Samut Prakan (สมุทรปราการ) is a separate province to the south east of Bangkok City. It is pronounced Samut Prargarn.
The province is divided in six districts.
Samut Prakan, also known as Pak Nam, is located 29 kilometres south of Bangkok, around the area where the Chao Phraya River flows into the Gulf of Thailand. The town dates from the Ayutthaya period, home to countless historical and cultural sites.
You can use the old Sukhumvit Road and also Highway Number 303 to get there. The distance is only 29 kilometres to Samut Prakan town.
Distances from Amphoe Muang Samut Prakan to other Amphoes and King Amphoe :
- Phra Pradaeng 12 km.
- Bang Phli 17 km.
- Bang Bo 38 km.
- Phra Samut Chedi 21 km.
- King Amphone Bang Sao Thong 32 km.
Air-conditioned buses (of the BMTA Bangkok Mass Transit Authority)
- Line No. 502 (Sam Rong - Pak Khlong Talat), }
- Line No. 506 (Pak Kret - Phra Pradaeng)
- Line No. 507 (Sam Rong - Tha Phra)
- Line No. 508 (Pak Nam - Tha Ratchaworadit)
- Line No. 511 (Pak Nam - Pratunam - Ratchadamnoen Klang Road(Khao San) - Southern Bus Terminal 'Sai Tai')
- Line No. 513 (Rangsit - Pu Chao Saming Phrai)
- Line No. 523 (Sam Rong Thewet via Expressway)
- Line No. 525 (Pak Nam - Tha Chang)
- Line No. 102 (Pak Nam - Chong Nonsee)
- Line No. 126 (Nonthaburi - Sam Rong)
- Line No. 129 (Thang Duan - Kasetsart University - Sam Rong)
- Line No. 142 (Wat Lau - Samut Prakan)
- Line No. 145 (Suan Chatuchak - Samut Prakan)
In early 2006, BMTA has renumbered all air-conditioned buses to higher number. For example from No. 11 to No. 511. Some air-conditioned buses numbers remain the same. Please consult official BMTA web site http://www.bmta.co.th/engversion/eng_version.htm for full details.
Non-air conditioned buses
- Line No. 2 (Sam Rong - Pak Khlong Talad)
- Line No. 6 (Phra Pradaeng - Bang Lamphu)
- Line No. 13 (Rangsit - Phu Chao Saming Phrai)
- Line No. 20 (Pom Phra Chun- Tha Nam Din Daeng)
- Line No. 23 (Sam Rong Thewet via Expressway)
- Line No. 25 (Pak Nam - Tha Chang)
- Line No. 45 (Sam Rong - Ratchaprasong)
- Line No. 82 (Phra Pradaeng - Bang Lamphu)
- Line No. 102 (Pak Nam - Chong Nonsi)
- Line No. 116 (Samrong - Sathorn)
- Line No. 129 (Kasetsart University - Sam Rong via Expressway)
- Line No. 138 (Chatuchak - Phra Pradaeng via Expressway)
- Line No. 145 (Suan Chatuchak - Pak Nam)
Phra Pradaeng County : You can take local motorcycle-taxi or rent a bike to take a one-day trip by yourself.
- Ancient City (เมืองโบราณ mueang boran), ☎ 0 2323 9253, 0 2709 1644, . 8AM-5PM, daily. Has scaled replicas of buildings from all over Thailand and is interesting to cycle round. To get there independently from Bangkok, take the Skytrain to On Nut. Then a 511 air conditioned bus (ask to be told when to get off for Muang Boran). Then you take a no. 36 pickup truck bus 'songthaew' 8 or 9 baht, the rest of the way (ask to be told when you're there or keep looking left across the canal). That's an hour or more on the buses. A taxi ride from On Nut (Skytrain station) costs around 170 baht. [Jan 25, 2016. You can get a taxi from Bearing for around 130 Baht] Adult 700 baht, Child 400? baht; After 4pm half price.. edit
- Crocodile Farm & Zoo, ☎ +66 (0)2 387 0020. 7AM-6PM, daily. This place is the largest crocodile farm in the world and is certainly worth visiting, if not just to see the crocodile wrestling and acrobat elephant shows. There is an education and research center for the preservation of wildlife and also a dinosaur museum. A fun day out for all the family. 300 baht for adults, 200 baht for children. edit
- Erawan Museum, Sukhumwit Road entering to Samut Prakan (From the airport, this is only about 35 minutes away if you take the Motorway and then the Kanchanaphisek Outer Ring Road. The elephant is immediately noticeable at the Sukhumwit Road exit. From Bangkok, it takes about 35 minutes from On Nut Sky Train Station. A taxi from there wouldn’t cost more than 150 baht.If you go there by taxi then make sure he takes the Kanchanapisek Outer Ring road as there is an exit right by the museum. If you had to cross the river by boat, a taxi from the other side would only take about 15 minutes or so.), . 8 a.m.-6 p.m.. the most noticeable landmark in that area is The Three-Headed Elephant. The size and the structure attract tons of people to worship it. The three storeys inside the elephant contain antiquities and priceless collection of ancient religious objects of Kun Lek Viriyapant who is the museum owner. Its body made from bronze with pink pedestal rounded base decorated with millions of little tiles. The body is about 29 meters height. The whole height is about 44 meters. The design of all three floors represents three worlds. The lower floor is the underwater world. The upper floor is the earth, Kao Prasumain. The top is the second heaven. Getting there : Bus no.25, 142, 365 and air con bus no.102, 507, 511, 536 150 baht for adults, 50 baht for children. 50 baht baht for visiting the grounds only.. edit
