Quelimane is a city in Central Mozambique.
Flights from Maputo and Beira are operated by LAM. The airport is in good condition and quite easy to get through. Car hire is available (Imperial Rentals).
Roads are in poor condition in the centre of the city. The main road to Quelimane is in good condition.
Bicycles and even bicycle taxis are very common.
- The old cathedral on the Avenida Marginal, built in 1776. This beautiful cathedral is in the need of urgent renovation.
- The excellent and long beach is a 35km/one hour drive from the city. Bars and restaurants are there, serving very good seafood.
- Coquinha, Av Francisco de Mantenga. Try their delicious shrimps in sauce (caril de camarão) or grilled crabs. edit
- Refeba. Bar/restaurant at the waterfront. edit
- Rei dos frangos. Fast food style chicken. Open late. edit
- Qwehli Ristorante Pizzaria. Pizzas, sandwiches, burgers, pasta, beef, chicken options. Has free internet, isn't as nice a place as it once was, sometimes they don't have half the ingredients on the pizza menu. edit
- Xeke M@te. This Portuguese style pub/bar is one of the best places in the city to get a nice cold beer, a juice or a soft drink. Do not forget to eat the delicious rissól de galinha (Chicken Fried Pastry), the famous Bacalhau de Dona Eugénia (Mrs. Eugenia Codfish)- you have to order first which kind of preparation you wish. And last, but not least, try the Prego no Prato (Beef with egg and fries) the best in town. Just a tip, if you are also a Portuguese speaker, spend a few minutes talking with the people of the place, it is amazing and you will have a lot of fun. 100% guaranteed. In the Fridays and Saturdays it is open until late. edit
- Hotel Chuabo, Av Samora Machel, ☎ 24213181. Breakfast is served at the top floor restaurant which has a beautiful view to the river and old cathedral. MT2500. edit
- Pensao Quelimane, Ave Eduardo Mondlane, Tel. 24212359/4, from 450 mt./single
- Hotel Flamingo, Av. 1 Julho (Centre of town), ☎ +258 24215602. Reasonable hotel with basic air conditioned rooms. Internet is available in reception. Swimming pool and bar/restaurant outside. There is Wireless available at the bar/restaurant. Safe parking. MT1700/1900. edit
- Residencial Millenio, (Centre of town, close to Águila cinema). Indian style. Rooms with bathroom. Restaurant outside. Safe parking. Breakfast basic. MT1700. edit
Internet access is available at the post office on Avenida Samora Machel. Wireless internet is readily available in some places in the city.
BBC World Service transmit a mixture of English/Portuguese language programmes on 95.3MHz FM.
Visit the town of Mingano. It has almost no services but will give the visitor a glimpse into the lives of rural residents.