Praça Campo de Bagatelle, one of the most used places for popular celebrations and manifestations.
Northeast is a region of São Paulo. A rural area turned residential, it is now known for its large exposition and event centers, and many of the city's largest events, including the São Paulo Carnival Parade, happen here. A no less important feature of the region are its nature areas, including Parque Estadual da Cantareira, one of the largest urban forests of the World.
The Northeast is divided in 11 districts, grouped in 4 subprefecutes:
- Casa Verde/Cachoeirinha subprefecture: Cachoeirinha, Limão, Casa Verde
- Santana/Tucuruvi subprefecture: Mandaqui, Tucuruvi, Santana
- Tremembé/Jaçanã subprefecture: Tremembé, Jaçanã
- Vila Maria/Vila Guilherme subprefecture: Vila Medeiros, Vila Guilherme, Vila Maria
The occupation of the Northeast started with rural properties, which later evolved into residencial neighborhoods. Since the XIX century, the main link of the region with the Center is Ponte das Bandeiras, and the district of Santana, in the north side of the bridge, has became the "center" of the 1.35 million people region.
Santana is the true "event arena" of São Paulo, being home to Parque Anhembi, a 400,000 square meters area for all kinds of events, plus other smaller event centers and areas. Popular celebrations and manifestations take place at Praça Campo de Bagatelle and Praça Heróis da FEB. Besides, Santana contains the wealthiest residencial areas of the region, plus most (or almost all) of the Northeast's gastronomy and nightlife.
But there are of course reasons to go beyond Santana. These includes historical constructions from the region's rural period, the various Carnival groups, and the largest park contained in São Paulo metropolitan area, the Parque Estadual da Cantareira. This is composed of millions of square meters of preserved rainforest, and offers some breathtaking views of the city.
By public transport
The Northeast isn't well-covered by the rail network, with all metro stations located in two districts:
- Santana: Portuguesa-Tietê, Carandiru, Santana, Jardim São Paulo
- Tucuruvi: Parada Inglesa, Tucuruvi
For all other areas, taking a bus is required. In many events that happen in the Northeast, there is a number of dedicated buses going from the Tietê station to these events, so reaching them using public transport shouldn't be a problem.
The Marginal Tietê, that runs on the shores of the Tietê river, links the Northeast to the West and the East of the city, and Corredor Norte-Sul links it to the Center and the South. A car is probably the best way to reach Parque da Cantareira.
A visitor that goes to the Northeast will probably stay most of the time in the district of Santana (where most attractions, as well as most metro stations, are), so going around should be easy, either on foot or by public transport.
Note that the north part of the region (where Parque da Cantareira and Horto Florestal are) is extremely hilly, so going to it on foot or by bicycle is not so easy as it may seem on the map.
Parque da Juventude, ruins of the infamous Carandiru prision.
- Parque Estadual da Cantareira, R. do Horto, 1.799 - Tremembé (administration), ☎ 11 6232-5049. With 80 million square meters of Atlantic rainforest, Parque da Cantareira is argueably the largest urban forest of the world, extending to 4 municipalities of São Paulo's metropolitan region. The park is mostly intended for exploring the rainforest in well-sinalized trails, and has only a few recreation areas; bringing your own food and water is highly advised. The park also does not open on rainy days. These are areas located in the municipality of São Paulo which are open for visit: edit
- Núcleo da Pedra Grande, R. do Horto, 1.799, Tremembé, ☎ 11 6232-5049. sat-sun-holidays, 08:30-17. Three walking trails of easy to medium difficulty. edit
- Núcleo Engordador, Av. Cel. Sezefredo Fagundes, 19.100, Cachoeira, ☎ 11 6995-3254. sat-sun-holidays, 08:30-17. Two walking trails of easy to medium difficulty, plus one mountain bike trail. edit
- Núcleo Águas Claras, Av. José Ermírio de Moraes, 96, ☎ 11 4485-1079. sat-sun-holidays, 08:30-17. Three walking trails of easy to medium difficulty. edit
