Rasht is a city in the north of Iran around 40 kilometers from the shore of the Caspian Sea. Rasht is known in Iran for its beauty and its parks. People for all around the country come there to experience much wetter and colder climate than the rest of the country. All in all Rasht and it's surroundings offer a starkly different experience from southern Iran.
There are a few daily flights from Tehran. Most of these depart either early in the morning or late afternoon. Seeing the Alborz mountains from the air is quite an experience. There is a direct flight to Dubai
Like everywhere in Iran Rasht is well connected with Tehran and neighboring towns by bus
Shared taxis (Savaris) ply the Caspian coast so getting to Rasht from anywhere in that area. A good choice for a trip from Tehran would be a shared taxi or bus to Chalus, a spectacular route through the Alborz mountains and then a savari from Chalus to Rasht.
You can take a taxi from Tehran to Rasht directly and it takes about 4 hours. A private taxi also is very cheap, about 40 USD.
- The Shahrdari .Rasht’s most identifiable landmark, its colonial style tempered by a token mini-dome topping a distinctive whitewashed tower. It looks great when floodlit at night.
- The Jelveh Building . A heritage building' is Rasht’s first private high-rise and identifiable landmark, erected circa 1931, with its distinctive French-Russian architectural.
- Rasht Museum is small, but well presented in a 1930s house. Its mannequin displays illustrate Gilaki lifestyle, amid a selection of 3000-year-old terracotta riton drinking horns in the shape of bulls, rams and deer. Supping from such vessels supposedly endowed the drinker with the powers and skills of the animal depicted.
- Tarditional Bazaar
- Guilan Rural Heritage Museum, Saravan- Shaft road, before police station, 18th km of Rasht- Qazvin freeway, ☎ ( +98131 ) 6690970, . In the heart of the forest nature of Saravan, Six full homesteads complete with rice barns are already ‘active’ in 150 hectares of woodland. On open days, local crafts (thatching, mat-making, cloth-weaving) are displayed and there are tight-rope walking mini-shows. edit
- Mirza Kouchak Khan Tomb
- Mirza Kouchak Khan House The horseman statue is Kuchuk Khan, the Jangali leader of 'Soviet Iran'. A steady flow of well-wishers visit his mausoleum on Manzariyeh St, sheltered by a contemporary brick gazebo with intricate wooden roof.
- Danaye Ali is topped with a faceted pyramid of blue tiling.
- National Library
- Sabz-e Meydan
- Park-e Shahr
- Ghasem Abad Flower and Plant Nursery, 95Km from Rasht to Ramsar (After Kelachay city, Ghasemabad village), ☎ +989196396185. Ghasem Abad village is a center of plant nursery in Guilan/ Gilan. edit
- Vajargah vast tea fields, Bibalan road, end of Daneshgah boulevard, Vajargah, ☎ +989196396185. Beautiful view over vast tea Farms where are so attractive for walking and photography. edit
- Bijargah rice transplanting, Bijargah, 10th km of Hadi-Kiashahr road to Rahim abad, End of Kelachay ringroad, ☎ +989196396185. Beautiful view over vast rice fields where are so attractive for walking and photography. edit
- Masouleh historical village is a (rather overrated) little village built on such a steep slope that the roads inside the village lie on the roofs of the houses below. A walk around town is very pleasant.
- Bandar-e-Anzali is Iran's main Caspian port. You will see fish markets and large ships from the other countries around the Caspian. For 500,000 per hour (try to bargain them down, there several operators at the harbor) for an entire boat you can go on a motorboat ride through the harbor and into the lagoon. The boat drivers often suggest that since you are in "Lagoonland" women should be allowed to remove their headscarves. It is a good opportunity since after wearing the scarf for long a breeze through the hair on a motorboat is most welcome!
- Golestan National Park. As a vast, unspoiled and intact natural reserve situated both in the south-east of the scenic Caspian Sea and 70 km away from historic city of Gonbad-Ghabous, Golestan Natural Park constitutes one of the richest and most significant habitat and sanctuary of variant types of vegetation and wildlife. Over 150 species of mountain birds as well as brown bears, tigers, wild cats, deers, mountain goats, foxes and coyotes are among the beautiful and rare inhabitants of this 10,000 ha long splendid natural park.
- Golsar suburb in the north of the city. It's the most modernized section of the city, you can find the youth roaming over there, beautiful shops & restaurants, & other occasions make you find yourself in a European country in the middle of an Asian civilization. Golsar pronaunced golsâr (Persian: گلسار) is a suburb of Rasht, the capital of the northern Iranian province of Guilan. Golsar used to be a very small neighborhood so that a chain gate had been put at the entrance before 1979. A few security guards were always monitoring and taking care of this gate. During the past couple of decades the demand for living in Golsar raised so that the area of this neighborhood started to grow rapidly. This area of Rasht is now the most expensive place in the city to purchase a house or apartment. Golsar is filled with many shops, restaurants, boutiques and coffee shops, and is the most popular place for teenagers and young adults to meet and socialize with peers. This crowd is due to an opportunity for young girls and guys to meet each other and exchange their phone numbers for either long-term or short-term relationships.
