Port Coquitlam  is a small city at the junction of the Pitt and Fraser Rivers in Vancouver's eastern suburbs. It is part of the "Tri-Cities" with neighbouring Coquitlam and Port Moody.
Port Coquitlam is situated on the Lougheed Highway (Highway 7), about 30-45 minutes from downtown Vancouver. It is also part of the Translink regional bus system and is serviced by route #159, which connects with Braid Skytrain station in New Westminster, and route #160, which provides a direct connection to downtown Vancouver via Coquitlam and Port Moody.
Lougheed Highway is the main road, roughly running through the middle of the city going east to west. There are a number of community bus routes that connect with the #159 and #160 at Port Coquitlam Centre and the Port Coquitlam West Coast Express station.
- Colony Farm Regional Park, Colony Farm Rd (main entrance and parking is at the end of Colony Farm Rd), ☎ 604 520-6442. Open during the day, closes at dusk. Popular spot with 8.5 km of trails and opportunities for birdwatching. An estimated 150 species of birds are in the park. edit
- Terry Fox Statue, 2470 Mary Hill Rd (Terry Fox Library), ☎ 604-927-7999. Outdoor Statue so open all the time. Statue to commemorate a, Port Coquitlam raised, Canadian Hero, Terry Fox. Terrance Stanley. edit
- Traboulay PoCo Trail. A 25km walking and cycling trail that circles the city. It is mostly flat and has varied scenery: along the river, downtown and residential areas. A guide is available from the city's website. edit
- Pallas Athena, 101-1250 Dominion Ave, ☎ 604 941-4871. Open evenings. Traditional Greek cuisine with some pizza and Italian dishes. The lamb and calamari are local favourites. $15-25 per main. edit
- Wah Wing, 2748 Lougheed Highway #207, ☎ 604 945-3333. Open for lunch and dinner. Popular restaurant that serves a varied menu of traditional Chinese dishes. Lunch: $8-10, Dinner: $10-20 per main. edit
- Gillnetter Pub, 1864 Argue St, ☎ 604 941-5599, . Pub with a patio that looks over the Pitt River or you can catch the game on one of the TVs. Crowd is more of a mellow middle aged group. The food is average but the daily specials are good value. Mains $9-19. edit
- Samz Pub, 2342 Elgin Ave, ☎ 604 461-1174, . Pub with great specials. 1/2 Burgers Monday. $2 Taco Tuesdays. Food is delicious. Servers friendly. Lots of TV's to watch sports. Mains $6-19. edit
- Poco Inn & Suites, 1545 Lougheed Highway, ☎ 1-800-930-2235 (toll-free) or +1 604 941-6216, . 99 guestrooms, including 23 suites and a few rooms with special themes like Romeo & Juliet, Deserted Island and Back to the 50s. Rooms come standard with fridge, microwave and complimentary high-speed internet. $160 and up in high season. edit
As part of the Vancouver region, there are many nearby things to do. Options include:
- Visit the North Shore to take in Grouse Mountain, a suspension bridge or go hiking in one of the many parks.
- Richmond has the historic village of Steveston, one of the largest Buddhist temples in North America and the night market in summer.
- The Fraser Valley, to the east on Highway 7, has Vancouver's zoo, hiking, hot springs and some local wineries.
|Routes through Port Coquitlam
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia: Port Coquitlam