Saint Louis Metro East is part of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area, mostly in Missouri to the west and north of the city, but it spills over into Illinois to some degree, especially to the north-east and along a line toward Belleville Illinois to the east.
- Alton - Historic Homes, 50 Antique Shops, 9 Golf Courses, Bed and Breakfasts, Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway, and Argosy Alton Casino among other things.
- Belleville - Just southeast of East Saint Louis, and now the bigger of the two cities by a vast margin.
- East St. Louis - Historically the biggest city in the southern third of Illinois, East Saint Louis has experienced grave population loss since the middle of the 20th century and while vast is now less populated than many of the area's smaller cities.
- Fairmont City
- Fairview Heights
- Glen Carbon
- Granite City
- O'Fallon - North of Belleville and was home to the U.S. Air Force's blimp squadron
- Swansea - An historical town about fifteen minute drive from Saint Louis.
There are buses every day, but the routes are different on Sunday. Each stop has a schedule on it.
You can park your car at the Metrolink parking lot. There is a Blue and a Red Line.
- Visit Collinsville for the World's Largest Catsup Bottle Birthday Party held in July
- Confluence Crush Roller Derby, 1 Gateway Drive Collinsville, IL 62234, ☎ (618) 345-8998, . All women roller derby.
Bed and breakfast
- Beall Mansion An Elegant Bed & Breakfast Inn,  407 East 12th Street, Alton, IL 62002 (618) 474-9100 or Toll Free 1-866-The-BEALL (1-866-843-2325). Voted "Best Illinois Bed and Breakfast" by the Illinois Magazine Readers Poll. Elegant accommodations for pleasure or business, weddings and wedding receptions, corporate retreats. Whirlpool rooms. All you can eat 24 hour chocolate buffet.
- Tiffany Inn,  410 E. Broadway St. Alton, IL 62002, (618) 462-4145. Charming bed and breakfast above the Alton Stained Works in the historic Downtown Alton in the heart of Alton's antique district.
- Jackson House Bed and Breakfast,  1821 Seminary St. Alton, IL 62002, 618) 462-1426. Victorian home, barn, and earth home known as "the cave." The cave is one of the few accessable bed and breakfasts in the area.
- Stratford Hotel, 229 Market, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 465-8821. 50 rooms hotel and apartments. Air conditioning. Cable TV, Pets allowed.
East St. Louis has the reputation locally as being one of the places in the United States with the most crime. Some of the neighboring cities share a similar reputation.