Rethymno (Ρέθυμνο) is a beautiful, historic town on the island of Crete in Greece.
Originally founded in the Minoan era, Rethymno is a rare combination of old-town charm, historic attractions, and proximity to both the sleepy inland and to some of Crete's finest beaches.
You can get to Rethymno by regular bus lines from Chania or Heraklion (both have an airport). To get to Rethymno from Heraklion it takes 90 minutes and costs about 8€, from Chania about 60 minutes and 6€. The coaches are operated by two KTEL companies , . All buses stop at the bus station just west of the center of Rethymno. From the bus station it's a 15-minute walk or a 5-minute taxi-ride to the ferry.
Rethymno has no airport of its own, but is easily accessible by bus from Heraklion (80km away) and Chania (56km away). Chania airport is much smaller and far less busy than Heraklion airport, but both are served by multiple airlines including easyJet, Ryanair, Monarch Airlines, and Aegean Airlines.
Crete flight schedules.
Ferries run daily from Pireaus (Athens), which arrive early in the morning. Most of the boats arrive in either Chania or Heraklion, but there are also direct routes to Rethymno. Ferry tickets may be acquired through minoan lines or anek lines.  Rethymno is rare among Cretan cities in that the ferry dock is in the center of the historic town, affording a much more fun and picturesque arrival.
- Bus - as with most places in Greece, tickets must be purchased at a shop before boarding public buses.
- Taxi/Cab - cabs can be hailed on the streets, but expect to share the cab with strangers who might also hail the cab on the way to where you're going.
- Go Rent a Car (http://www.gorentacar.gr), 34, 1770 Str Heraklion 71202, ☎ +30 2810 300865 (email@example.com, fax: 0030 2810 3008667), . 07:00-24:00. 20.
- The Old Town Rethymno was founded by the Minoans and variously occupied by the Romans, Venetians, and Ottomans. The aristocratic architecture in the old center of town reflects this history, with many buildings dating from the 16th century.
- The Fortezza This fortress overlooking the old town is the primary remnant of the Venetian occupation of Crete in the 16th century. Visitors can enter and explore the entire area within its massive walls and the many buildings within, with great views of the town, mountains, and shore from inside. Concerts are frequently held in the arena within the walls of the keep.
- The Venetian Harbor Another notable remnant of the Rethyno's Venetian period with its beautiful lighthouse and many quiet tavernas from which to watch the boats.
- Beaches One of the best beaches in Crete, Rethymno's beach begins in town and extends several miles to the east, much of it backed by hotels. In the west, after a little industrial area, a rocky unspoilt coastline takes you towards another good beach 5 miles to the west of Rethymno, towards Georgiopoli.
- Parks There is a small park in the centre with a very small zoo containing some Cretan mountain goats.
- Gorges The inland side of Rethymno is home to numerous beautiful gorges , all of which make for delightful walks full of olive trees, goats, farms, tiny churches, and friendly locals. The Myli and Kourtaliotikos gorges are particularly stunning.
- Boat Trips Boat trips are available from the harbour, including one rather flashy pirate ship ride.
- Paragliding Several local groups offer paragliding, best arranged through your hotel or accommodation.
During the main summer season, Rethymno is very touristic. Shops and visitors everywhere, the closer to the beach the more! They offer anything considered "souvenir". Recommend to ask your hotel receptionists for recommendations of local stores.
Olives, Raki, Ouzo and wines are common commodities of Crete origin. Cheapest at the locals supermarkets, away from the hotels/beaches (1kg olives at below €2). Aside oranges/orange juice, fruits and juices are rather expensive.
- Bazaar Wine Shop For authentic Cretan wine with no preservatives added, (no headache).Sofokli Venizelou 18, in the center of the Old Town. FREE tasting and best prices, fill up your own jug from their wine barrels. Enjoy Cretan white wine, retsina, red wine, rose, and of course ouzo and Metaxa Brandy. Fanis will treat you right! find Bazaar on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BazaarWines.
Good food abounds - many nice restaurants are located inside the city. The restaurants on the beach front are tourist oriented, though food quality is okay (though lower than in most of the small tavernas in the back streets). As the quality changes every season with new cooks/managements, your hotel receptionists will be able to give you quite good ideas. Another option is to simply walk down the beach and sample from the many beach side tavernas.
Pita Gyros (kebab) and Pita Souvlaki (similar to gyros with braised meat) are the standard Greek dishes or Cretan specialties.
For dessert, Meli at S.Venizelou 7 is the local favorite for ice cream.
Most of the bars close to the Rimondi Fountain are noisy and busy, but are good for people-watching. There are more relaxing places in the narrow streets nearby. Try the Punch Bowl: just like a traditional Irish pub, it is full of curios and the Irish landlady serves a great pint of Guinness. It is situated at number 42 Arabatzoglou.
For a late night drink try Extreme. A good venue for rock music, it's in the lane between the museum and the harbour. There are more disco style bars close by. The promenade has mostly cocktail bars which are modern and brightly lit, with music going on to the early hours.