- Horto Florestal (Parque Estadual Alberto Löfgren), Rua do Horto, 931 - Mandaqui, ☎ 11 2232-3117, . daily, 06-19. Just next to Parque da Cantareira, this 1.7 million square meter park (350,000 visitable) is preferable if you still want to be close to the preserved nature, but wants more relaxing/recreation and less adventure. Besides, it can be visited everyday. The Governor Summer Palace and Museu Florestal are located inside the park. free. edit
- Parque da Juventude, Avenida Zaki Narchi, 1309 - Santana (Near Carandiru station), ☎ 11 2251-2706, . The 240,000 square meters park is the former site of Carandiru Penitentiary Complex, which was known as one of Brazil's most terrible prisions. Most of the former penitentiary was destroyed, with exception of one building (which became a technical school) and a number of ruins. The park has many sport facilities, including free sport classes; check the website for information. edit
Constructions and landmarks
- Praça Campo de Bagatelle and Praça Heróis da FEB, Santana (north part of Corredor Norte-Sul). The two squares and the 1-km corridor linking them are used for many events, including Marcha para Jesus and the Labour Day celebrations, plus celebration of football championships. The first square contains the 14-Bis monument, a replica of the aircraft constructed by the Brazilian inventor Santos Dumont in 1906. The second square contains a monument for the Brazilians who fought in the World War II. edit
- Mirante de Santana, Praça Vaz Guaçu - Jardim São Paulo (near Jardim São Paulo station). It is the main weather station in the city, built in 1929. This season is so far the amount of rainfall, relative humidity, radiation, atmospheric pressure, wind speed and direction. It provides a nice view of the city, but the best view is not open for public, unfortunately. edit
- Palacete Baruel, Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 2677 - Alto de Santana. This small castle, built in 1879, belonged to the farm of the Baruel family, one of the first families that settled in the region. edit
- Biblioteca Narbal Fontes, Rua Conselheiro Moreira de Barros, 170 - Alto de Santana, ☎ 11 2973-4461, . The former residence of the Baruel family, it is now a public library. edit
- Sítio Morrinhos, Rua Santo Anselmo, 102 - Jardim São Bento, ☎ 11 2236-6121, . It's a rural property, built in 1702 which incorporates the history of Portuguese colonizaton in Brazil. edit
- Arquivo Público do Estado de São Paulo, Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 596 - Santana, ☎ 11 2221-4785, . Considered a haven for scholars. Offers free consultation services to newspapers and magazines, the most ancient to the present. edit
- Helicopter Ride, at Campo de Marte airport, ☎ 11 2945-8828, . Guided helicopter ride to see São Paulo from above, with at least 30 minutes. Provided by Andanças Viagens e Turismo. starting from R$ 850 for 2 people. edit
Sports, hobbies and cultural activities
The Northeast offers some interesting options for those who will stay more than a couple of days in the city. Besides the various Carnival groups, the region offers, through the Campo de Marte airport, activities for those interested in aircraft and aviation.
- Império da Casa Verde, Av. Eng. Caetano Álvares, 2042 - Casa Verde, . Carnival group. edit
- Mocidade Alegre, Avenida Casa Verde, 3498 - Bairro do Limão, . Carnival group. edit
- Unidos do Peruche, Avenida Ordem e Progresso, 1061 - Jardim das Laranjeiras, . Carnival group. edit
- Acadêmicos do Tucuruvi, Av. Mazzei, 722 - Tucuruvi (Near Tucuruvi station), . Carnival group. edit
- X-9 Paulistana, Avenida Luís Dumont Villares, 324 - Carandiru, ☎ 11 3812-3816, . Carnival group. edit
- Clube de Aeromodelismo de Santana, Rua Marechal Leitão de Carvalho, 15 - Santana, ☎ 11 3673-6167, . Aeromodelling club. edit
- Aeroclube de São Paulo, Av Santos Dumont, 1979 - Santana (at Campo de Marte airport), ☎ 11 2221-9100, . General aviation club. Commercial pilot classes available. edit
- Clube Esperia, Avenida Santos Dumont, 1313 - Santana, ☎ 11 2223-3300, . Founded by Italian immigrants, the sports club is famous for its rowing activities, which was orginally practiced in the Tietê river, now inside the University of São Paulo. Many other sport activities are also available. edit
- SESC Santana, Avenida Luiz Dumont Villares, 579 - Jardim São Paulo, ☎ 11 2971-8700, . Cultural center. edit
- Espaço Cultural Oficina, Rua Alfredo Pujol, 381 - Santana, ☎ 11 3532-3101, . Cultural center. edit
The Sambódromo, at Parque Anhembi, where the São Paulo Carnival parade takes place.
