San Cristóbal is one of the Galápagos Islands, part of Ecuador.
- Puerto Baquerizo Moreno - The main town on the islands with tourist facilities.
- El Progreso - One of the first towns in Galapagos that was founded in the 1880s as a sugar mill factory. This town is an access point and site on highlands tour to help understand the nerafrious past. It has the second largest population on the islands.
- Cerro Verde - Close to Puerto Chino and the Galapaguera, this tiny hamlet is a major area used to produce vegetables. A restaurant is present, but probably only opens when you reserve ahead.
Aerogal  flies to San Cristobal 5 days per week, TAME  4 days and LAN  2 days. (see Galapagos Islands Get In for more info).
There are 2 daily boats from Puerto Ayora in Santa Cruz leaving around 7 AM and 2 PM. The two hour boatride is rough and noisy and cost $30-35 one-way.
EMETEBE has flights to Baltra-airport and Isabela if there is enough demand.
There is one major road leading from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno in the west to the beach of Puerto Chino on the west coast. On the way you'll pass the villages El Progreso and Cerro Verde. There are collectivos going to the villages or you can take a taxi. Hitchhiking is also a good alternative.
The following sites can be visited from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno without a guide:
- Interpretation Center - Here you can learn more about the history of the Galápagos and the conservation of this unique piece of nature. The center is at the western edge of town, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, near the university. Admission is free. Behind the interpretation center is Pepe, a tortuga gigantus that was found in the islands in the 70s and was originally housed with the local church. There is also trails leading to Cerror Tijeratas and aditional trail to hidden beaches.
- Cerro Tijeretas - (Frigatebird hill). If you follow the trails further up you come to a set of viewpoint overlooking the a bay. Nesting frigate birds can be seen here. It is possible to snorkel in the bay below, Punto Corona
- La Loberia - This is a rocky beach, a good place to see marine iguanas, blue footed boobies, yellow canaries, and a large sea lion colony. You can also do some snorkeling by yourself. Sometimes it is also possible to surf. It is about 1 km east of the airport along a dirt path.
- Puerto Chino - A small quiet beach on the east side of the island. It's connected to Puerto Baquerizo Moreno by the only road crossing the island. Camping is possible with permission of the national park.
The following visitor sites are only accessible by boat and/or with a guide:
- Kicker rock - Kicker rock (León Dormido) - a natural cathedral rising out the water. It's a good place for scuba diving or snorkeling.
- Isla Lobos - Nesting bird colonies and a sea lion colony can be seen on this island.
- Galapaguera Natural - Giant turtles can be seen in the wild. It's located at the northern end of the island.
- Cerro Brujo - (Wizard Hill) An old craterous collapsed outcrop that demonstrated the differences in volcanic rocks with a white-sand beach. It lies just north of Kicker Rock. Home to sea lions, blue footed boobies, marine iguanas, brown pelicans, frigate birdgs, Sally Lightfoot crabs, sea turtles, and rays.
- Punta Pitt - Wet landing site on the northeast end of the island that features all 3 species of booby (Blue Footed, Red Footed, and Masked). The site also features lava formations, and at times, Frigate Birds.
This is a great destination for scuba divers, growing in popularity. Said to be equal or better than Kicker's Rock itself.
- El Junco - A freshwater lake at an altitude 600m. Demonstrates plants intrinsic of the micronia zone and a location frequented by the frigrate birds to clean their wings. It is on the way to Puerto Chino and is typically visited on highlands tours. As it is National Park Area a guide is required.
- Galapaguera de Cerro Colorado - A part of land reserved for the repopulation of the giant turtles. The turtles were moved from the northern part of the island. There is also a small turtle breeding center and a interpretation center. It is on the road between El Junco and Puerto Chino. There are some short trails through the reserve. Admission is free but a guide is required.
- Mountainbiking from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno to Puerto Chino is ambitious even for die-hard mountain bikers, but if you hitchhike the uphill parts it'll make a nice daytrip and you can see some of the sites on the way.
Snorkeling and diving operator
- Chalo Tour's - A professional local agency, that will advise you well on where to dive. Daily trips to Kicker's Rock and Punta Pitt. With all the permits from the Galapagos National Park.  . Telephone (+593)(5)2520953. email@example.com Ask for Chalo.
From San Cristobal, 2 daily ferries only run to Santa Cruz. If you visit the island via tour you might stop off at the closest islands to San Cristobal:
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!