Roche Harbor is a small town on the northwest coast of San Juan Island, namesake of the picturesque San Juan Islands group. It has a bustling yacht harbor and floatplane service to Seattle. It makes a good base for exploring San Juan Island.
- Kenmore Air, ☎ +1-877-359-5366 (reservations@KenmoreAir.com, fax: +1-425-485-4774), . Float plans make to seven flights from Lake Union in Seattle to Roche Harbor marina and Friday Harbor, and then return. Shuttles can bring you from Seattle-Tacoma airport to Lake Union. A spectular, though not cheap, way to arrive. $75-139. edit
- Take the ferry or a plane to Friday Harbor, at the other end of the island, and then a 15-minute taxi ride to Roche Harbor.
- San Juan Island Transit, . Bus service between Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor, and other island destinations. 20 minutes. Runs up to once every hour during the day at peak season. $5 (adult). edit
- If you have access to a yacht, come in the marina.
- If you have an airplane, Roche Harbor has a small, private paved airstrip.
Roche Harbor is small enough that you can walk everywhere. The whole town is oriented around the harbour, and the hotels and docks that surround it.
- Sculpture Garden, opposite the airport. Dozens of sculptures in over 10 acres. $5. edit
- The marina is the heart of town. It is jammed with a variety of pleasure boats. The ambience is very pleasant, especially when the weather is fine. See the toilet service boat, M.V. Phecal Freak (motto: "we take crap from anyone" — really!)
- Orca Whale Watching from Sea Kayaks Biologist guides lead kayaking tours to the prime orca whale watching waters. Abundant seals, eagles, and other marine wildlife. Tour lengths range from a half-day up to 2, 3 and 5 day camping trips to the smaller islands. 360-378-5767 or 888-589-4253, firstname.lastname@example.org Kayaking with Orca Whales
- Birding and Bird-watching Tours Local bird book author/biologist Mark Lewis guides birding tours throughout the San Juan Islands, home to 300 species of birds. Tour lengths from half-day to full day to multi-days. 360-378-5767 or 888-589-4253, email@example.com Birding Tours on San Juan Island
- Lime Kiln Cafe. A delightful setting at the end of an old wharf. Very pleasant in the summer. $10-15 for lunch and soft drink, including tip and tax. edit
- Hotel de Haro (Roche Harbor), 248 Reuben Memorial Dr, ☎ +1 360 378-2155, . A historic, 130 year old hotel resort right on the water. $170-220. edit
Bicycling is very pleasant on San Juan Island. There are various bike rental options, including one by the airport. (It also rents motor scooters and jeeps.)
One of the beaches on San Juan Island is a great place to watch orcas (whales).
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!