Plainville often called "P-Ville"- is a town in Massachusetts, measuring 11.6 square miles, hosting a population of 8264 people as of 2010. Settled in 1661, it was originally part of Dedham until the King Philip's War, when it became part of separated Wrentham in 1673. Initially named after an affluential landowner, Benjamin Slack; the town was referred to as "Slackville" in 1865; until it's official separation from Wentham in 1905. Now, it is part of the Norfolk Country in the Providence metropolitan area.
King Philip's War
King Philip, also called Metacomet, was the head of the Pokanoket tribe of the Wampanoag Confederacy. War broke out during 1675-1676 between the tribe and the Puritan colonists of the area - when Metacomet suspected his brother was killed by the settlers. This resulted in numerous raids and battles - spreading in cause to consume land and trading. King Philip's War resulted in the virtual extermination of tribal Native Americans in southern New England and the disappearance of fur trade.
Plainville is posted between Gillette Stadium and Wrentham Outlets, having a central location while keeping the "small town feel". There are two main strips in town; one surrounding the elementary schools and the other branching out from the town square. Farther out, the town fades into forest, golf courses, and horse farms. The area experiences four distinct seasons; ranging from colorful and windy autumns, snow-covered winters, rain-drowned spring, and heat-wave summer. Like the majority of southern New England; summers can be hot and humid, with temperatures occasionally hitting 90 degrees, but keeping an average of mid 80s. Winters are fairly traditional, with below freezing temperatures and intermittent snow showers.
Map of Massaachusetts, with Plainville highlighted.
- Unless taking part in Black Friday shopping, avoid Rt. 1 around the Wrentham Outlet's at all costs. It's not uncommon to sit in miles upon miles of stand-still traffic for hours.
- Try to visit the Wrentham Outlet's during the week, as on the weekends there are tour buses that come, flooding the shopping center.
- Be sure not to take I-95 into town on Sunday's that the Patriot's have home games, as the traffic to and from Foxboro will take hours to get through.
With Plainville being a small town, it is possible to walk everywhere - however it is most likely that if you arrived there, you drove - and thus, this is how just about everyone gets around. Just in case - the bus, GATRA, does run from one stop on ManMar Drive, on the more eastern side of town. In the warmer weather, it is not uncommon to see teenagers walking from the Town Park to the nearby Cumby's for some snacks - but otherwise, a car is the way to go. Also, the town does have the added bonus of having free parking everywhere.
Most traveling into this town is done by personal car, which when coming:
- from North: 95S towards Providence to US-1S towards Foxboro/Wrentham
- from South: 95N towards Boston to RT-1A N towards US-1S toward Attleboro.
If traveling by other means, using the town as a less expensive place to stay when visiting nearby Gillette Stadium or Wrentham Outlets for example; you may come in:
- T.F. Green Airport, (PVD) in Warwick (Rhode Island) only 32 minutes away, with far less traffic than Logan. There is an available taxi and limo service to and from the airport. When arriving, just follow 95S towards Foxboro/Wrentham.
- Logan International Airport, (BOS) in Boston 44 minutes away. There is available taxi and limo service to and from the airport. When arriving, take 95S towards Providence.
- There is service from the MBTA - taking the Providence/Stoughton Line to Attleboro. This will bring you to the GATRA bus line, where you should take RT 14 from Attleboro to Plainville. There is only one stop in Plainville, on ManMar Dr. but everything is walking distance from there.
- Plainridge Racecourse, 301 Washington St, ☎ 508-643-2500, . Mon-Wed: 11:30am-10:30pm, Thur 11:30am-11pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-12am, Sun 11:30am-10pm. Plainridge Racecourse is a premiere horse and harness racing facility edit
- Wentworth Hills Golf Club, 27 Bow St, ☎ 508-316-0240. Wentworth Hills is a playable, daily-fee 18 hole golf course, that would be appealing to any level of golfer. edit
- Heather Hill Country Club, 149 West Bacon St, ☎ 508-695-0309. Heather Hills Country club is a unique 27 hole public golf course that is feasible for golfers of any skill level. It offers an 18 as well as a 9 hole course. edit
- Essance Message Studio, 23 Messenger St, ☎ 508-809-4700. Essance Message Studio offers messages ranging from prenatal to sports and hot stone therapy. edit
- Distinctively Sweden, 25 Messenger St Suite 1, ☎ 508-643-2676. Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, Sun noon-5pm.. Distinctively Sweden offers a varied selection of imported gifts from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland. Gifts include Scandinavian foods, clogs, music, and Dala Horses. Extensive stock of Vera Bradley products. edit
- Titus Engraving and Stone Setting, 44 Washington St, ☎ 508-695-0220. Mon-Thurs 10am-6pm, Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 9am-1pm. Titus Engraving specializes in stone setting and laser engraving as well as offers an array of jewelry products. edit
- Hallmark, 13 Taunton St, ☎ 508-699-0719. Mon-Sat 9am-9pm, Sun 10am-5pm. More commonly known as Winthrop's Hallmark, the Hallmark in Plainville offers a wide selection of specialty Hallmark products, such as cards ornaments, and figurines. edit
- Boston Tropical Tree, 86 Taunton St, ☎ 508-643-1200. Mon-Sun 6am-10pm. Boston Tropical Tree offers a diverse variety of trees, shrubs, and flowers. edit
- The Sober Camel, 56 Messenger St, ☎ 508-699-399. Tues 10am-6pm, Wed noon-8pm, Thurs-Sat 10am-6pm. A bookstore that specializes in self help, addiction, and substance abuse books along with other reading materials. edit
- Graphic Images, 75 Washington St, ☎ 508-695-5600. Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm. Specializes in custom decals, posters, bumper stickers, shirts, signs, calenders, and more edit
Although the town is small, there is no shortages on places to eat, from pizzerias to hole-in-the-wall breakfast shops to fast-food chains.
