Salem is a city in Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation, Hotel Tamil Nadu Complex, Ramakrishna Road, Salem, ☎ 0427-2316449 (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Tamilnadu tourism board can be contacted for various tour packages and holiday ideas. edit
Salem Junction (Station code: SA) is well connected by a good railway network. In fact, it is a divisional headquarters in Southern Railway. It's connected to Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore and other major cities and towns of Tamil Nadu and India.
Salem is well connected to Karnataka, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and the rest of Tamil Nadu by TNSTC, SETC buses and also by private A/C Volvo buses like KPN travels. Buses are available as far as Hyderabad and Kollur Mookambike temple.
There are 2 major bus stations in Salem.
MGR Central Bus Terminus (New Bus Stand): Inter-state and Intra-State bus terminus. One of the busiest bus stations connecting all the places in tamil nadu, very much active for 24 hours and the most busiest bus stand in the state as per movemnets are considered.
Town Bus Stand (Old Bus Stand): Local bus services.
24 Hour bus services(No 13)from Salem Junction (Railway station ) to both the Bus stations.
Salem has one airport (code FR3241) at Kamalapuram near Omalur on NH7 towards Dharmapuri, it also has commercial air transport from Salem to Chennai through Kingfisher Air.
- taxiGUIDE.in (Salem Car Rental), ☎ +91 888 023 4455 (email@example.com), . Inquiry: 7am to 11pm. Salem Car Rental services on taxiGUIDE.in - a Chauffeur Driven Car Rental service in 75 Cities in India. Fares start from Rs.1375 for full day local & Rs.8/km for Outstation. edit
One can hire a taxi (it's relatively cheap, compared to other cities)
or use the public transportation (buses, which will usually be crowded).
Other option is to hire an auto-rickshaw (three wheeled), but beware there's no standard price defined for a particular distance, it depends on the driver's mood and financial condition.
- Servarayan Hills, Yercaud
- Mettur Dam ( 52 km from Salem )
- Mettur Hydro Electric Project/ Thermal Plant
- Salem Steel Plant,Salem
- Kurumbapatti Zoological Park, Chettichavadi, Salem.
- Poiman karadu, Panamarathupatty
- A well preserved 300 year old famous Fort, Attur
- A old famous fort in sankari
- Kolli Hills
- Arulmigi Alagirinathar Temple
- Sri Rajaganapathy Temple, Agraharam
- Sri Ramakrishna Mutt, Salem-7
- Sri Kumaragiri Temple, Salem.3.
- Jamma Masjid Build by Tippu Sultan, Salem.1.
- Belur Siva Temple,Belur.
- Sri Kameswara & Kalivaradha perumal temple at Aragalur
- The Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Salem.
- Poolampatty water place
- 1008 Siva Temple, Periya Seeragapadi
- Dream land Theme park, Neikkarapatti, salem.
- Sugavaneshwarar Temple, Salem
- Perumal Temple, Fort, Salem
- Aanaimaduvu Dam, Belur
- Kariyakoil Dam, Karumandurai
- Kottai Mariyamman Temple, Salem
- Appa Paithiyam Swamy Samadhi Temple
- Sree Raghavendra Mrithika Brindavanam, Kannankurichi
- Oothumalai Murugan Kovil. On the highway, around 20 km from Salem city edit
- Sri Kailasanathar Temple, Tharamangalam : A Siva temple, perhaps the most beautiful of its kind in Salem District. Parts of it existed as early as the tenth century: as it stands now, it is the product of the Gatti Mudhali dynasty of the seventeenth century.
- Anna park has been recently given a face-lift. A nice lively place to spend an leisure evening. There are lots of movie playing Tamil, English and Hindi movies. A new multiplex (ARRS) has been built, which hosts 5 screens.
- rakkipatti (senapalayam), rakkipatti (NH47). lord balamurugaa temple, suyambhu form is not to be missed edit
Salem is very good place for buying dresses and also mangoes.
Check out Men's shirts, saris and beautiful dresses for women, all for ridiculously cheap prices.
