Federal Hill is a district in Providence, located just west of the downtown area of the city. The area officially begins at Westminster Street, the southern limit, and is enclosed by Routes 6 and 10 to the north and west and Route 95 on the east. Federal Hill (familiarly The Hill or Fed Hill) is one of the finest areas in Providence during the day, but really shines at night. Limitless restaurants and shops line Atwells Ave., the heart of the area, as customers and patrons wander up and down enjoying the scenery and each other's company. Federal Hill is also known as the "Little Italy" of Rhode Island and its shops and restaurants reflect the background and soul of the area. Besides all of the great shops and restaurants, Federal Hill hosts many events throughout the year like the Italian Festival, and parades around the hollidays. Live music is also held is DePasqual Square on the weekends and the sounds of the streets transport one to a different place and time. No matter what the occasion, Federal Hill is a great place to relax and enjoy the sounds of the streets and the delicious smells in the air.
The Armory District of Providence begins south of Atwells Avenue, West of 95 South while North of Elmwood Avenue. The district is defined by the 1907 Cranston St. Armory and the 19th century Victorian houses that make up most of the architecture. The district is the most quickly evolving area of the city while still containing the "old world charm" of the more posh East Side/College Hill area. While largely developed in recent decades, the Armory still maintains it unique roots in quirky restaurants and holistic medicine shops. The Armory is known for it's hipster scene with exceptional hang-outs and funky eateries localized around Broadway and Cranston St.
- With The Hill being right next to downtown Providence, you can easily walk, ride a bike, drive, take a taxi or a bus to visit Federal Hill.
- T.F. Green Airport is in Warwick, and an approximately 20-25 minute drive north on Route 95 brings you to Providence
Take Route 95 South to Exit 22 for Atwells Ave, take a right, and here you are
Take Route 95 North to the Exit 21, take a left on Broadway and you are right in the heart of Federal Hill
- There is an MBTA rail that runs from Providence to Boston, the Providence/Stoughton line. From the station, take a left on Gaspee St., a left on Francis St., a right onto Sabin St. and follow it until it becomes Broadway.
Providence/Stoughton Line Schedule 
- Royal Gallery, 298 Atwells Ave. Royal Gallery is one of several fine art galleries in Federal Hill. Along with a wide variety of fine artwork to look at, you can visit poetry readings, book signings, art auctions and different seasonal promotions. edit
- RI Market Tours with Cindy Salvato, ☎ 401-934-2149, . Perhaps the best thing you can do to really experience Federal Hill. A three-hour walking tour of The Hill led by Chef Cindy Salvato, visiting various restaurants and shops to sample diverse food and drink, meet chefs and vintners, learn history of the different places and even get tips on how to use everything you try in your own cooking. edit
- Columbus Theatre, 270 Broadway, ☎ 401-621-9660, . One of New England's oldest and most beautiful venues. It offers plays and productions for everyone, providing the "show" half of a fine "dinner and a show" evening. edit
- RI International Film Festival, 268 Broadway, ☎ 401-861-4445, . Independent filmmakers from far and wide flock to Federal Hill for the RI International Film Festival every August. The Festival has quickly become one of the most popular of its kind, voted in the Top 12 Film Festivals in the United States. edit
Federal Hill is a very nice place to go for an excellent night, but is best enjoyed with company. The heart and soul of the area is the closeness of all the restaurants and bars that really inspires visitors to move about to different places and meet new people all while enjoying the fine sights outside. Though the area is often frequented by higher-class individuals, they are more often than not very friendly and welcoming as opposed to snobby or rude. The Hill itself does not have any nightclubs, aside from dance floors in some bars or restaurants, but the very popular clubs downtown and concerts at the Dunkin' Donuts center are but a short cab ride or walk away. Federal Hill is a perfect place to eat at one of the finest restaurants in the area before a night out on the town; whether with friends, family or a romantic night with that someone special.
