Powell River is in the Sunshine Coast region of British Columbia.
Powell River is on Highway 101, about 4-5 hours north-west of Vancouver. Although the city is on the mainland and there are roads in the area, it will require a couple of ferry rides (Horseshoe Bay to Langdale and Earl's Cove to Saltery Bay) to get to it because it is not directly linked with the rest of the provincial road network.
BC Ferries  runs a ferry service between Comox on Vancouver Island and Powell River. The ferry runs four times daily and takes 80 minutes. Cost is $11 per person and $34 for a normal passenger vehicle.
There is a small airfield which has regular scheduled flights to and from Vancouver. Private chartered flights are also available.
A car is the best way to get around. The city sprawls out along Highway 101 and the local bus transit is fairly limited and taxis aren't cheap. Alternatively, you could walk or hitchhike to get around.
The mountains of Vancouver Island towering over Georgia Strait in the winter
- Powell River is a nature lovers paradise with a variety of hiking, scuba, snowshoeing and swimming oppotunities.
- The Powell River Canoe Route links at least 5 lakes in succession with minimal portaging.
- The Sunshine Coast Trail is a hiking trail that runs the length of Powell River regional district.
- Rock climbing can be found up the Eldred Valley behind Powell River, or overlooking the ocean at Stillwater.
- A tour of the Historic Townsite and the Pulp and Paper Mill will fill an afternoon, or just gazing at the Hulks- a giant breakwater consisting of retired war ships.
Flower Rock earrings from Texada Island
- Chiang Mai, 4463 Marine Ave, ☎ (604) 485-0883. Thai food. edit
- Eagle's Landing Bistro, 1929 Twin Eagles Rd (South of town), ☎ (604) 487-1050. edit
- Garden Court Restaurant, 4660 Joyce Ave (at the Town Centre Hotel), ☎ (604) 485-3000. edit
- Gourmet Canton, 7-7030 Glacier St, ☎ (604) 485-2885. Chinese food. edit
- La Casita, 4578 Marine Avenue, ☎ (604) 485-2040. 11ish - 9ish. Authentic Mexican Cuisine. Dine in with funky atmosphere and outdoor patio, or take out! Enjoy our view with Margaritas Molé and More! $8 - $15. edit
- Manzanita, 6243 Walnut Street (Townsite, in the Old Courthouse Inn), ☎ (604) 483-2228, . edit
- Minato Sushi Restaurant, 4746 Joyce Ave, ☎ (604) 485-6118. Japanese food. edit
- Thaidal Zone, C-4454 Willingdon Ave, ☎ (604) 485-5171. Thai food. edit
- TC's Pub, 4660 Joyce Ave (in the Town Centre Hotel), ☎ (604) 485-3000. Popular bar for pre-drinks. edit
- Westview Pub, 4463 Marine (in the Westview Hotel), ☎ (604) 485-5025. Popular spot among locals (who affectionately nicknamed it 'The Zoo') that boasts live cover bands on the weekends and karaoke during the week. edit
- White Jag Pub, 6251 Yew St (in the Rodmay Heritage Hotel), ☎ (604) 483-7717. Nice bar to play pool and relax. edit
There are a limited number of small hotels in Powell River plus some bed and breakfasts.
- Beacon Bed and Breakfast, 3750 Marine Avenue, ☎ 1-877-485-5563 (toll-free) or +1 604-485-5563 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Clean, well-furnished rooms with terrific views over the water to Vancouver Island. There is also a library of DVD films that you can watch if you are bored with the numerous cable channels! $110-$120 ($10 cheaper mid-Oct thru April). edit
- Powell River Harbour Guesthouse, 4454 Willingdon Ave (at the Westview Ferry Terminal, just behind the Westview Pub), ☎ 1-877-709-7700 (toll-free) or +1 604-485-9803. The only hostel in town. edit
- Powell River Town Centre Hotel, 4660 Joyce Ave (corner Joyce and Barnett), ☎ 1-866-485-3001 (toll-free) or +1 604-485-3000 (email@example.com), . Upscale accommodation in the heart of Powell River. edit
- English Rose Bed & Breakfast (Glenys and Ian Basson), 6963 Surrey Street (20 minutes from Saltery Bay Terminal and 5 minutes away from the Westview Terminal), ☎ 604-485-8363, . Breathe in the scent of roses and sea air from the deck overlooking the beautiful Malaspina Strait. Luxuriate in your private studio suite, complete with queen-sized bed, wireless Internet access, and vcr/dvd. Start your day with an authentic English breakfast, complete with home-made bread and preserves. $85. edit
- Lund, a thirty minute drive north of Powell River on Highway 101, is a sleepy harbour town and gateway to Desolation Sound (a popular kayaking destination).
- Camping on Powell Lake or Texada Island, or swimming at any lake in the region is good fun.
|Routes through Powell River
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Wikipedia:Powell River, British Columbia