Or try the Metropolis music club near the Venetian harbour.
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Hotel, Sikelianou & Venizelou 52A, ☎ +30 28310 50432 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +30 28310 50432), . Overlooking the sandy beach and the city of Rethymno the hotel is six minutes walk from the old town.
- Aquila Rithymna Beach, ☎ +30 28310 71002 (email@example.com, fax: +30 28310 71668), . Accommodation types from main building rooms, bungalows suites and villas to royal pavilions with private pools.
- Camping Elizabeth, 84 Ionias str. terma (At the end of the Ionas road near the beach), ☎ +30 2831 028694 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Despite the name it is not just some place for people to pitch tents. Options to stay in a tent (9€), bungalow (27€), or caravan (31€) (tent/caravan provided by them, or bring your own for reduced price of 5€/7€). The oldest campsite on Crete, it's situated on the only stretch of beach untouched by touristy, impersonal hotels. Hot shower, drinking water, laundry, and wifi available for all, along with a delicious, beach-view taverna. Short walk to city center. Friendly, multi-lingual staff. Also the home of the local sea-turtle protection group 
- Evli Apartments (Evli Apartments), Ag Ioannou 10 (On the end of Moatsou Street find the Police Academy main entrance (Kaztanztakis Street), turn up this street and continue up this road until you see Evli Apartments.), ☎ +302831022351, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 12.00. 800m from the town center and about 1 km from the central beach and away from the main noisy tourist areas in a quite uptown residential suburb,with panoramic view & cool green surroundings just 2 minutes by car. (Free private parking) 38. (35.35842,24.48011)
- Faros Beach (Rethymno), El.Venizelou 88 (right by the venetian port), ☎ 00302831024588, . checkin: 10.00; checkout: 14.00. Faros beach located in the best position in Rethymno town right by the beach in the most important historical venetian old port. Free Wifi & Internet service, free kitchen facilities free sunbathing lounges and most of all the most budget prices for a good clean central location hotel. Free faxing services, panoramic view to the sea, town and beach. email@example.com; +302831022351. 38.00.
- Hotel Ideon (Ideon hotel Rethymnon town), 10 Nikolaou Plastira Sq., ☎ +30 28310 28667-9 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12.00. Hotel Ideon is located in Rethymnon town, close to important historical sights and to the Rethymnon market. Prices from 48€. (35.371808,24.47452)
- Youth Hostel Rethymno, 41 Tobazi Street, . The price is €10 per person per night per bed (dorm). High season price (July-15 September) is €12.
- Adele Mare, . Located in the Adele Beach suburb, about 10/15 min outside Rethymno, friendly and hospitable 4-star-hotel. Rooms either in main-building (cheap rooms are towards street) or in Greek style bungalows (get the seaview!). Food is breakfast + dinner (daily changing dinner buffet). During daytime, snacks can be taken at the pool or beach bar. Despite being rather rocky (foot protection recommended), the beach is wonderful, great sunsets. Sun chairs are €2,40/day (pool+beach).
- Axos Hotel (Ξενοδοχείο Αξός), ☎ 00302831054472 (email@example.com), . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. family run hotel.Fully renovated in 2009. It’s suitable for couples and for families. It has 44 rooms (16 apartments -4 persons capacity- +28 studios -3 persons capacity). All rooms have: TV, balcony, self controlled air-condition, satellite TV, extra long beds (2 meters), anatomic mattresses with ISO certifications, direct telephone line, radio, cookers, kitchen, refrigerator, toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer, bath tabs, change towels & linen 2 times per week, baby cot (on request). Reception 24 hours a day. €42-110.
- Creta studios (Calergi Crete apartments), Atsipopoulo Rethymnon, ☎ +30 2831 031021, . Small warm hotel located in a small Cretan village near Rethymnon, offering comfortable living and careful personal service
- Enagron Traditional Houses, Axos Mylopotamou, ☎ +30 28340 61611, . In a ranch, which covers an area of more than 50.000 m2 with cultivations such as olive groves, vineyards, etc., lies the Enagron. Located at an altitude of approximately 500m, near gorges and caves, just above the springs of Mylopotamos, the river that gave its name to the region. Located in the village of Axos at the foothills of Mount Psiloritis. 32 apartments distributed over 12 independent buildings, are fully furnished with all amenities (central heating, air-conditioner and fireplace) to make your stay comfortable and pleasant all year through. (35.312884,24.897766)
- Idili Guesthouse (Ξενώνας Ηδύλη), ☎ +30 28340 20240, +30 28340 20241 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Guesthouse Idili is located in Panormos, a very elegant seaside resort, with careful development of tourism between Rethymnon and Heraklion. The building was recently restored to a B class guesthouse, while keeping intact the architectural features of the building and the effects of the Venetian-Cretan architecture. €60-105.
- Jo An Beach Hotel, Adelianos Kambos, ☎ +30 28310 71487 (email@example.com, fax: +30 28310 71110), . Hotel Jo-An Beach is build near Adele village at a distance of 3 kilometres from the beach.