- Event centers. edit
- Parque Anhembi, Avenida Olavo Fontoura, 1.209 - Santana, ☎ 11 2226-0400, . With 400,000 square meters, Parque Anhembi hosts the largest events of São Paulo and is one of the main landmarks of the region. The area contains various facilities, including Pavilhão de Exposições, where large-scale expositions take place, and the Sambódromo, the place of the Carnival parade. The Holiday Inn Anhembi hotel is also here. edit
- Expo Center Norte, Rua José Bernardo Pinto, 333 - Vila Guilherme, ☎ 11 2089-8500, . Another large event center, although much smaller than Anhembi (with 100,000 square meters). edit
- Mart Center, Rua Chico Pontes, 1500 - Vila Guilherme, . A former shopping mall, now basically used for events. About 71,000 square meters. edit
- São Paulo Carnival. See São Paulo main article. edit
- International Book Biennial of São Paulo (Bienal do Livro de São Paulo), at Parque Anhembi, . The annual event happens around august. It is the stage for the meeting of the principal publishers, bookstores and distributors in the country, which prepare their launches for this period. Attracts more than 700,000 people. edit
- Salão do Automóvel de São Paulo, at Parque Anhembi, . The most important automobilistic event in Latin America, happening around october-november. Showcases more than 450 car models and attracts more than 700,000 people. edit
- Super Casas Bahia, at Parque Anhembi, . A fair of electronics, furniture and other home products organized by one of Brazil's largest retailers. Happens around december-january, and it features prices lower than usual. edit
- Marcha para Jesus, at Praça Heróis da FEB, . The annual event, organized by the Reborn in Christ Church, happens around june and attracts about 5 million people, being one of the largest evangelical events in the world. Features many performances of gospel music. Attracts around 2 million visitors. edit
- Skol Sensation, at Parque Anhembi. The São Paulo version of the Sensation electronic music party in Amsterdam happens around june. Attracts around 40,000 people. edit
- Anime Friends, (at Mart Center), . The largest event of Japanese anime and manga in Latin America. Happens around july. Always features performances of J-Pop artists. edit
- Erotika Fair (Feira Internacional de Produtos e Serviços para o Mercado Adulto), at Parque Anhembi, . Fair of sex-related products and services. Mainly intended for people who do business in the area, but it also has sex shops and erotic performances for the general public. edit
- Shopping Center Norte, Travessa Casalbuono, 120 - Vila Guilherme (relatively near Portuguesa-Tietê station), ☎ 11 2222-2555, . The oldest and largest shopping mall of the region, with 300,000 square meters and about 475 shops. Unlike most shopping malls in São Paulo, Center Norte is almost completely horizontal, with only the bowling and gaming areas outside the ground floor. edit
- Shopping Lar Center, Avenida Otto Baumgart, 500 - Vila Guilherme (Next to Shopping Center Norte), ☎ 11 2224-5959. Quite obviously just an extension of Shopping Center Norte, specialized in decoration, furniture and other house items. Linked to Shopping Center Norte by an elevated corridor. About 160 shops. edit
- Metrô Santana area, Santana. The area around the Santana metro station, particularly the streets Voluntários da Pátria, Dr. César e Alfredo Pujol, is the most expressive outdoor commercial center of the region. edit
- Santana Parque Shopping, Rua Conselheiro Moreira de Barros, 2.780 - Lauzane Paulista, ☎ 11 2238-3002, . Shopping mall with more upscale profile. It is actually located in the district of Mandaqui and not Santana. Also known for its "environmental-friendly" policies. About 180 shops. edit
- A Lareira Pães e Doces, Av. Deputado Emílio Carlos, 718 - Casa Verde - (11) 3858-1281
