Probolinggo is a city in East Java, Indonesia.
This is a port town, particularly for the fishing industry and is the nearest town of any size to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park. The latter is main reason any vistor comes here as there is little else of interest. The park is sometimes day tripped from an accommodation base at Probolinggo.
Buses from Surabaya take around two hours, as do those from Malang.
From Surabaya - at the Purabaya (aka Bungarasih) Bus Terminal, board a Patas (express) bus to Bayuangga Bus Terminal in Probolinggo for 30,000Rp (March 2016).
Be sure to go all the way to the main Bayuangga Bus Terminal in Probolinggo, 6 km southwest of the centre, instead of getting dropped off at some travel agent (who will pay the driver a commission). Minibuses to Cemoro Lawang, the nearest settlement to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru_National_Park leave from the terminal and take about an hour and a half. Purchase any tickets directly at the bus terminal, as the local travel agents are notoriously mercenary and will happily charge you multiples of the real price and/or fake return tickets.
For most people Probolinggo will only be a transfer point to get to Mount Bromo. If arriving by train (from Banyuwangi or Surabaya), you will already be spotted on the platform and freighted in an angkot to the bus stand to Cemoro Lawang (INR 3 000), which is located at the southern entrance of the Bayu Angga bus terminal. There travel agents will try to sell accomodation and tours, but they aren't too persistent. Just pay for the transport (mini bus, INR 35 000, 2 hours, in the unlikely case there are 15 people. 550 000 per van (Aug 2015)) and you should be on track soon.
When arriving by bus, the procedure should be similar.
According to the -friendly and helpful- tourist information office it is no longer possible to hire a motorbike in the town since 2014. Before it was possible at hotel Sinar Harapan, but some tourist stole the bikes according to the owner.
Candi Jabung, Probolinggo, East Java
- Candi Jabung (Jabung Temple), (5km east of the village of Kraksaan, nr Probolinggo). A restored Buddhist temple which dates from 1354 and which is mentioned as one of the places visited mighty King Hayam Wuruk in 1359. edit
- Songa Adventure Rafting, Desa Pesawahan, Kecamatan Tiris, Kabupaten Probolinggo, ☎ +62 35 763 0869 ([email protected]), . Songa as the pioneer of white water rafting in the East Java always keep the adventure programs educational and with entertainment aspects (Adventure'n edutainment). The name “Songa” were taken from Madura vocabulary, which means river. Songa was born in 1999 from a youth group who are creative and love adventure, Songa wanted to give contribution to the nation in education, nature conservation and economic empowerment. edit
- Noars rafting, Adityawarman 70, 2nd floor, Surabaya (At Pekalen river), ☎ +62 31 567 4090 ([email protected]), . edit
- Toko Jakarta, (intersection of Jl. Iman Bonjol and Jl. Dr. Sutomo. -7.7479063,113.217367). Children's toy store that sells Camping tents edit
- Giant, (intersection of Jl. Soekarno Hatta and Jl. Dahlia. -7.7533484,113.1969402). Massive walmart style super market where you can buy everything, including (overpriced) vegetables edit
Probolinggo is famous for its small, sweet green mangoes, known as mangga manalagi.
- Tongas Asri, Jl. Raya Tongas Km 84 (along the road from Pasuruan to Probolinggo). Cavernous but popular eatery offering a wide range of East Javanese specialities like nasi rames and soto madura. English menu available, mains around Rp 10,000.
- Bromo Permai, l Panglima Sudirman 327, Probolinggo, ☎ +62 335 22256. Very popular with budget travellers heading to Bromo-Semeru. Has a range of accommodation but all of it is clean, if basic. From about Rp 90,000. edit
- Hotel Tampiarto Plaza, Jl Suroyo 15, Probolinggo, . Mid range hotel with a nice pool and 24 hr restaurant. From Rp 200,000. edit
- Hotel Ratna, Jl. Panglima Sudirman, ☎ +62-335-421597. checkout: 12:00. Free breakfast. Squat toilet. Wifi only in the Lobby. Nice place and great for its price. Coordinates: lat="-7.7530337" long="113.2100513" (Aug 2016) 72,000 IDR ($6) for a basic room without aircon for two( $3 per person). (-7.7530337,113.2100513) edit
- Hotel Sinar Harapan, Jl Bengawan Solo 100. Reasonable place. Three kind of rooms; fan (100k), aircon (150k) and deluxe (200k). Aircon room is the best value, since the deluxe room is bigger and the aircon has not enough power to cool it. Downstairs room are less noisy. Renting motorbikes here is no longer possible. Note that the rooms have only a cold bucket-shower. There is a small store opposite the street with cheap and pretty good nasi goring etc, friendly lady. (May 2014) edit
- bromo sunrise homestay, jl. raya bromo triwung kidul kademangan (1 km south after probolinggo terminal), ☎ +6281336804697, . checkin: 10.00 WIB; checkout: 12.00 WIB. homestay budget style. a simple room with the bathroom inside. close to the public transport, so you can cath it while going to bromo mountain. the location near with the convenient store, ALFAMART Triwung Kidul so you can buy your daily stuff there 100.000. edit
On boarding intercity buses at Bayuangga Bus Terminal, beware of 2 scams targeting foreign tourist boarding buses: 1) someone insisting you have the wrong bus even if the bus lane or sign on the bus are correct; 2) someone insisting he is the bus conductor to be paid to, quoting a higher price and even showing a bus ticket to be issued. In both cases they will get very intimidating and will insist you pay or leave the bus, but stay firm in ignoring or politely declining them. They will leave the bus at some point after the bus begins its journey. Only pay to the conductor who collects from the locals shortly after the bus starts out. The locals are not targeted by these scammers and touts, and seem aware but are indifferent to them. Even the locals who do try to help might not see through their scam. Take the nearest seats to the front of the bus to stay within the crowd and to deter touts if it helps.
Be aware for the scams in the bus station if you want to go to Mt Bromo. They try to charge you too much money or entrance fees wich you don't need to pay.
When you take a bemo in the city to the bus station, the driver will drop you of at a tourist office where they will try to sell you an all-inclusive package with transport to and from mt Bromo, homestay, breakfast, and entrance ticket and bus/train ticket to your next destination for 550.000. You don't need to pay this entrance if you walk to Bromo or the sunrise point! It is a scam. The total package is of poor quality.
- Madakaripura Waterfall, at the northern part of Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park
- Yogyakarta via some direct minibuses just outside the bus station (150,000 IDR, 11h)
- Bali. Buses to Denpasar cost 175.000Rp, leaving at 17:00 and 19:00, 10 hours. Buses to Singaraja/Lovina cost 200.000Rp, leaving at 20:00, 9 hours. Both buses start from Surabaya and include dinner. (Aug 2015)
- Banyuwangi - an economy-class bus fare should not exceed 40,000Rp and is meant to stop at Sri Tanjung (aka Ketapang) bus terminal near the ferry terminal. Take note of the other Brawijaya/Briwijaya (aka KarangEnte) bus terminal located about 30 minutes south which may require additional fare. Be sure of which bus terminal is the destination.
operated by Mahameru Transport