Powassan is a town in Northern Ontario.
Powassan, "the friendly town" had around 1200 people in the 80s, but then merged to include Trout Creek, South Himsworth and other neighbors. It is a small, hockey loving Northern Ontario town 30 km or so south
of North Bay, Ontario.
- To the west lie many nice lakes, nice fishing and access to the South Shore of Lake Nipissing.
- Wade's landing, the South River, and other camps give access to the water.
- Nipissing Village is a tiny village with one of the nicest Canada Post offices in Ontario (go check it out)
- Bowman's chute is a small falls near the bridge over South River. Access is going northwards on the first road on the west side of the Bridge over the South River.
- One can canoe the South River from near Powassan (Bingham Chute)?? which is a very nice trip. One must portage the Nipissing Power Plant, however the wooden barrel type turnstock(??) tube taking water to the dam turbines is worth the trip.
- After Bingham Chute(?) the South River meanders its way to Lake Nipissing.
- Near downtown Powassan, there is a nice hike in 'The Pines' up to 'The Mountain' Nice view.