San Juan del Norte is a city in Rio San Juan department of Nicaragua.
San Juan de Nicaragua (a.k.a. San Juan del Norte or Grey Town) is a small port town of 1500 people, on the Caribbean coast of (south-east) Nicaragua.
By end 2009 you can reach San Juan del Norte from Bluefields once a week. This boat leaves San Juan del Norte for Bluefields on Wednesday 8 am.
Yo can get there as well from San Carlos with a 6 h boat (fast one, slow one 11 h) which leaves San Carlos Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 6 am.
La Costeña now has two flights per week, en route with Ometepe, and San Carlos
Managua - San Juan de Nicaragua (Greytown) - Managua and Managua - San Carlos (Rio San Juan) - Managua (Thursday and Sunday).
Future plans are to connect San Juan del Norte with Puerto Limon and Tortuguero in Costa Rica.
By boat, there is no road in or out, all communication is done by water either in canoes, slow boat, fast boat, or fishing boat. Some tourist come by private boat from Boca de Sabalos, Montecristo River Lodge El Castillo or San Carlos on a fishing expedition or just for birding and a great nature wild life tour.
- Blue lagoon (natural swimming hole.). A small lagoon between rio Frio and the Caribbean sea, a place to go camping or swimming , you could walk to the ocean, carry a machete to clear your path. edit
- The old historic cementery (Where Greytown used to be), Near the new airstrip (Take a boat ride). In the Gold Rush era, Graytown was a booming town, and it cemetery was segregated by religion, country of origin and economic status. Some wealthy families came through here edit
- Sport fishing (Caribbean sea and lagoons). (,You can rent local pangas to take you fishing or go a nice boat rental at rio Indio Lodge (expensive) if you go with a local panga it may be best to bring your own gear. You may also go fishing with Montecisto´s boat from [[Boca de Sabalos]]) edit
- Birding & Nature tour (Local guide). Go deep into the rain forest on small boat in Rio Indio and Rio Maiz, go explore we not to many people has been. One of the most remote places left in Central America. edit
- Canoe & kayak tour (160 Km Montecristo to San Juan del Norte), Camping at various location, ☎ 505 86499012, . Montecristo River Lodge organize canoeing and kayaking tours from Boca de Sabalos. Is a 5 days, 4 night camping fishing expedition. $350.00 per person, if you want the guide to be your cook add $100.00 edit