The Astana, fronting the Sarawak
Petra Jaya is a suburb of Kuching City, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Due to its close proximity to the city center, the residential area of Petra Jaya will be impossible to miss although tourist spots are quite uncommon to be found here. You can see a few interesting buildings scattered in the area.
- The Astana - Built in 1870 by the second White Rajah, Charles Brooke as a wedding gift to his wife, Margaret Alice Lili de Windt, it is now the official residence of the Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak, the Governor of Sarawak. The palace is not normally open to the public, although the landscaped gardens are, which can be reach by a boat ride across the Sarawak River.
- Fort Margherita - An old fort built in 1879 by Charles Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak. It served as a Police Museum from 1971 before being handed over to the Sarawak state government and now is a tourist attraction.
- Wisma Bapa Malaysia - Also known as Bangunan Tunku Abdul Rahman,it is the Sarawak state secretariat building. The old state assembly building and the Bandaraya Park are located nearby.
- New Sarawak State Legislative Assembly Building - The new state assembly building or simply called the DUN building. It is the meeting place where state assemblymen from all over Sarawak will meet and preside over debates and passing of laws. The complex is located at the north bank of the Sarawak River in between The Astana and Fort Margherita.
Sarawak state assembly building during construction in 2009
- Masjid Jamek - The official Mosque of Sarawak. Located nearby the State Library.
- Pustaka Negeri Sarawak - The Sarawak State Library. Popular spot among the locals for recreational activities in the evening.
- Kuching North City Hall (DBKU) headquarters, Bukit Siol - Cat Museum and Bukit Siol Park is located here.
- Stadium Sarawak - It was built in 1995 for the 1997 FIFA World Youth Championship. The stadium is adjacent to the old stadium, the State Stadium (Stadium Negeri) that was previously used to stage various tournaments and championship and Stadium Perpaduan.
- DBKU Orchid Garden, (Opposite the Kuching Waterfront. Nearby Astana, Fort Margherita and The Dewan Undangan Negeri (State Legislative Assembly building)), . 9:30am to 6:00pm. Everyday including Public Holidays except Monday. FREE ENTRANCE. edit To get here,simply cross the Sarawak river from the Kuching Waterfront to Pangkalan Sapi. The garden is a short 5-minute walk up the road. Alternative method is by taxi / car / coach from city centre to Jalan Astana, Petra Jaya. Crossing the Sarawak river on a wooden boat known as Penambang is a more interesting way to get to the garden. Bring a hat and camera (great for macro photography).
- D' Cove Pasir Panjang Family Park