Ruhengeri is a city in northern Rwanda's Musanze district. It is the port of call for tourists heading up the hills to Kinigi and Parc National des Volcans.
There several bus companies who serve Kigali-Musanze direction every half hour for 1,700-1,800 rwf (July 2012). The journey takes 2 hours.
Buy your ticket at the main bus station in Nyabugogo - each bus company has their own little office, look for the signs that say "Kigali-Musanze." Don't buy your ticket in advance - go to the bus station and expect to leave in roughly 30 minutes. If you book your ticket right before you leave, you may get a bad seat or have to stand.
Recommended bus companies: Virunga Express ; Kigali Bus Service (http://www.kigalibusservices.com/Pages/Home.aspx).
Musanze is a small town, you can walk from one end to the other along the main road in 30-40 minutes.
The best way to get around is foot or moto-taxi. Prices are negotiable with the moto drivers, but a typical ride across town is 300-400 rwf (July 2012.)
- By Moto – The easiest way to get around the city is by Moto. Most Motos charge a minimum fare of 200rwf. Expect to pay more, when it late at nights or for foreigner..
- By Imodoca (small bus or van) – It is for local people can go near or far away. More than 22people get in the car.
- By Taxi – You will always, at all hours, find a taxi outside the Central city main load. From Kigali to Musanze most people pay 30,000 ~ 35,000rwf. You can dealing with driver.
Volcanoes National Park offers several attractions. Tickets must be booked in advance through tour companies or the Rwanda Tourism Board (ORTPN).
- Gorilla visits - there are a limited amount of permits per day, and they often sell out months in advance. Tourists spend an hour with the gorillas. $750 per person for foreign visitors.
- Golden monkey visits.
- Climbing of Karisimbi volcano - this is a two day trek with overnight camping at an altitude of 3,800 m.
- Climbing of Bisoke volcano - 4-7 hours round trip. $75 per person for foreign visitors.
- Visiting the tomb of Dian Fossey.
The majority of revenue from tourism goes towards maintaining the park and conserving the wildlife. The remainder goes to the government and (around 10%) to local projects in the area to help local people benefit from the large revenue stream generated by the park.
Visit Lakes Burera and Ruhondo.
Visit the lava caves and tunnels.
- Food Market – The biggest market for food. There are vegetables, fruits, fishes, eggs etc. One kilogram of Potato is 100-200rwf, 1 piece of banana is 50rwf and 1 egg about 70-100rwf
- Clothes Market – Excellent place to have shirt and pants with typical Rwanda fabrics. 1-2days should be sufficient for a shirt to be made. Located in the Musanze bus stand.
- Various supermarkets are scattered across the downtown area for purchasing general supplies such as bottled water and snacks
- Souvenir shop with locally made goods
- Volcano Lounge - Top-end with really nice pizzas, pastas and lasagnes as well. Basic pizza price is about 4100 rwf, plus 900-1200 rwf for topping. (Close to the tennis club)
- La Paillotte – This is one of the top sites for tourists and foreigners in Musanze , Literally 20-30 different dishes to choose from, such as pizza, toast, pasta, brochette (skewer) and steak. You can also have cup of tea or coffee with home bake breads (croissant, Baguette Samosa etc...) Close to Virunga Hotel
- Gorilla Hotel – Famous place for steaks, the price is between 3700rwf ~ 8000rwf. By moto from the city about 3 minutes, 200rwf. Popular for business meeting.
- Happiness Restaurant – Located on the main load, a buffet restaurant, offers a typical Rwanda food (potatoes, green bananas, sweet potatoes, beans and meat)
- Muhabura hotel – The best craft beer in Musanze. Most main dishes are around 5000rwf. The location of the restaurant in front Gorilla hotel.
- Virunga Hotel, (Virunga bus station), . 25.000-50.000. edit
There are a number of guest houses. You find some of them along the main road. You find places for <10.000
- Bus – From Musanze to Kigali the price is 1750rwf(Jan.2016). There are about 5compaies. When you come with the bus most time there is one stop for rest in few minutes in the Nyirangarama which is can buy some foods and go to toilet.