Rajkot is a city in the state of Gujarat in Western India.
Mahatma Gandhi pursued his early education in Rajkot. The city is also famous for traditional sweets and dandiya/garba raas dances.
Air: Rajkot Airport (IATA code: RAJ and ICAO code: VARK). There are several daily direct flights from Rajkot to Mumbai. Mumbai in turn is connected to rest of the world.
Train: There are direct trains from all parts of India to Rajkot. Some of the longer routes include trains from Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Jammu-Tawi, Kochi, Secunderabad, Thiruvananthapuram, Bhopal etc.
Bus: Rajkot is quite well connected to the entire region of Saurashtra and rest of Gujarat by buses.
Rajkot is in the centre of the region Saurashtra. One can go around in any direction. Jamnagar and the Reliance Industries are about 90 km. Mount Girnar and the Gir forest (asiatic Lions) are about 100-150 km from Rajkot. The forest has a lodge and a Taj hotel too. Somnath temple is again around 200 km and a beautiful place to visit. Diu ( formarly a portugese colony) is again 200 km from Rajkot with beautiful beaches and good weather.
Near by Rajkot one can see Hingol Gadh situated near Jasdan about 70 km from Rajkot. Dwarka is about 200 + from Rajkot. Kutch, the hub of development, now a days is again some 200 km from Rajkot.
- Aaji Dam. A beautiful dam site constructed during British Raj. edit
- Kaba Gandhi No Delo. Mahatma Gandhi's childhood residence. It has now been converted in to a memorial called "Gandhi Smriti". The museum displays and consists of photographs, objects and the belongings of Mahatma Gandhi. edit
- Mahatma Gandhi High School (formerly known as Alfred High School), . Where Mahatma Gandhi got his primary education. edit
- Rashtriya Shala. During the Period of Non-Violent Movement to liberate the Nation From the clutches of the British Rule, Mahatma Gandhi, in the year 1920 , gave the Nation a novel idea of Non-Cooperation with the Government. He directed the Nation to boycott the government machinery, including Judiciary and educational institutions.Side by side Mahatmaji started Gujarat Vidyapith at Ahmedabad to impart education on new National Concepts.Similar national educational institutions , on identical concepts were started in different parts of the country. Rastriya Shala is one of such institutions. On February 21, 1921 Rashtriya Shala made its modest beginning and formally started functioning in a rental premises in Rajkot. Shri Lakhajiraj, the Ruler of the state of Rajkot , who was a great admirer of Mahatma Gandhi gave 66 thousand sq. yards land at a nominal cost to Rashtriya Shala. It is on this land that the main building of the institution was first constructed , and since 1924 Rashtriya Shala started its various activities in this building. edit
- Race course. Where people head for a stroll in the mornings and at nights specially on sundays. edit
- Swaminarayan Temple, . edit
- Shri Ramkrishna Ashram, Dr. Yagnik Road, ☎ 0281-2465200, . edit
- Jain Derasar, nr.aji dem (bhavnagar road). Good temple to see. edit
- Rotary Dolls Museum, Yagnik Road, ☎ 0281-2464352, . This unique Museum gives an overview to the culture and traditions of the world at large through a medium of various dolls edit
- Om Kareswar Mahadev Temple, Opp. S.T. Workshop, Gondal road, Rajkot, ☎ +919879891557, . 1. edit
Want to do shopping?If at all you are a typical shopper who wants to buy clothes,jewellary,watches etc. then you may go for the malls but if at all you want to buy the regional specialities,then you may go for the local bazaars such as dharmendra road-multipurpose(perfumes,insence sticks,clothes,handloom products etc.),bangdi bazaar-speciality for imitation jewellary and bangles,mochi bazaar-for footwear,soni bazaar-goldsmith market.
You will find many varieties of food.
Being the cultural and commerce capital of the Saurashtra district, one can expect to find many unique and delicious foods in Rajkot.
- For breakfast, generally Ganthiya is a very good option. Ganthiyas here are of many types like Fafda (wide thin strips of Gathiya, generally savored with Jalebi, and Sambhara, a juicy salad mix of grated beets,mangoes and spices), Vanela (bite sized pieces of Gathiya), Bhavnagari (Spicy Gathiya) etc. Ganthiya is made from Besan along with some spices and water which is made into a batter then fried in oil. Khaman and Dhokla are also very famous breakfast options. Bhakri (a hard Indian Bread) is also generally taken in breakfast, although it is generally made only in homes and not available with street hawkers.
- Diet conscious ? No fried food ?
Then you may go for Poha, Jalebi, Sweet Samosa, Sweet Kachori etc. You could get them at Kotecha Chowk. This a whole new fashion of breakfast in Rajkot. At some places you may also get some south Indian varieties like idli, vada etc.(kotecha chowk).
- For something spicy, one can go for Dabeli (Bread with spicy potato filling, stuffed with spicy peanuts and Served with sauces), Spicy Ghughra (spicy potato filled dumpling), Pav Bhaji, Panipuri, Ragda pattice, Dahi puri and many more fast-food items. These food items are generally sold evening onwards (with hawkers opening usually opening 17:30 PM onwards).
- Rajkot is also famous for its Kathiawadi Thali, with many good restaurants offering it.
- For the Sweet-toothed, Chikki, Peda are some of the sweets that Rajkot is famous for. There is a special shop famous for Peda named Jai Siya Ram Pendawala at Yagnik Road. The famous shop for Chikki is Jalaram Chikki at Limda Chowk.
- Different items of Rasikbhai Chevdawala is also famous for breakfast. Items like Farali Chevdo, Pauva Chevdo, Jariwali Wafer, etc are delicious to eat. Some Chutney, which is famous item of Rajkot, is served with all this items. One should even try the "potato pattice" which is served fresh and hot over there. even the Pedas and sweets are great here. It's actually one stop for everything one would need for snacks and sweets.
Rajkot is a place for food loving people. Therefore you have a variety of restaurants in for your lunch-dinner etc.
- Mehul's Kitchen (Mehul's Kitchen), Sarveshwar Chowk, Dr. Yagnik Road, Rajkot. (Opp to Jagnath Temple, Near Heera Panna Complex.), ☎ 9725441144, . 11AM TO 11PM. Mehul's Kitchen is a self service food outlet which also provides free delivery. Mehul's Kitchen is a concept based restaurant. We serve South-Indian & North-Indian food, Pav Bhaji - Biryani - Pulav truly in Mumbai style, Sandwiches, You can Make your own Pizza only @ our kitchen, A complete range in Chinese Food, Our "Stay Fit" section consists of Lassi, Juices and Milkshakes, Gujarati Food with suitable options. We have brought few flavors from Maharashtra, like Usal and Misal Pav, Several types of Wada Pav, Kachori and Samosa. edit
These r some of the famous tea spots
- Tea at Khetla Apaa, Kalawad Road.
- Kankai, Race course.
- Jai Ambe Tea, opp. bus stand.
- Rajpalace Coldrinks,kalawad Road, OPP. Wockhardt Hospital.
- "DABHI TEA CENTER",Dudh Sagar Main Road.
- Vishram Guest House, lakhaji road, ☎ 2230555. edit
- HOTEL SK (Deepak Thanki), Rajputpara Main Road, Rajputpara, In Corporation Chowk Behind Parmar Cycle, Rajkot - 360001 (Near ST Bus Stand), ☎ +919426655775, . checkin: 24 hours; checkout: 24 hours. 700. (,2500) edit
The Grand Bhagwati -