- Federal Hill Tattoo, 148 Atwells Ave, ☎ +1 401 861-1338, . M-Th 12-8PM, F-Sa 12-9PM, Su 12-10PM. One of the most popular area tattoo parlors, Federal Hill Tattoo offers classically trained artists specializing in custom large scale traditional American and Japanese style tattooing. edit
- Atwells Tanning, 123 Atwells Ave, ☎ +1 401 454-1949, . M-F 11AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12-3PM. A great place to get that year-round summer look: waxing & facials, UV teeth whitening, airbrush tanning VHR, beds, booths and all kinds of tanning products to avoid the winter. edit
- Rosebud Salon, 90 Spruce Street, ☎ +1 401 272-4676, . T-F 9AM-7PM. Both new customers and old, women and men, are welcome to be treated with the finest hair and skin care products such as AVEDA and Yon-Ka. Rosebud is also a certified Great Lengths Hair Extension salon for ten years and counting. edit
- Professional School of Bartending, 108 Spruce St, ☎ +1 401-831-6446, . Just where you'd like to enlist to land a job and any of the restaurants and bars in Federal Hill. They offer day, evening and Saturday classes and boast unlimited job placement assistance. You can even sit in and watch a class for free to see if it's for you. edit
A diverse array of shops adorns the streets of Federal Hill, all very close to each other, which makes for a great afternoon of walking and shopping before dining later on.
- Area 4zero1, 102 Dean Street, ☎ +1 401 383-8509, . A store with the latest fashion in the U.S., featuring Diesel, Prps, Earnest Swen, True Religion, LRG, Melting Pot, and more. edit
- Diva's Palace, 299 Atwells Ave, ☎ +1 401 831-0148. Tu-W 12-6PM; Th-F 12-8PM. A clothing for women hosting a wide array of beauty products, hair products, jewelry and ladies' apparel as well. edit
- Garbolino Inc, 254 Atwells Ave, ☎ +1 401 273-0080. M-Th 11AM-6PM; Fr-Sa 11AM-9PM; Su 12-6PM. Designer womens boutique, premium denim, one of a kind accessories and sophisticated clothing. Paige Premium Denim, Joe's Jeans, Ella Moss, Splendid, Custo Barcelona and more. edit
- Relish, 377 Broadway Ave, ☎ +1 401 273-8883, . Relish is a gifts boutique located on Broadway. The store is owned by someone from Portland, Oregon who has brought over a fresh Western U.S. influence to both the products and atmosphere in the store. They will carefully wrap your purchase up for safe travel home. edit
- Westside Eyewear, 328 Atwells Ave, ☎ +1 401 273-1483, . M-W, F 10AM-6PM; Th 10AM-7PM; Sa 11AM-6PM. One of the largest eyewear collections in RI, Westside Eyewear brings high-style and high-tech together for a new experience with same old glasses. edit
- Classic Watch Company, 1080 Atwells Ave, ☎ +1 401 273-2323. M-F 11AM-7PM; Sa 10AM-5PM; Su 12-5PM. They can repair all types of watches, and have a wide variety of antique clocks and watches for sale. edit
- Federal Hill Florist, 154 Atwells Avenue, ☎ +1 401 421-3430. Tu 9AM-4PM; W 9AM-3PM; Th 10AM-4PM; Fr-Sa 9AM-4PM. Federal Hill Florist provides flower and gift delivery to the Providence, RI area or you can pick them up yourself. They offer a large variety of fresh flowers and gifts, and you can order online 24 hours a day. edit
- Gasparro's Wine, 361 Atwells Avenue, ☎ +1 401 421-4170, . # M-Sa 9AM-6PM. Gasbarro's has an extensive line of wines from California and Italy waiting for you, and four generations of the area's favorite customer service to help you decide what to buy. edit
- Old Fashion Robotic Store, 14 Cedar Street, ☎ +1 401 276-4216, . Tu-F 11AM-7PM, Sa 10:30AM-6PM. Here lies a wide variety of machines both for education and hobbies. The store has everything from entry-level kits to complicated computer-controlled robotics for most any age group. (Out of business?)