Honey Dew Donuts
Did you know that Honey Dew Donuts is the largest locally owned donut and coffee shop chain in New England? Started in 1973 by Richard Bowen in Mansfield, MA - it has now grown to over 145 units. The first coffee and donut shop to ever include a drive thru was the branch in Plainville, MA - which is now the home base, that which all training occurs and product testing prior to chain-wide distribution.
- Dunkin' Donuts, 4 Taunton St, ☎ 5086959945. Coffee, Donuts, Breakfast $. edit
- Dunkin' Donuts, 100 Taunton St, ☎ 5086990095. Coffee, Donuts, Breakfast $. edit
- Dunkin' Donuts, 86 Washington St, ☎ 5083163280. Coffee, Donuts, Breakfast $. edit
- Starbucks, 103 Taunton St, ☎ 5086435008. Specialty Coffee, Pastries, Bakery $$. edit
- Honey Dew Donuts, 2 Taunton St., ☎ 5086953236. Coffee, Donuts, Bakery, Breakfast $. edit
Street view of ManMar Drive, Plainville, MA.
- The Tavern From Tower Square, 119 Washington St., ☎ 5086997600. WTh: 4-9pm, FSat: 4-10pm, Sun: 10-9pm. Classic American, Casual Fine Dining, Sunday Brunch edit
- Rancho Chico, 52 Washington St., ☎ 5086432534. Daily 11-12am. Authentic Mexican food, Bar, Free Chips edit
- The Chieftain Pub & Restaurant, 23 Washington St., ☎ 5086439031. kitchen: Mon-Sat: 11:30-10pm. bar: MTW: 11:30-11pm. ThFS: 11:30-12:30am. Irish American Cuisine, Seafood edit
- Anthony's North End Deli & Bakery, 5 Man Mar Dr, ☎ 5086954221. Catering, Sandwiches, Calzones, Pastries, Cookies edit
- Fitzy's Pub, 1 Man Mar Dr, ☎ 5088093533. Sun-Wed: 11-10pm, Th-Sat: 11-11pm. Family, Italian/American, Bar, Catering edit
- D & D's Breakfast & Luncheon Shoppe, 2 Man Mar Dr. Site 4, ☎ 5086957865. Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch $. edit
- Plainville House of Pizza, 107 South St., ☎ 5086994479. M-Th: 11-10pm, F-Sat: 11-11pm, Delivery: 4-close. Pizza, Calzones, Subs, Italian. edit
- Imperial Dragon, 2 Man Mar Dr., ☎ 5086996088. Chinese, Take-Out, Delivery $. edit
- House of Fortune, 2 Wilkins Dr, ☎ 5086998887, 5086996998. M-Th: 11-10pm, Fr-Sat: 11-10:30pm, Sun:12-10pm. Chinese, Sushi Bar. edit
- Panera Bread, 103 Taunton St., ☎ 5086434515. Daily: 6:30-9pm. Bakery, Bread, Soup, Salad edit
- Subway, 13 Taunton St., ☎ 5086992555. M-F: 7-10pm, Sat: 8-10pm, Sun: 9-9pm. Sandwiches, Take-Out, Catering $. edit
- McDonalds, 9 Taunton St, ☎ 5086955094. Take-Out, American $. edit
- Best Stay Inn, 21 Washington St. Plainville MA 02762, ☎ +1 508 643-3730. checkin: After noon; checkout: 11:00am. 18 rooms. Cozy feel, spacious rooms, cable and wifi. $65-95. edit
Street view of Best Stay Inn
- Holiday Inn Express, 164 Washington St. Plainville MA 02762, ☎ +1 888 465-4329, . checkin: 3:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. Free wifi, fitness center, outdoor pool, A/C, free breakfast. $95-150. edit
- Edgewood Apartments, 100 Taunton St. Plainville MA. 02762, +1 588 695-2999, 1 BR $1300-1325, 2 BR $1500-1675, www.edgewoodapartmentsplainville.com, Fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryer, pool, wifi, fitness center. The Edgewood Apartments offer a great option for the traveler who needs to stay in Plainville a little longer than the average vacation.
If you find that you want to venture out of Plainville, you will find that there is quite a lot to see close by. Within reasonably short distances, you can find major attractions, shopping centers, and restaurants.
- Foxboro MA is about 14 minutes and 9.4 miles away.
- North Attleboro MA is about 13 minutes and 6.4 miles away.
- Providence RI is about 27 minutes and 15.5 miles away.
- Wrentham MA is about 10 minutes and 5.5 miles away.
- Gillette Stadium/Patriot Place
Gillette Stadium/Patriot Place can be visited using Washington St., located only 14 minutes away, this major New England attraction is home to over 31 shops, 19 restaurants, and a movie theatre. Gillette Stadium is also home to the New England Patriots, who are a NFL football team.
The Emerald Square mall is only 13 min away off of E. Washington St. The mall is home to a food court and a wide variety of stores spanning the mall’s 2 story structure. The mall also has the feature of free parking for patrons.
Providence, being only half an hour away on RT 95 is a melting pot of culture. Visit Providence’s many clubs and bars, experience a wide variety of food and cuisine, and spend an evening at Waterfire, Providence’s romantic water spectacular.
- Wrentham Outlets
Wrentham MA is home to the quite notorious Wrentham Outlets. Consisting of over 170 premium outlet stores, the outlets have 3 restaurants and is a great place for families to visit.
|Routes through Plainville