San Miguel is the third largest city in El Salvador and center of agriculture and production. It is less cosmopolitan than the capital San Salvador in the West but the surrounding areas of San Miguel are very beautiful with many beaches around the city. The weather is amazing, very warm and subtle and so the "Wild East" offers tourists the opportunity to get off the beaten path and see an authentic El Salvador
The Pan-American highway travels through El Salvador and is a safe route for entering the country and travelling between San Miguel in the East and San Salvador in the West
From San Miguel bus terminal there are regular one hour bus rides to El Cuco where you can get a taxi to Playa El Esteron and Intipuca Beach
- San Miguel Volcano is a stratovolcano and one of the most active in the country.
- Downtown San Miguel Av. Roosevelt is the place to find the Metrecentro Mall, bars and nightclubs which also hosts the biggest carnical in Central America in November
- El Cuco is a quintessential beach with dark sands, lined with vendor huts and seafood restaurants and shaggy palms
- Playa Las Flores is next to El Cuco and is regarded as one of the best surf spots in all of El salvador
- Playa El Esteron is located on the other side of El Cuco and is one of the most beautiful and secluded beaches in all of El Salvador
- Intipuca Beach is next to Playa Esterone and is famous for El Salvador's first microbrewery and where the river joins the ocean is hugely popular for stand up paddleboarding.
- Surfing in Playa Las Flores, one of the best surf spots in El Salvador
- Stand Up Paddleboarding at the famous Intipuca Beach
- Boat trips around the islands
- Water skiing, Tubing, Wake boarding, Para sailing, Jet skiing in Playa El Esteron, one of the most beautiful beaches in El Salvador
- Kayaking through the mangroves
- Volcano hiking up Chaparrastique - One of the most active volcanoes in El Salvador
- Waterfalls and hot springs
- Nature hikes and lake tours to Isla de Olomega on Lake Olomega
Since 2004, San Miguel has doubled its size, which made the city invest in malls around the modern areas of San Miguel. Metrocentro is one of the newest mall in San Miguel. Now the city has 2 malls and many other plazas in the important areas.
On the coast there is also an artisans village in Intipuca Beach where can you can purchase an array of arts and crafts
San Miguel, like any other modern city, has a lot options, either fast food restaurants or, for sit down restaurants there are a few options in Metrocentro.
You can find the best sea food in central america fresh from the coast of San Miguel at El Cuco, Playa Esteron, Intipuca Beach and Playa Las Flores.
For nightlife you can head to Ave. Roosevelt in San Miguel which has numerous bars and clubs open until the early hours of the morning and is also host to the biggest carnival in Central America in November.
Intipuca Beach is home to the first microbrewery in El Salvador and offers an array of hand-craft beers by the beach at La Tortuga Verde day and night at there "One Winged Pelican" Bar
San Miguel has the most modern hotels in the eastern side of El Salvador, right in front of Metrocentro you will find a four star hotel, Comfort Inn a few miles ahead there's another good option,the Hotel Tropico Inn. There are also budget hotels located next to the bus terminal.
- La Tortuga Verde, ((La Tortuga Verde will cover the $5 taxi ride from El Cuco)), ☎ (503)73389646, . (firstname.lastname@example.org), Beach resort, turtle sanctuary, swimming pool, jacuzzi, yoga and meditation temples, health and beauty spa, restaurant and bar, shuttle service to El Cuco, Intipuca Beach and Las Flores surf spot. Other tours include, stand up paddle boarding, island boat trips, water-skiing, wake-boarding, para-sailing, volcano and nature hiking, hot springs, lake tours, and kayaking through mangroves. Dorm $6, Private $20-30, Bungalow $50-100, House $100-150. edit
- Hotel Miraflores, Playa Las Flores, El Cuco, San Miguel Ph: (503) 7890-4751 Incredible view over one of the best waves of El Salvador, Las Flores point break. Nice rooms with amenities such as a swimming pool, hammocks, board rental, massages, restaurant service, sundeck, boat trips and tours.
- Las Flores Surf Club, Located at "Wild East", El Cuco, San Miguel. Ph: USA Offices: (888) 899-8823 . Surfing resort with facilities and equipment that include a private beach access road, beachfront palapas with hammocks, beach shower, boat house with enclosed surfboard storage, restaurant, infinity pool, swim-up bar, massage table and canopy.
- Comfort Inn Real San Miguel, Final Alameda Roosevelt Y Ca a la Unión, Esquina Opuesta, ☎ +503 2600 0200 (fax: +503 2600 0203). The Comfort Inn Real San Miguel has 86 single and double rooms, two meeting rooms, pool, gym, restaurant and tequila bar that serves regional and international dishes. "Prices. edit
- First class express busses leave from the bus station several times a day for San Salvador. They cost $5 and take 2-2 1/2 hours.
- There are regular busses that leave El Cuco for San Miguel bus station where you can catch a connecting bus to many other destinations inside or outside the country. The bus costs $1 and takes about two hours.
- Some hotels offer a shuttle service to San Miguel or other destinations inside the country.
- La Tortuga Verde offers transport between El Salvador and Nicaragua (skipping Honduras) by private boat $200 for up to 20 people.
WikiPedia:San Miguel, El Salvador