Federal Hill is most known for its terrific variety and quality of cuisine and restaurants. Whether you're looking for a contemporary cafe, tavern or diner setting for some Asian, Cuban, Mediterranean, Southwestern or, of course, Italian cooking, you will never be disappointed with your choice. There are, however, a few restaurants that defy this norm. If your visit to Federal Hill is a special one, check the ratings and reviews for the establishment you wish to patronize.
- Bombay Club, 145 Dean St., ☎ +1 401 275-6363, . M-F 11:30AM-3PM, M-Sa 5PM-10:30PM, Sa-Su Brunch 12-3PM, Su Dinner 5-11PM. Providence's best North Indian home cooking invites you to the Bombay Club. It's been in Federal Hill for 10 years and has spacious seating, a full bar, a casual atmosphere and you are welcome to make reservations or just walk in. Most entrees cost between $10 and $15. Not wheelchair accessible. edit
- Caserta's Pizzeria, 121 Spruce St., ☎ +1 401 621-3619. Su 12PM-9PM, M-Sa 11:30AM-9PM. Caserta's provides some of the best value and quality on pizza in the area - a medium is what usually would be a large, and toppings blanket each pie. There is rarely too long a wait, and there is a very family-friendly casual atmosphere - everyone young and old is invited. edit
- Chef Ho's Chinese Restaurant, 243 Atwells Ave., ☎ +1 401 831-0777, . M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-10:30PM, Su 12:30-10PM. Offers dine-in, take out, cocktails and limited delivery service ($10 minimum purchase and $1 delivery fee). The staff is very friendly and well-liked in the area, as is their homemade Chinese cooking. edit
- KhooKitchen, 605 charles st providence RI, ☎ 401) 273-3888, . 11AM - 11PM. Khoo Kitchen is a well known authentic Chinese restaurant that delivers to many customers located in the providence areas. With over 10+ years of cooking experience, Yen Khoo looks to serve you with the highest quality of Chinese cuisine. Students And Senior Citizens can also receive a discount off the entire purchase. $. edit
- Mediterraneo, 134 Atwells Ave., ☎ +1 401 331-7760, . M-F 11:30AM-3PM, M-Th 5-10PM, F-Sa 5-11PM. Offers a full and exquisite Mediterranean menu, and the upper level transforms to a very exclusive discoteca-style nightclub on weekends. Meditrraneo is also is a perfect place to spot celebrities who frequent The Hill. The website has visits by Alec Baldwin, Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Steven Tyler and many more. Of course, you don't have to be famous to enjoy their excellent food and friendly service. edit
- Pastiche Fine Desserts Cafe, 92 Spruce St., ☎ +1 401 861-5190, . Tu-Th 8:30AM-11PM, F-Sa 8:30AM-11:30PM, Su 10AM-10PM. Located just around the corner from the cobblestone plaza in Federal Hill, Pastiche offers fine gourmet desserts in a sophisticated European atmosphere. It is a customer favorite, pleasing both newcomers and regulars year after year - the comments page of their website has an endless list of rave reviews and recommendations. edit
- Providence Oyster Bar, 283 Atwells Ave., ☎ +1 401 272-8866, . M-F 11AM-3PM, M-Th 5-10PM, F-Sa 5-11PM. Proper dress and no children allowed, the Oyster bar provides a shuttle to the Trinity Repertory Company and Providence Performing Arts Center, making it a hot destination for people attending events at those places. edit
- Tina's Jamaican Caribbean Restaurant, 223 Atwells Ave., ☎ +1 401 490-4625, . M-F 11AM-10PM, Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 2-9PM. Tina's offers Jamaican food cooked by authentic Jamaican chefs, and "food so great...you'll scrape your plate!" Tina's cuisine truly is authentic Jamaican as well, their ingredients are imported from Jamaica. Tina's also offers catering and party hosting on site. There also are Wednesday specials where everything on the menu costing only $9. edit
- Zooma Bar/Ristorante, 245 Atwells Ave., ☎ +1 401 383-2002, . Daily, 11:30-?. Zooma offers a high-energy, Cosmopolitan-type surrounding and uses local ingredients for its award-winning dishes. They cook mainly southern Italian food and the drinks are highly regarded by patrons. The service is friendly and prompt without overdoing either, and the lunch menu is very affordable. edit
