Once the site of the most elegant residential buildings in São Paulo, República was seriously hit by an exodus from downtown which happened mostly on the 1970s and 80s. Nowdays, it has been renovated as the whole historical central area. The streets between Praça da República and Largo do Arouche make up the oldest gay hot spot in town. It looks decadent, but many individuals young and old cruise in the clubs, movie theaters, dark rooms, and bars from Ipiranga Avenue down to Largo do Arouche. Rua do Arouche, República Square and Vieira de Carvalho Avenue are also known as pick-up spots where a few male, muscled prostitutes line up for services to men and women. There are also many "noias," or adoslecent and adult homeless people who are addicted to glue-sniffing or crack. Hate crimes by neo-Nazi skinheads have been reported in the area, but it has been well policed ever since. An arts and crafts and precious stones and food fair is held on República Square every Saturday and Sunday. The Republica station of the yellow subway line is presently under construction. Traditional gourmet restaurants and show-bars such as O Gato que Ri, Galeto's, and Bar Brahma are located on Largo do Arouche, Vieira de Carvalho, and Avenida São João, respectively. Bar do Leo, a 1940s pub that serves lunches and appetizers daily, is located on Rua Aurora.
- República station of line 3 - Red and line 4 - Yellow.
- Buses that drive on avenues Amaral Gurgel, da Consolação, Ipiranga, São Luís and São João.
- Edifício Itália, Avenida Ipiranga at Avenida São Luís. It was for years the highest in the city, with its 160 meters. There is a bar and a restaurant on the 41st floor, but for the best experience ask to visit the open-air walkway around the restaurant. You may be expected to buy a drink in the bar first; cover charge is R$15 and it's around R$8 for a bottle of beer.
- Theatro Municipal, Praça Ramos de Azevedo, tel. +55 11 3334-0001, .
- Cine Teatro de Arte Recriarte Bijou, Praça Roosevelt, 172, +55 11 3257-2264
- Espaço dos Satyros 1, Praça Roosevelt, 214 - Consolação, +55 11 3258 6345, 
- Espaço dos Satyros 2, Praça Roosevelt, 124 - Consolação, +55 11 3258 6345, .
- Espaço Parlapatões, Praça Roosevelt, 158 - Consolação, +55 11 3061 9799, .
- N.Ex.T. - Núcleo Experimental de Teatro, Rua Rego Freitas, 454, +55 11 3259-2485 - Vila Buarque
- Teatro Aliança Francesa, Rua General Jardim, 182, +55 11 3259-0086 - Vila Buarque.
- Teatro de Arena Eugênio Kusnet, Rua Teodoro Baima, 94, +55 11 3256-9463 - Vila Buarque.
- Teatro Cultura Artística, Rua Nestor Pestana, 196 - Consolação, +55 11 3258-3615.
- Teatro da Universidade de São Paulo, Rua Maria Antônia, 294, +55 11 3255-5538/3255-7182 - Vila Buarque
- Teatro Paiol, Rua Amaral Gurgel, 164 - Vila Buarque, +55 11 3221-2462.
- Teatro Sesc-Anchieta, Rua Dr. Vila Nova, 245 - Vila Buarque, +55 11 3256-2281.
- Bar Estadão, where viaducts Major Quedinho and 9 de Julho meet. (24 horas).
- Castelões, Rua Jairo Góis, 126, tel. 11 3229-0542. Pizza.
- Famiglia Mancini, Rua Avanhandava, 81, tel. 11 3256.4320. Traditional Italian restaurant.
- La Casserole, Largo do Arouche, 346, tel. 11 3331-6283. French restaurant going since 1954. 
- Lótus, Rua Brigadeiro Tobias, 420 (esq. Senador Queiroz), tel. 11 3229-5696. Vegeterian.
- Terraço Italia, Avenida Ipiranga, 344, 41º andar, tel. 11 2189-2929. 360º view of the city. 
- Cia Club Noir, Rua Augusta, 331, ☎ 3255-8448, . edit
- Bar Brahma, on the famous corner of Avenida Ipiranga and Avenida São João. This bar was opened on the 1920s and is the most traditional place to hear classics of Brazilian Popular Music (MPB).
- Cantho, Largo do Arouche, 32, tel 11 3723-6624. Gay club.
- Freedom Club, Largo do Arouche, 06, tel. 11 3362-9207. Gay Club. 
- Inferno, Rua Augusta, 501, tel. 11 3120-4140.
- Planet G, Rua Rego Freitas, 56, tel. 11 3362-0865. Gay club.
- Royal, Rua da Consolação, 222, tel. 11 3255-6413. Posh club.
- Trash 80's, Alameda Ribeirão Preto, 258, tel. 11 3262-4881. For those who miss those years.
- Ultradiesel, Rua Marquês de Itu, 284, tel. 11 3338-2493. Gay club. 
- Santa Fe, Praça Dom José Gaspar, 42. til midnight/1am. A decent bar within walking distance of the República metro station, considerably more down to earth than Bar Brahma but larger and a lot less intimidating than the smaller 'locals only'-style bars in the area. Plenty of tables outside and live music on at least some evenings. R$8 approx for 600ml beer. edit
- São Paulo Hostel, Rua Barão de Campinas, 94 (at junction with São Joao, Metrô República), ☎ (11) 33330844, . checkin: 2.00pm; checkout: 12.00pm. Located near the Praça República, this HI-affiliated hostel is housed in a seven-story building, with clean rooms and large bathrooms for each dorm room. Wi-fi is available only on the top floor, which also houses a bar open in the evenings (except Sundays). Security is tight, which also means check-in and check-out times are tightly enforced. Non-members/members dorms R$41/33; singles R$69/57; doubles R$88/76; triples R$106/94. edit
- Bourbon São Paulo, Avenida Dr. Vieira de Carvalho, 99, tel. 11' 3337-2000. 
- Formule 1, Avenida São João, 1.140, tel. 11 6878-6400. 
- Novotel Jaraguá São Paulo, Rua Martins Fontes, 71, tel. 11 2802-7000.