Portree (Scottish Gaelic: Port Rìgh) is the "capital" town of the Isle of Skye, Scotland.
Several coaches a day run to Fort William, Inverness and Glasgow.
Frequent local buses serve all the other towns on Skye (except on Sundays). Principal destinations include: Broadford, Kyleakin, Kyle of Lochalsh (actually just over the bridge on the mainland), Dunvegan, Staffin and Uig. During the summer months, regular direct buses run to Armadale to co-incide with the ferries from Mallaig on the mainland.
The main road, the A87, runs from the Skye Bridge at Kyleakin through Broadford to Portree and onto Uig where there is a ferry port to the Outer Hebrides.
Portree is a small town - almost everything is only 5 minutes walk away.
There is also mountain bike rental; useful for exploring locally and there is car rental too.
- The Harbour - the pretty harbour and Shingle Beach are worth a visit, with attractive hills sheltering the bay from the sea.
Scorry Brek - Is a lovely walk which takes you along the coast looking over to the sound of raasay.
- Skye Scene Highland Ceilidh (held at Tigh Na Sgire, off Somerled Square) is an evening showcasing local history, music and traditions. Call 01470 542228 to reserve tickets (Adults £6/Concession £5/Children under 10 £4). http://website.lineone.net/~trotternish/skyescene.html
- For food for self-catering or Youth Hostelling, there is a Co-op supermarket on the edge of town.
- There are several interesting craft shops.
- There is a nice & cheap bakery on the main square.
- Over the Rainbow has great gifts.
- Portree Independent Hostel, Old Post Office, The Green, ☎ +44 1478 613737 (email@example.com, fax: +44 1478 613758), . A centrally located hostel with friendly staff. The building used to be a post office. The hostel has a spacious kitchen and common room, as well as a laundromat. £14-15 for a dorm bed. edit
- A great B&B is called Sidhoen Dubha, located on Staffin Road. 26 pounds per person, excellent location, quiet, gorgeous, clean, cozy, and a great full Scottish breakfast. ph: 01478 611820