- Bang Pu Seaside (สถานตากอากาศบางปู), ☎ +662 323 9983. 08.00-18.00, daily. It was built in 1937, In This area has a rich nature and route for bird watching that you can watch all the year especially flocks of migrating seagulls which immigrate from Siberia during October to November. edit
- Wat Asokaram (วัดอโศการาม). as ‘A place of pleasure’, A worth visiting and seeing in this temple is Phra Thutangkha Chedi, a group of 13 chedi as a representative of the 13 duties of the monks on their religious trips. edit
- Wat Bang-Phli Yai Nai (วัดบางพลีใหญ่ใน). A great time to visit is Yon Bua or Rap Bua Festival which is one day before the full moon of the 11th lunar month. edit
Phra Samut Chedi County
- Phra Chulachomklao Fort (ป้อมพระจุลจอมเกล้า). Open 08:00-18:00 daily. The historical fort during Franco-Siamese War in 1893 against two powerful countries; England and France. This place you can visit a statue of King Chulalongkorn wearing his marines’ uniform. Behind of the statue is the fort which still have machine gun. Then you can see decommissioned ships that served a longest period service, HTMS Maeklong without any fee. edit
Phra Pradaeng County
- Bang Namphueng Floating Market (ตลาดน้ำบางน้ำผึ้ง). Many local products, local delicious taste food and homegrown fruit in canalside lifestyle community. edit
- Sri Nakhon Khuean Khan Park and Botanical Garden (สวนสาธารณะและสวนพฤกษชาติ ศรีนครเขื่อนขันธ์). 06.00-20.00 daily. as ‘The lung of Bangkok’ this place is popular for relaxing, exercising and picnic, also has ecosystem education for plant and animals species nearby. edit
- Siamese Fighting Fish Gallery (พิพิธภัณฑ์ปลากัดไทย). 10.00-17.00 daily. as ‘Life Learning Center’ to support the ecological tourism and especially fighting fish lover, many species fighting fish are displayed here. free entrance fees. edit
- Baan Toop : Workshop place for herbal incense, tie dye, batik painting, Spirograph paper-cutting and rent-bike also. activities fee 60 baht per person.
- Riding bike in Bangkrachao area : There are many bikes for rent. The rate is 30 baht per 1-hour and 80 baht for whole day.
OTOP (One Tambon One Product) product are Straightened shrimps, dried gourami fish and Nam Dokmai mango in summer time. However, handcraft product by disabled people is interesting for purchase.
- Coffee in house, . Opening 07.00-17.00 closed every Wednesday. ‘feels like home’ coffee shop with a recommended beverage; Coffee blend with coconut, green tea with coconut.
Many visitors use the province to stay the night close to Suvarnabhumi Airport (which is officially in Samut Prakan, but here dealt with under Bangkok).
- Grand Inn Come Hotel, 99 Moo 6 King Kaew Rd, Rachateva Bang Phli., ☎ +66-2-738-8191(-3). About a 15-20 minute drive from the airport. Bus 553 stops here, it comes from Lat Krabang on the way to Bang Phli. It is about 10 minutes drive to the Lat Krabang Airport Link railway station. 1200-2400 baht. edit
- Nawarat Resort, 19/49 Moo 7, Bang Na-Trat Rd, ☎ +66-2-750-3040(-2), . About 15 mins drive from the airport. 900 baht. edit
- Plai Garden Boutique Guest House, Soi King Keaw 43, King Keaw Rd, ☎ +66-2-327-7226(-8), . About 15 mins drive from the airport. 900-1000 baht. edit
- Ratchana Place, 199 Moo 4, Soi Bangna Garden, ☎ +66-2-313-4480(-9), . About 15-20 mins drive from the airport. 350-700 baht. edit
- Sananwan Palace, 18/11 Moo 11, Sukapibarn Road 5, Bangpli Yai, ☎ +66-2-752-1658 (email@example.com), . Family-owned budget accommodation with swimming pool, gym and 24-hour restaurant. Rooms have TV and high speed internet. A/C optional. About 20 minutes drive from the Suvarnabhumi International Airport. 350-750 baht (discount for long stay available). (13.604242,100.715362) edit
- Bangkok Tree House, 60 Moo 1, Petch Cha Hueng Road, Bang Namphueng, Phra Padaeng, Samut Prakarn, ☎ +66 82 995-1150, . 4 Stars eco-friendly hotel near Chao Phraya River, about 1.2 KMs by biking from Bang Namphueng Floating Market. edit
- Bangnamphung Homestay, Moo.10 Bangnamphung, Phrapardaeng, Samut-Prakan, ☎ +662-461-0843. Local-like stay and activities at Chao-Phraya River. edit
- Phunengnang Homestay, 12/5 Moo.9, Bangnamphung, Phrapardaeng, Samut-Prakan, ☎ +662-461-3810, . Stay away from busy in Thai wooden house. edit
Bang Phli appears to be the main transport hub here.
Buses/minibuses from BKK come through here to various places to the south in particular. Also go from here to the southwest.
.Pattaya Minibuses to here and Rayong leave regularly from Bang Phli opposite the Homepro. Buy your ticket at the agent on the footpath.
.Chachoengsao Minibuses from here have a booth near the 711. The buses go from a lane to the left and cost 90 baht.
.Southern Bus Terminal - Sai Tai Mai. Minibuses leave here from the Homepro side of the road, some 50 metres to the north (towards Bangkok).Costs 60 baht.
|Routes through Samut Prakan