The Prairies and Lakes Region is located in the north central part of Texas. It is home to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, the forth largest metropolitan area in the United States. This region also has a beautiful countryside with ranches, "bed and breakfasts", and many recreational lakes. Whether you're looking for the excitement of a big town (shopping, dining, nightlife), or for a more leisurely time in the rural areas, you'll find it here in the Prairies and Lakes Region.
The Prairies and Lakes region of Texas is divided into 3 bands which run roughly northeast to southwest, plus the metropolitan area of Dallas-Fort Worth.
- Addison - Over 170 restaurants in 4 square miles (10sqkm).
- Arlington - Amusement parks and the Texas Rangers. "Fun Central"
- Brenham - Known for the famous Blue Bell Creameries and the Maifest festival.
- Bryan-College Station - Brazos Valley. Home to Texas A&M University.
- Denton - University town with a vibrant music scene and easy access to the Texas Motor Speedway.
- Dallas - The Arts, the dining, the nightlife… Dallas has it all.
- Fort Worth - "Where the West begins".
- Gonzales - "The Birthplace of Texas Independence" Historical sites, festivals, good eats, and shopping
- Irving - Home of the Las Colinas Urban Development Center, and (until 2009) the Dallas Cowboys.
- Mesquite - The Mesquite Championship Rodeo.
- Waco - Cattle, cotton, corn, collegians, and culture.
- La Grange (Texas)- a unique small town Texas experience filled with history, culture, trendy shops and delicious cuisine.
- Dinosaur Valley State Park, 1629 Park Rd 59, Glen Rose, +1 254 897-4588,  Located close to Fort Worth, this state park is know for the numerous dinosaur fossils and footprints that can be found here.
- Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
- Palmetto State Park, 78 Park Road 11 South Gonzales, +1 830 672-3266, . Located near Gonzales, this state park (named for the Dwarf palmettos and other tropical vegetation found here) is located along the San Marcos River which makes it a popular spot for hiking, tubing, kayaking, and canoeing. Campsites for RV's and cabins are also available.
Many rivers and lakes are in this area. Camping and RV'ing is very popular here.