- Century Pães e Doces, Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 3749 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2976-2001 
- Francisca Júlia Pães e Doces, Rua Francisca Júlia, 428 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2950-5102
- Gran Royalle Casa de Pães, Rua Eduardo Espinola Filho, 70 - Jardim São Paulo - (11) 2099-1111 
- La Brunet, Rua Pedro Doll, 115 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2977-6777 
- Leão XIII, Rua Soror Angélica, 449 - Jardim São Bento - (11) 2256-8300 
- Ms. Boulanger, Rua Pedro Doll, 451 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2959-4948
- Cantinho 100% Nordestino - Avenida Cruzeiro do Sul, 2816 - Santana - (11) 2959-0313 / 2959-0320
- Mocotó - Avenida Nossa Sra. do Loreto, 1100 - Santana - (11) 2951-3056
- O Caipira - Rua Amazonas da Silva, 21 - Vila Guilherme - (11) 2905-4443
- O Compadre - Avenida Otto Baumgart, 500 Lj.201 - Vila Guilherme - (11) 2252-3131
- Cuisine France - French food - Rua Marieta da Silva, 284A - Vila Guilherme - (11) 2909-1916
- Dom Francisco - Portuguese food - Rua Alfredo Pujol, 217 - Santana - (11) 2977-9095 / 2950-7559
- Flying Sushi - Rua Doutor César, 462 - Santana - (11) 2950-8111
- Japa Sushi - Rua Francisca Júlia, 414 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2950-9387
- Joy Sushi - Rua José Doll de Morais, 70 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2950-0987
- Kodai Sushi - Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 3300 - Alto de Santana - (11) 3729-9886
- Matsuya Restaurante Japonês - Avenida Águas de São Pedro, 848 - Tucuruvi - (11) 2283-1080
- Sushi Mart - Rua Dr. César, 732 - Santana - (11) 2283-0019
- Temaki Ya - Avenida Brás Leme, 2025 - Santana - (11) 2099-2091
- Habanero Bar e Restaurante - Rua Alfredo Pujol, 1765 - Santana - (11) 2950-8219 
- Babbo Giovanni- Rua Alfredo Pujol, 668 - Santana - (11) 2959-4239 
- Cantina Biaggio - Avenida Brás Leme, 2141 - Santana - (11) 2950-3755
- Capitania das Pizzas - Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 3144 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2973-2963 / 2283-3027
- Del Col Pizzaria - Avenida Leôncio de Magalhães, 1361 - Santana - (11) 2959-0792 / 2950-8473
- Don Frediani Pizzaria - Avenida Leôncio de Magalhães, 648 - Santana - (11) 2977-0700 / 2973-8867
- Estação Braz Leme - Avenida Brás Leme, 1950 - Santana - (11) 2959-2323
- Gran Royalle Pizzaria - Avenida Brás Leme, 2335 - Santana - (11) 2283-3922
- Jullia Pizza Bar - Rua Francisca Julia, 465 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2959-5077 
- Mister Magoo Pizzas - Rua Jovita, 461 - Santana - (11) 2973-0573
- Piu Buona Pizzaria - Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 3116 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2959-7709
- Que Pankeka Pizza & Cia - Rua Dr. César, 938 - Santana - (11) 2976-8097 / 2959-2525
- Quintal Brasil Pizza Bar - Rua Dr. César, 768 - Santana - (11) 2973-8811
- Sabor Natural - Avenida Leôncio de Magalhães, 1297 - Jardim São Paulo - (11) 2977-4304
- Avenida Brás Leme.
- Avenida Engenheiro Caetano Álvares.
- Avenida Luís Dumont Villares.
- Rua Dr. César
- Alto de Santana neighboorhood:
Streets: Pedro Doll, Francisca Júlia, Voluntários da Pátria e Antônio Pereira de Sousa
- Aldeia da Villa, Avenida Luiz Dumont Villares, 628 - Santana - (11) 2283-5355 / 2978-5564 
- Alibabar Bar e Chopperia - Avenida Luiz Dumont Villares, 697 - Santana - (11) 2281-7845 / 2281-8574 
- All Gusto, R Augusto Tolle, 435 - Santa Terezinha 
- Armazém 165 - Rua Doutor César, 165 - Santana - (11) 2099-1445
- Auá Bar - Avenida Engenheiro Caetano Álvares, 5671 - Mandaqui - (11) 2975-3164 / 2979-1035 
- Ave Cesar, Rua Doutor César, 275 - Santana - (11) 2977-9424 
- Bar Brahma Aeroclube de São Paulo Avenida Olavo Fontoura, 650 - Santana - (11) 2221-0970 Located within the Campo de Marte, the first airport in Sao Paulo. In a grand hall with lounge and full details.