- Pane e Vino Ristorante, 365 Atwells Avenue (3/4 mile down Atwells on the right), ☎ 401.223.2230, . Dinner 5 - 10PM. Italian ristorante and enoteca (wine bar) located on Historic Federal Hill, Providence, Rhode Island. It is where friends, family, and businessmen alike come to enjoy a relaxing and rustic Mediterranean environment, filled with the aura and sensation of the finest Neapolitan style Italian cuisine and wine. Pane e Vino celebrates the simple and basic things in life, without forgetting about the superior ways to enjoy them. Entrees $17-$34. edit
- Nick's On Broadway. W-S 5:30AM-10PM. Closed Monday and Tuesday. Great breakfast spot. The focus of this restaurant is on modern, organic cuisine and offers a variety of options throughout the day. edit
- Julian's Restaurant, 318 Broadway, ☎ 401-861-1770. This hip spot is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This place is vegetarian and vegan friendly offering a great selection of options. They also focus on serving organic product and even make their own ketchup. edit
- Providence Prime, ☎ 401-454-8881. M-TH 5PM-10PM. Friday and Saturday until 11PM.. This is a contemporary, upscale steakhouse offering only the finest meets. edit
- Sicilia's, ☎ 401-273-9222. M-TH 5PM-12AM. Fri and Sat until 2AM.. An Italian specialty serving, pizza, calzones, salads, and subs. Dine in, take out, and delevery offered. edit
- Siena, ☎ 401-521-3311. Siena offers upscale Mediteranian cuisine in a luxurious atmosphere. edit
- Venda, ☎ 401-421-9105. Venda has been in business for over 70 years. It is the most well known restaurant on "The Hill" and is famous for their homemade pastas. edit
- Walter's Restaurant, ☎ 401-273-2652. Walter's has reinvented Italian cusine bringing a creative modern flare to the dishes that will surely please. edit
- Andino's, ☎ 401-453-3164. 1940's retro inspired this restaurant will transport you back in time while serving you classic Italian cusine. edit
- Camille's, ☎ 401-751-4812. Camille's specializes in private functions and is a great place for a business get together or family party. edit
- Cassarino's, ☎ 401-751-3333. Daily 11:30AM-10PM. Specializes in authentic, quality Italian cusine in an upscale environment. edit
- Constantino's, ☎ 401-528-1100. Daily 5PM-11PM. Another veteren on Federal Hill, Constantino's has been serving up authentic Italian cuisine for over thirty years. edit
There are no establishments that are solely "bars" in Federal Hill, but nearby downtown Providence has plenty within a short walk or cab ride's time. However, each Hill restaurant offers a full drink menu, and some have bars that are open separate from the restaurant portion:
- Camille's. Bar open and drinks served until midnight M-Sa edit
- Mediterraneo. Bar open and drinks served until midnight M-Sa edit
- Providence Oyster Bar. Bar open and drinks served until midnight M-Sa edit
- Providence Prime. Bar open and drinks served until 1AM M-Th, 2AM Friday and Saturday. edit
- Two Forty Two. Bar open and drinks served until 1AM M-Th, 2AM Friday and Saturday. edit
Though Federal Hill does not have any hotels in its small area, there are some in downtown Providence that are the usual short walk or cab ride away.
- Hotel Dolce Villa, 63 DePasquale, ☎ +1 401 383-7031, . The only boutique hotel on the Providence Skyline. Rooms are spacious and clean, though the all-white atmosphere may take a little getting used to. This is not enough to ruin a stay, however, the rooms are certainly comfortable and have a fully kitchen area. Whether you're on a single trip, with friends, with loved ones or the family, this will definitely suit your needs and not put too much strain on your wallet. edit
- Renaissance Providence, 5 Avenue of the Arts. The Renaissance Providence a visitor favorite, it's one of the highest visitor-ranked places to stay in the area. The service is friendly and quick and very accommodating. The building is an old Masonic temple, which provides beautiful structure and an interesting history for anyone's stay. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!