- Ascending Somamous Peak, ☎ +989196396185. Somamous peak (3,680 m) is the highest peak in Guilan. The best time is late spring and summer (May-August). It is recommended that you accompany a local guide in your first ascent. If you wish to climb Alam-Kooh and Damavand peak in Iran, ascending Somamous peak is the best preparation program for them. edit
- Cob Making, No 69, Abrisham1 Alley, Shohada St. Ghasemabad Sofla village, after Kelachay. (95 Km after Rasht to Ramsar ), ☎ +989196396185. You can learn about the cob mixture and the cob making process. Also you can applying cob to wall and enjoy the process with the trainer. edit
- Shahnazary Felt (Namad) Workshop, Shahid Fallah Alley , Infront Of Ramsar Municipality, Motahari St., Rmasar.. He has over 60 years of Experience in Felt and got Award OF Excellence for Handicrafts in 2012. You can visit the workshop that He works with his son and buy felt if he had. edit
- Chadorshab (Handwoven textile), Ghasemabad Sofla vilage, After Kelachay ,Gilan (95 Km after Rasht to Ramsar), ☎ +989196396185. Ghasem abad village is the only center of Chadorshab weaving in Guilan. Chadorshab is a handwoven textile which has motifs and patterns that often include sea-flower or carpet-flower, chehel-cheragh (chandelier), tree, comb, sea-wave reflection or light from the sea. It's usage is for Floor mat, blanket, tablecloth, chair cover, curtain, dress, table runner, bedspread and in small pieces used for making handbags and purses, dolls, pencil cases, etc. edit
Rasht and the surrounding towns of the Caspian province are a great place to try still-warm, walnut-filled koloocheh cookies. Look for stores selling cookies with round patterns embossed on them.
Bijan's (Gaz square) restaurant is a surprise. After having kebab for dinner all the time all over Iran this place will be welcome with wonderful italian dishes. Pasta, pizzas and meat dishes all cheap and exquisitely done.
You can buy some kind of DOOGHs, the traditional drink of the area... but [Sara] is the most famous Doogh in Iran.
- Gileboom homestay, No 69, Abrisham1 Alley, Shohada St. Ghasemabad Sofla village (95 Km after Rasht to Ramsar), ☎ +989196396185, . Gileboom homestay is located in north of Iran between Caspian Sea and Hyrcanian forest. You can have a hiking in the jungle and visit workshops of local handicrafts in the neighborhood. You feel Iranian hospitality in a traditional clean house and taste Guilani cuisine with classic local dishes. Vegetarians also may have local food. If you visit Iran and all historical sites you should also visit Gileboom to round up your overall impressions of the country. (37° 0’11.66″,50°29’38.94″) edit
There are a cluster of cheap, centrally-located mosaferkhanehs clustered just south of Shahrdari Square, off Emam Khomeini Street. As with other such establishments, many of them suffer noise and cleanliness problems.
300,000 Rials per person.A bit dirty but the cheapest one in town.On Imam Khomeini street.
350,000 Rials for single room.
The hotel Ordibehesht (off Shohada square) is a centrally located hotel offering twin rooms with bathroom for around IR 1,100,000 per night. The building is reminiscent of a palace in a horror movie but the rooms are all right. The reception can arrange fairly cheap taxi tours all over the area.
- For Masuleh village: From Shahrdari Square walk southwest along the pedestrian precinct until you reach the shared taxis (7.000 IRR) to Fuman terminal at Meydan-e Sabzi. There you can find minibuses or savaris (30mins, 30.000 IRR) to Fuman. From there take a taxi / walk to the terminal (2km from the Rasht-bound savari stop), where minibuses (15.000 IRR) / savaris (30.000 IRR) leave to Masuleh.
- For Rudkhan castle: As for Masuleh, from Meydan-e Sabzi, you can find minibuses or savaris to Fuman. From there take a taxi (30min, 120.000 IRR) / savari to Rudkhan castle.
- For Bandar-e-Anzali: From Shahrdari Square walk north along the pedestrian precinct until you reach minibuses (10.000 IRR) running north. Go as far as Anzali Istegar (actually the roundabout at Meydan Shahid Ansari), from where official and unofficial savaris (1.5$ / 45.000 IRR, June 2016) leave to Bandar-e-Anzali. Taxi drivers at this roundabout might tell you there no savaris and want to charge you 150.000-400.000 IRR for Anzali. If so, ignore them and cross the street where at the southeastern corner of the roundabout a few unoffical savaris wait.
- Old minibuses leave from a hidden terminal close to Janbazan Square to towns in the East along the coastal road like Rudsar and Ramsar (2h, 2$ / 65.000 IRR, June 2016) and further on. Take a shared taxi at the Eastern side of Shahrdari Square to this terminal (10.000 IRR), tell your direction (Ramsar) and "Janbazan".