- Bar do Luiz Fernandes - Rua Augusto Tolle, 610 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2976-3556 One of the most traditional bars in São Paulo.  
- Café Deleite - Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 3139 - Alto de Santana - (11) 3368-9135
- Cervejaria Papagaio Vintém - Bares - Rua Doutor César, 706 - Santana - (11) 3477-2030
- City Chopperia - Avenida Brás Leme, 2450 - Santana - (11) 2976-9578
- Espaço Santana - Rua Antônio Pereira de Sousa, 227 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2283-3939
- Manufatura Bar - Avenida Brás Leme, 2040 - (11) 2979-8538
- Mec's Comércio de Refeições - Rua Augusto Tolle, 498 - Alto de Santana - (11) 2283-1615
- Morro Paulicéia - Rua Pedro Cacunda, 448 - (11) 2978-3117 / 2972-2348
- Papagaio Vintém, Rua Doutor César, 706 - Santana - (11) 3477-2030
- Purlin Bar - Rua Duarte de Azevedo, 718 - Santana - (11) 2972-0473
- Quintal Brasil - Rua Doutor César, 768 - Santana - (11) 2973-8811
- Saint Patrick's Pub - Avenida Luís Dumont Villares, 655 - Santana - (11) 2977-9226
- Santana Café - Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 2599 - Santana - (11) 2099-1317
- Santana Hall, Avenida Cruzeiro do Sul, 2737 - Santana - (11) 2221-0855 
- Santana Snooker Bar - Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 2022 - Santana - (11) 2283-5683
- Snooker Rock Bar - Avenida Luís Dumont Villares, 340 - Santana - (11) 2976-7012
Santana has the largest hotel in Brazil,Holiday Inn Parque Anhembi.
- Holiday Inn Parque Anhembi, Rua Prof. Milton Rodrigues, n. 100, Santana - (11) 2107-8844 
- Omega Palace Hotel, Rua Força Pública 56 - Santana - (11) 2221-7355 
- Discovery Hotel, Rua Dr. César, 217 - Santana - (11) 2281-6639 / 2978-3410
- Hotel Luni, Rua Conselheiro Saraiva, 303 - Santana (11) 2979-1234 
- Mercure Apartments Sao Paulo Nortel, Avenida Luiz Dumont Villares, 400 - Vila Guilherme - (11) 2972-8111 
- Pleasant Place Hotel, Rua da Gávea, 681 - Santana - (11) 2635-1513 
- Brasília Small Town, Rua Olavo Egídio, 420 - Santana - (11) 2950-3355 
- Brasília Santana Gold Flat, Rua Doutor Olavo Egídio, 170 - Santana -(11) 2972-6311 
- Novotel São Paulo Center Norte, Avenida Zaki Narchi, 500 - Vila Guilherme - (11) 2224-4000/ 4100 
- Best Western Metrô Tietê Hotel, Avenida Cruzeiro do Sul, 1709 - Santana - (11) 4506-9500 
- Oasis Collections, ☎ +55 11 3042 9086 (email@example.com), . A portfolio of 65+ handpicked homes and apartments that include concierge service and full guest support. Recently awarded Top Villa Provider by Condé Nast Traveler. edit
The Northeast is pretty much average in terms of criminality, so use the recommendations that apply to the rest of São Paulo. There are, however, some dangerous areas, especially in poor neighborhoods in the north part of the region, near the area of Parque da Cantareira.
The streets in Santana and Vila Guilherme close to Marginal Tietê aren't particularly safe when they become desert, especially during the night. So, when walking to (or back from) an event in the area, try to follow other people walking from (or to) the metro station. This shouldn't be a problem in large scale events. If this is not possible, taking a bus or a taxi to the metro station may be a good idea.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!