Lions at rest in the shade.
Ruaha National Park  is in Central Tanzania.
Ruaha is a very impressive park with an abundance of wildlife. In addition, due to the parks somewhat remote location, it is not on the main tourist circuit, and so visitors can enjoy viewing the wildlife without competing with hordes of other tourists.
The park is home to very large prides of lions as well giraffes, herds of elephant and many other wild animals. The road network follows the Ruaha River, where the animals congregate in the dry season.
Flora and fauna
- lion, cheetah, buffalo, wild dog, hyena.
- A population of 10,000 elephants.
- Kudu (greater and lesser).
- Sable and roan antelope.
- Hippo, crocodile, impala, jackal.
- A great variety of bird life.
- Self-drive. The most direct route to the park is from the town of Iringa on the main Zambia-Dar Es Salaam trunk. A dirt road traverses west to northwest to the park entrance. The road is in reasonable condition and can be travelled by a two wheel drive vehicle.
Petrol can be bought at headquarters for a relatively expensive price so better fuel up in Iringa.
- Hire. From Iringa, you are looking at US$120 per day to hire a 4x4 to get there and drive round the park (this includes a driver and the cost of the fuel). This may seem like a lot of money but the drivers are excellent spotters of game and avoid the misfortune of missing some interesting and hidden animals.
Upmarket tourist resorts ferry their guests directly to the lodge via light aircraft such as Auric Air. The landing strip is situated near the main camp on the Ruaha River.
Permits are obtainable at the gate.
Self-drive or join an organised safari.
- guides can be hired for about 10 USD I strongly recommend this to increase game spotting and for orientation in the Park.
An impressive display of fauna and flora.
- Budget Travel (Tanzania safaris), Dar es salaam (Azikiwe street), ☎ +255786694004, . Southern circuit safaris Tanzania include wildlife tours to Ruaha National park and other game parks like Mikumi,Udzungwa and Selous game reserve. Tanzania wildlife safari options in southern circuit include budget camping safaris in Selous game reserve, Lodge safaris in Udzungwa and Luxury tented camp in Ruaha national park. --Jungle Adventure Tanzania Safaris organize wonderful holiday in Africa, inquire for price quote. edit
- Afri-Rasta Safaris, Iringa, ☎ +255767431466, . Daily. Afri-Rasta Safari and Tours is an independent tour operator based in Iringa, Tanzania. It was founded by local Tanzanian, Joseph Kibodya in 2009. Afri-Rasta Safari and Tours specializes in day long and multi-day trips to nearby Ruaha National Park, the largest wildlife park in Tanzania, and second largest in Africa, as well as budget camping and cultural tourism activities in Masai land. Guests may also hire Joseph to take them to any and every other park they wish to visit in Tanzania, such as Selous Game Reserve, Uduzungwa Mountains National Park and Serengeti National Park to name a few and/or to pick them up in Dar es Salaam upon the guests’ arrival in Tanzania. ==Do== ==Buy== ==Eat== ==Drink== ==Sleep== ===Lodging=== * Mdonya Old River Camp. www.mdonya.com * Ruaha River Lodge. * Jongomero Camp. * Bandas. The bandas are basic but clean with mosquito nets. They are beautifully situated near the River and have a self catering kitchen, warm showers, a fireplace, and you can do some animal watching right from huts on the river bank. Reservations through park headquarters +255756144400 Price about 20$ Per Person/night basic. Local meals can be obtained at headquarters kanteen 1km from the Bandas. * Mwagusi Camp. Very pricey. Price includes accommodation and meals but not drinks. The cost may seem high, but if you are after a little luxury, this is the place. The accommodation is made up of self contained traditional bandas with hot solar showers and flushing conveniences scattered along the Mwagusi Sand River. Inside the banda is the sleeping “tent” fitted out with comfortable bed, desk for writing your journal, etc., truly the height of opulence. Every banda has a veranda overlooking the sand river where you can watch the game wander by in the early morning and evening in unbridled comfort. A typical day at Mwagusi can consist of the following: * 07:30 Coffee served in your banda * 08:00 Early Morning Bird Walk * 09:00 Breakfast (Juice, Fruit, Toast, Eggs, Tomatoes, Tea/Coffee etc.) * Game Drive * 11:00 Morning Coffee and pastries (if required) * Game Drive * 1:00 Lunch (3 courses – e.g. Gazpacho, buffet, dessert and coffee); Afternoon Game Drive * 4:00 Afternoon coffee and pastries * Game Drive * 6:00 Return to camp, hot shower * 7:30 Cocktails at Sand River around a camp fire, Evening Meal (5 Courses) set at Sand River surrounded by elephants and lions It is also possible to arrange a day's walking safari, although this definitely is not for the faint of heart as the guides don’t like to carry guns (make sure you know how to climb a tree)! ===Camping=== Camping safari is the type of wildlife safari whereby canvas tents are used as accommodation while on African safari tour. There are different types and standards of camping safari. There are permanent tented camps which offer same comfort as Lodges and the only different is that wall is canvas tents. Permanent luxury tents campus has restaurant, bar and rooms. There is mobile luxury tented camps and have en suite facilities, dinner tent and small mobile bar. While Budget camping safari is basic tented camp whereby there is no bed, how ever all other services are provided same as luxury camps. Budget tented camping safaris also rough it whereby tourists travel with supplies like food, water and tents. In the game park, game drives are done comfortably after offloading all supplies. Cook prepares delicious food and tent crew erects all tents in a public campsite. Tented camping safaris are designed to prioritize comfort and value for money as well enjoying African safari holiday. ===Backcountry=== ==Stay safe== ==Get out==