The Pokolbin district, in the Lower Hunter Valley in New South Wales, is one of Australia's premier wine regions. Viticulture in the region has a long history, the first vineyards being established in the 1850's.
Pokolbin is something of a cross between a village and a district: it's a collection of vineyards and very small villages (Lovedale, Mount View and Rothbury), it doesn't have a single center that could be thought of as a township.
- Hunter Valley Gardens, 2090 Broke Rd, Pokolbin, NSW 2320, ☎ 02 - 4998 4000, . 9.00am - 5.00pm ~ Monday - Sunday. These magnificent gardens are of a horticultural standard you won't see elsewhere in Australia. edit
- Hot-air ballooning. Balloon Aloft 1 800 028 568, Hunter Valley Hot-Air Ballooning (1800 818 191).
- Jazz in the Vines is a popular event held in October, hosted by Tyrrell's Winery.
- A Day on the Green is a concert hosted each year by Bimbadgen Estate.
- Pokolbin Brothers Bicycle Hire, 307 Palmers Ln, Pokolbin NSW 2320, ☎ (02) 4998 7660. Cheap bicycle hire in a good location. However its the two guys that run the place that make it special. Ridiculously hospitable. The wine must also be good cos they were sold out when I got there. edit
- Audrey Wilkinson Vineyard DeBeyers Rd, 02 4998 7411. M-F, 9.30am - 5pm. Widely regarded as the first vineyard in the Pokolbin district.
- Bimbadgen Estate McDonalds Rd, Pokolbin, 02 4998 7585.
- Brokenwood Wines 401- 427 McDonalds Road, 02 499 87559, (fax: 02 499 87893). 
- Hermitage Road Cellars at Hunter Resort 02 4998 7777. Daily tours at 9am, 11am & 2pm (booking required).
- McGuigan Cellars McDonalds Rd, 02 4998 7402. The McGuigan's complex houses McGuigan Fine Wines, the Hunter Valley Cheese Company and the Chocolate and Fudge Shop.
- Lindemans Ben Ean McDonalds Rd, 02 4998 7684. Open for tastings M-F 10am - 5pm, closed Christmas Day, Good Friday and New Years Day.
- McWilliams Mount Pleasant Estate Marrowbone Road, 02 4998 7505. Established in 1921, McWilliams is the largest Australian family owned wine company in the country. Open 7 days 10am - 4.30pm. Guided tours $2.20/person.
- Oakvale (Broke Road, Pokolbin, ph 02 4998 7088, fax 02 4998 7077). Often has value for money wines at the cheaper end of the price range. 
- Pepper Tree Wines Halls Road, 02 4998 7539. The tasting room is surrounded by beautiful grounds and gardens. A good place to follow up wine tasting with a picnic. Open M-F 9am - 5pm, Sa & Su 9.30am - 5pm.
- Rothbury Estate Broke Road, 02 4998 7363. Open 7 days 9.30am - 4.30 pm.
- Tower Estate Wines Cnr Halls and Broke Rd, 02 4998 7989. Open 7 days 10am - 5 pm.
- Tyrell's Vineyards Broke Road, 02 4993 7000. One of the region's oldest vineyards. Open M-Sa. Winery tours are held at 1.30pm.
Be aware that many restaurants pay to be listed in tourist guidebooks and are exhorbitantly priced. It may be better to ask a local for recommendations. Rock Restaurant and Bistro Molines at Tallavera Estate are the only restaurants in Pokolbin to be awarded a chef's hat and both have a very good reputation. Other excellent restaurants are Shakey Tables, Esca at Bimbadgen Estate (especially for the wood-fired duck, which is the restaurant's speciality) and Cracked Pepper at de Iulius Estate.
- The Mill Restaurant. Tuscany Wine Estate, Cnr Hermatidge Rd & Mistletoe Lane 02 4998 7288 (fax 02 4998 7277) 
- Amanda's On the Edge Restaurant (Amanda's), McDonald's road, Pokolbin NSW 2320, ☎ 02 498 7900, . editA very popular restaurant. This also seems to be the only restaurant in this part of the Hunter Valley that is not a Winery too.
Bed & Breakfast
- The Willow Tree Estate Hunter Valley, 96 Mistletoe Lane, Pokolbin, ☎ +61 2 4998 7220, . Family owned boutique B&B located on a quiet country lane in the heart of the Hunter Valley. Easy access to all the major concert venues, wine and cheese tasting, winery tours, horse riding, bicycle hire, hot air ballooning, golf, horse and carriage rides, galleries and antique shops and fine dining. edit
- Mercure Grand Hunter Valley , Vintage Drive, off MacDonalds Road, Rothbury NSW 2320, P: +61 2 4998 2222, F: +61 2 4998 2200, E: email@example.com - contemporary one and two-bedroom apartments with gas fireplaces, doonas and fully self-contained. Apartments cost approx $230 - $390 per night.