Sainshand (Сайншанд) is the capital of Dornogovi province, with a population about 20,000.
Sainshand consists of two parts: a train station and city centre 2km to the east. There is a park at the centre of town. It’s surrounded by banks, hotels, restaurants and museums.
There is an internet cafe (T900 per hour) in city center (look for grey brick building with the sign NetCom on the top)
There are two daily trains from Ulaan-Baatar. Train station in Sainshand is about 2 km from citycenter. Taxi should cost T500-700.
- MT3-286. Departure: 9-35. Arrival: 20-00 (T13200 - for 3rd class)
- MT3-275. Departure: 16-30. Arrival: 02-15
Taxi to train station (about 2 km from the city) cost T600-1000.
The town is relatively small and can be easily explored by foot.
- Museum of Danzan Ravjaa, . The Danzanravjaa Museum was established in 1991 in honour of the fifth Goviin Dogshin Noyon Khutagt ("Terrible Noble Saint of the Gobi"), one of the greatest and most unusual intellectuals in Mongolian history. The museum preserves and displays Danzanravjaa's original artistic works and literary manuscripts, along with his books, religious items, theatrical costumes, personal possessions, and similar objects illustrating his life and work. You also can ask for Gobi Sunrise tours there. Entrance T1000. edit
- Aimag Museum
- Drama Theatre
- Khamar Monastery (Khamariin Khiid), (45km south of the town. To get there you should hire a private car T60.000-80.000 or minibus T15.000-20.000.), . Khamar Monastery was established in the 1820's by famous 19th century Mongolian educator and literary figure Danzanravjaa. The Monastery was an important centre of the Buddhist "red sect", and seat of the Gobiin Dogshin Noyon Khutagt ("Terrible Noble Saint of the Gobi"). edit
- North Shambala, (Near Khamariin Khiid.), . Near Khamar Monastery there is Shambala land and on the world's energetic center. Danzanravjaa the Terrible Noble Saint of the Gobi V let all his disciples gather in the midst of many colored hills nearby the Khamriin Hiid to make proportional drawings of the Shambala Land. They created a meditation practice land with wooden stupas, a door and a heap of stones. At that place, His Holiness uttered prayers to meet with his all disciples in the Holy Shambala Land. That's why this place is known as the Shambala Land and became one of the holiest places for prostration and circumambulation nowadays. T2000. edit
- Khan Bayanzurkh mountain (Khar Uul (black mountain)). The most famous Gobi mountain. Locals call it "wish-fullfilling mountain". If you have time on your hands, locals recommend the two-to-three-hour hike out to Khar Uul (Black Mountains), south-west of town. Take lots of water - this is the Gobi, after all. edit
- White sands dune. one of the largest and most famous sand dunes in Gobi desert edit
- Visit local camel breeder’s family. Ask Gobi sunrise.
- Sydney restaurant. 10 to 24. A restaurant on the second floor with small terrace. A lot of chicken dishes. T5000-10000 for main dish. edit
- Dornogovi, (left of maın square. Look for big round building). checkout: 6 pm. Good, but a bit old hotel. Though the best option in town. Wi-fi in the restaurant. No hot water. Accept credit cards. T53000-65000 for twin room with breakfast. edit
- Gobi Sunrise (Tavan Dohoi), (20 km from town). A well-run ger camp, it has a restaurant, flush toilets and clean showers with hot water. To arrange transport to the camp, which is about 20km south of Sainshand on the road to Khamaryn Khiid, ask Altangerel, the curator at the Danzan Ravjaa museum. 10 USD per person. edit
- The hotel (Twin room T12.000) near the train station is really quite bad. No shower, I got electric shocks using the water tap, and our room got flooded. Better to go into the city.
There is a daily local train (MT3-285) to Ulaan-Baatar at 21-00.