Stavanger. It features a full 18 hole golf course, driving range and a 6 hole short course. edit
- Actionball, Dyre Vaas vei 61, 4317 Sandnes, ☎ 909 43 000, . A multi activity center where you can play indoor football, squash, beachvolleyball and golf simulator. edit
- Dalsnuten, Gramstad, Sandnes (Access from Rv13 and Daleveien towards Dale, turn off towards Gramstad. By public transportation, bus no. 29. from Sandnes, get off at Gramstad or at Dale.), ☎ 51 85 92 00, . Go hiking up a hilltop that provides an amazing view over Sandnes, Stavanger and Jæren. Easy hike, parking at start of path. Allow 2-3 hours for a round trip. edit
- Rogaland Arboret, Espeland, 4308 Sandnes (From E39, 5 km south of Sandnes, follow sign to the arboretum for 2 km.), ☎ 51 67 21 07, . Established in 1972, the arboretum includes 7 hectares of forest and parkland with approximately 1400 different plants and trees. The arboretum is always open for visitors. Parking kr. 30. Suggested donation 5 NOK pr. pers. edit
- Sandnes Kino, Vågsgaten 33, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 51 07 00, . Movie theater, located in the city center. Contains 7 (6) auditoriums with up to date sound and screen technology. edit
- Kino Kino, Olav Kyrresgate 5, 4307 Sandnes, ☎ 51 60 20 00, . KinoKino is part of Sandnes Kulturhus edit
- Kvadrat, Gamle Stokkavei 1, 4313 Sandnes, . Mall is one of the largest in Europe. edit
- Sandnes Sentrum, Langgata, . Nice shopping street with lots of small stores and cafés. edit
- Ivar Skei Musikkhandel, Gjesdalveien 25, ☎ 51 66 17 98. Old school music store with lots of charm. edit
Sandnes has several restaurants with both local and international cuisine.
- Gamlaværket, St. Olavs Gate 38, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 68 51 70, . Prides themselves on serving traditional local food in historical surroundings. edit
- Charles & De, Langgaten 41, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 68 32 00, . Run by Charles Tjessem that is a born competitor and has participated in the norwegian culinary team since 1997, becoming its captain from 2001 to 2004. He has been acclaimed at many international competitions, in both individual and team events. After having directed the Culinary Institute of Norway, Charles Tjessem, was able to practice the cuisine he likes for Statoil, an oil company, which entrusted the catering of its reception facilities to him. Nowadays, however, he is really happy with his own restaurant, tavern, café, bakery and delicatessen: Charles & De! edit
- Asia News, Langgata 25, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 62 30 20. Serves both Chinese and Vietnamese food, and makes good vegetarian dishes. edit
- Mondo, Rådhusgata 3, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 66 06 00, . Opened 2016, modern restaurant at the seafront in the harbor. edit
- Sandnes Brygge, Havnegata 15, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 51 67 38 90, . Nice restaurant at the seafront in the harbor. edit
- Delikatessen, Langgata 1B, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 934 55 930, . Modern restaurant in the shopping street. edit
- Melkebaren, Industrigata 1, 4307 Sandnes, ☎ 51 67 44 99 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . One of Norways best craft beer pubs. over 30 beers on tap, and several hundred different types of bottled beer. edit==Drink==
- Tribute, Julie Eges Gate 12, 4306 Sandnes, ☎ 934 49 069, . Tribute is a rock bar with a small stage. Good beer selection. edit
- Petite, Industrigata 1, 4307 Sandnes, ☎ 51 31 33 62, . Nice bar, specializes on drinks. edit
Sandnes has several hotels, inns and a camping/caravan site.
- Kongeparken family theme-park close to Ålgård