- Tuesday street market, (near shevapet auto stand). Famous for textiles like bed sheets, towels, table spreads, lungis, sarees etc. If you know how to bargain you may strike good deals. edit
- Shevapet area. Famous for silver anklets, traditional jewel worn around the ankle with small bells attached and chimes as you walk. Most of India purchases from this area as the workmanship involved in fixing the bells to the chain is done manually in this place. Prices are perhaps much cheaper compared to rest of India. edit
- Delhi Darbar, (near 5 roads in salem.). A newly opened North Indian restaurant. Al nonveg specialy Tandoori chicken and mutton biryani is supposed to be very good.. edit
- Hotel Sri Parasakthi, 56/37, Venkatappa Rd, Shevapet (Salem Government Hospital, down the road), ☎ 04272220222. noon-4PM, 6:30PM-10PM. Typical south Indian non-veg family restaurant. edit
- Saravana Bhavan, (near the bus stand). A major food chain in TamilNadu is a good restaurant in a prime location (). Offers South Indian (Tamil), North Indian and Chinese food. edit
- Baar B Queen, 5 roads, Cherry Road & New Bus Stand. Another good hotel in recent years is Baar B Queen. Typical Non Veg restaurant and specility is Chinese & Tandoori items exclusively Tandoori chicken and Grill Chicken at reasonable price. edit
- AJMEER BIRIYANI HOTEL, Kitchipalayam Road, Salem. Very famous among middle class people especially private employees. Their specialty is BIRIYANI & KUSKA (Same biriyani but without NV pieces). Mouth lickering biriyani and Chicken varuval are so tastiest among the verieties. The very lowest price is the important point to mention here. edit
- SELVI MESS, Maravaneri & New Bus Stand. Selvi Mess, a group of hotels,one of the famous restaurants , is typically Non Veg Restaurant. Taste is very good at their Maravaneri branch. A fine & Good place to have dinner with family. edit
- Vivekananda Hotel, Old Bus Stand & New Bus Stand. Vivekananda Hotel, one of the famous restaurants for Non-Veg. A fine & Good place to have dinner with family. edit
- Sukh Sagar, Saradha College Road. Mouth watering Chat items. Must try is the Hyderabadi chat and Schezwan fried rice Approx 300 for 2 persons. edit
- Thattu Vada. It's one unique dish served at Salem alone. Available in small eateries in Salem. Approx Rs20. edit
- Saravana's Bakery. You'll get delicious cakes. edit
- Hotel Sharvesh, Rukmani Complex (5 Roads), ☎ 9840980308. 7:00 to 10:30. (In 5 Roads, Salem) A newly opened South Indian Restaurant, serving authentic south Indian delicacies along with Chinese Food. edit
You will find any number of Wine shops around the city.
Coffee shops and juice junctions are everywhere.
- Siva Coffee Bar is a chain of Coffee shop around the city.
- 24 Hours Coffee shop near salem Bus stand and Junction.
- Iyengar bakeries open 24 hours.
There are lot of hotels and budgeted lodges near and around new/old bus stand.
We can find hotels almost in every street. They open up very early and close very late. Nearly all are targeted at the working class and middle class diner and drinker.
Chenney's gateway, Salem Castle, Ganesh Mahal, LRN Hotel, Hotel Selvam, GRT GRAND etc. are three star hotels in the city and don't forget Park Plaza, located off the Bangalore Road on the same side of GRT but to the left of the Steel Plant Road.
- GRT GRAND
- Ganesh Mahal
- Chenney's Gateway
- Salem Castle
- hotel lakshmi prakash, near new bus stand (opp ganesh mahal). best veg hotel in salem (,i km) edit
- Yercaud is a hill station which is easily commutable from Salem. It is 30 km from Salem bus terminus. It is an ideal weekend getaway especially during summer time.
- Tharamangalam is famous also for its beautiful and historic Kailasanathar temple.It is 24 km from Salem bus terminus
- Thammampatti Scultpural Centre (Hindu, Muslim, Christian temples in one hill), ( 60 km from Salem )
- Sankagiri old fort which was built in Tippu Sultan Period.