Petrópolis is a city in Rio de Janeiro (state). It is also known as The Imperial City of Brazil.
Nestled among the forested hills of the Serra dos Órgãos, in the valley of the Quitandinha and Piabanha rivers, Petrópolis is a popular summer holiday spot. Besides the climate and surroundings, the main attraction is the former Summer Palace of the Brazilian Emperors, which is now a museum, specializing in Imperial history and memorabilia.
Petrópolis is home to the National Laboratory for Scientific Computing (LNCC), a research unit of the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Brazilian Federal Government.
In the 1830s, the area of modern day Petrópolis was little more than farmland. When Emperor Dom Pedro I went through there on his way to Minas Gerais, he was struck by the scenery and decided to buy some land. Dom Pedro I returned to Portugal soon after and the land was passed to his son, Dom Pedro II who built a summer retreat. Soon a palace was built along with mansions and a cathedral, giving its nickname, "The Imperial City".
Map locator of Rio de Janeiro's Petrópolis city
The only way into Petrópolis is by road. Buses run from the the major cities in the area such as Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte as well as places further afield such as São Paulo and Brasília.
- Única, ☎ +55 (21) 2263-8792. This company runs buses from Rio de Janeiro (1,5 hour) about every 40 minutes (Try and get a seat on the left hand side of the bus for the best views). You get dropped off at the Leonel Brizola bus station in Bingen about 10km from town. Take the local bus number 100 (R$2) or 010 (R$2.50) into the city center. Ask to be dropped off at Praca Libertad. R$23,56. edit
All the main tourist sights are close to the center and are easily accessible on foot. There is numerous bus services in and around town. Every line goes from the city center to one neighborhood. The most useful lines are the numbers 100, which goes to the Leonel Brizola bus station, and 700, that connects the center with the shopping and nightlife district of Itaipava
- Imperial Coop, Rua do Imperador 288, Centro, ☎ +55 (24) 2246-0066. This car hire place is really only useful if you plan on visiting the area around the city edit
- Taxi, ☎ +55 (0800) 241-516. If you're in need of a taxi, you can call this company or just hail one of the many driving around town edit
Catedral de São Pedro de Alcântara in Petrópolis.
- Museu Imperial (Imperial Museum), Rua da Imperatriz 220, ☎ +55 (24) 2245-5550, . 11am-6pm Tue-Sun. One of the cities highlights. The weekend house of Dom Pedro II and his wife, Dona Teresa. The well preserved building has a collection of royal exibits aswell as a 1.7kg diamond and pearl studded crown. Adults R$8 , Students R$4. edit
- Catedral de São Pedro de Alcântara (Cathedral of St. Peter of Alcântara), Rua São Pedro de Alcântara 60, ☎ +55 (24) 2242-4300. 8am-Noon & 2-6pm Tue-Sun. Housing the tombs of Dom Pedro II, Dona Teresa and their daughter Princess Isabel, this is a fine cathedral that has great views from its steps. Free. edit
- Palácio de Cristal (Crystal Palace), Rua Alfredo Pachá, ☎ +55 (24) 2247-3721. 9am-5:30pm Tue-Sun. A greenhouse built for Princess Isabel in France and brought to Brazil in 1884. Free. edit
- Waterfall km 13, (street from Itatiaia to Teresopolis at km 13). free. edit
- Museu Casa de Santos Dumont, Rua do Encanto, 22, ☎ (24) 2247-5222, . 9:00 - 17:30. The summer residence of Alberto Santos Dumont, "father of aviation", also known as “A Encantada”. R$5,00. edit
- Rios Brasileiros Rafting, Room 104, Rua Silva Jardim 514, ☎ +55 (24) 2243-4372, . This company organizes rafting and hiking trip around the area. They have English and Portuguese speaking guides. edit
- Trekking Petrópolis, ☎ +55 (24) 2235-7607, . This company organises hikes, mountain biking and other activities in the Mata Atlântica rainforest. edit
Like most towns and cities in Brazil, anything that you could want to buy would most likely in the main street Rua do Imperador. However if its clothes you're after you can't go wrong with Rua Teresa. This street has more clothes stores than you need aswell as a few good places to eat. Here are some good choices.
- Taco Roupa, Rua 16 de Março 364 e 366 Centro, 25655, ☎ +55 (24) 2242-8785, . A chain of clothing stores throughout Brazil. edit
- Sendas, Rua General Rondon 1015, Quitandinha, ☎ +55 (24) 2245-5556. A food and drink supermarket where you can pick up a whole heap of Brazilian food and drink. edit
- Majórica Churrascaria, Rua do Imperador 754, ☎ +55 (24) 2242-2498. Noon-10pm Tue-Sun. A great Churrascaria not far from the Meseu Imperial. R$24-44. edit
- Bistrô Petit Palais, Av Imperatriz 220 (Within the Museu Imperial complex), ☎ +55 (24) 2237-8000. Noon-7pm Tue-Sun. A nice little bistro serving pastries and some hot dishes. From R$16. edit
- Las Delicias (The Delight), Rua Gonçalves Dias 423, ☎ +55 (24) 2231-6033. This is a good Brazilian style buffet. Good for a quick cheap bite of local Brazilian foods. Less than R$20. edit
- Locanda della Mimosa, Alameda das Mimosas 30, Vale Florida, ☎ +55 (24) 2233-5405. 12:30-3:30pm Sat & Sun, 8-11:30pm Fri & Sat. This place may be expensive but the exotic foods are impressive. Reservations are highly recommended. 3-course dinner R$120. edit
Drinking is pretty thin in Petrópolis but there are a few good chopperias on Rua do Imperador. In Itaipava, there are very good bars and restaurants insíde the many shoppings, but the majority of them are only opened in the weekends
- Pousada 14 Bis, Rua Buenos Aires 192 (A few blocks from the bus station), ☎ +55 (24) 2231-0946, . This place has nice quiet rooms and is close to the bus station. Double from R$70. edit
- Hotel Colonial Inn, Rua Monsenhor Bacelar 125, ☎ +55 (24) 2243-1590. Beautiful antique style rooms with a nice feel. Double from R$140. edit
- Quitandinha Hostel, Rua Uruguai, 570 (The quickest way is to take bus 180 or 480 and avoid a connexion in the city center. Get off when you see the lake with the fake lighthouse and climb the stairs on the left of the palacio.). HI affiliated hostel located outside of the center in the quiet Quitandinha neighboorhood. 4 beds dormrooms in a wooden house, clean but worned out sheets, clean bathroom, friendly and helpful staff. Varied all you can eat breakfast. They cook basic but filling meals for RS6 at night. R$35. edit
- Pousada Mata Atlantica dos Sauer, Rua Bingen 1055, ☎ (24) 2244 0122, . checkin: 1300; checkout: 1200. A beautiful quite bed & breakfast alongside the mountains of Petropolis. There are 11 natural water springs on the compound that also has a waterfall. Some features include: Waterfall, Hiking Trails, Breakfast inclusive, Free Wi-Fi, Free long distance to USA and Canada. R$190. edit
- CompuLand, Rua 16 de Março 326, Centro, . 9am-7pm Mon-Sat & 9am-6pm Sun. This centrally located internet café has high speed internet. R$2/hr. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!