Perissa is yet another sea-side village (or rather: tourist waterhole). It has a long black sand, which is great to look and hot to lie on. There are all the usual water based activities plus a regular water taxi to take you round the headland to the neighbouring town of Kamari.
Taxi, Bus from the Boat Stop from Thira, Oia; mini-bus offered by the touts viz and hostel representatives when you stumble down from the ferry.
You can *not* easily walk over to Kamari, as there's quite a hill in between - water taxi, an endless bus ride or walking it is!
The taxi from the Port takes about 15 minutes and should cost no more than 15 euros
Once in the town of Perissa, it is easy to rent a scooter, or take a taxi, although it is sometimes difficult to locate a taxi because the town is small. Walk in Perissa is also difficult as there isn't pavements for pedestrians. However now the biggest part of the beach road is closed to traffic every day from 5.oo pm - 5.oo am , May to october. A really enjoyable walk or bicycle ride.
ATVs and scooters are the most popular options of travel on the island. Tourists can be seen driving ATVs on the main roads, which are safe to drive. Local drivers are courteous and will pass tourists on ATVs without causing too much of a commotion. Even though the main roads are paved, it is not well lit, so it is recommended that ATV pilots return back to the safe confines of their hotels before sundown.
A car may be a more suitable option than an ATV for a group of 3 to 5 people.
Often, a car can be rented directly at your hotel, and there are many car rentals located on the main street of Perissa.
Dimistris car rental seems to be cheaper than others located nearby. (as of year 2014, offering Volkswagen Polo for 50 euros for 2 days (while others offer a comparable car for 35-45 euros per day))
It is located on the main street, ~3 minutes walking from Meltemi jewellery towards the mountain, next to Mary Bill hotel.
Local buses are available for tourists and locals alike. Public buses are actually large, air-conditioned green tour buses. They may be overcrowded during the high season though, so be prepared to stand for half an hour. Public buses use Fira as a hub and spoke out to the smaller towns from there.
- Messa Vuna Do not go to Perissa or Kamari without visiting here.
It is on the summit of the mountain between Perissa and Kamari.
Here is a 3,000 year old ancient Greek town, which is still being excavated.
Many of the relics in Athens were pulled up from here.
The tour guides do not push this, because there are no organised trips there.
Please beware, this is not for those who have mobility problems.
Not for the faint hearted. There is a 3KM hike, up a 600M hill. then you have to walk round the ruins.
Note that (as of this writing), Ancient Thira closes at 2:30pm, so this is better as a morning or early afternoon trip. Even in the evening, it is worthwhile for the views of Kamari and Perissa.
From the summit, there are paths to Perissa, Kamari, or up to the monastery (from where it is possible to walk down to Pyrgos).
- Enjoy the long black sand beach and clean water.
- Climb the mountain to view Ancient Fira (Thira) archaeological site.
- CYCLE, (perissa beach/perivolos/vlyhada,emporio). The best way to explore the south part of the island or just cruise the 5km long beach road. Several places in Perissa rent bicycles from 3 to 9 euros a day depending on the quality of the bike and the days you keep it. MOTOMANIA (main road, 200m from church) has the best ones (but not the cheapest) edit
There are several super-markets and mini-markets located on the main street of Perissa and on the road along the beach (as well as on other streets too).
One can buy fruits there as well but don't wait until the evening to do that.
- Creamerie Vienna, On the Black Beach (Walk alongside the black beach towards the mountain until you see it on your left. Besides Pepi's). 9AM-11PM. A new seaside gelato shop that opened up early June 2008. Alexanderia, the owner, and her staff makes gelato fresh every morning. The only fresh gelato to be had on the Beach at Perissa. From 2.00 Euro. edit
- Bay Bees Grill is one of the many beachside restaurants that line the black beach in Perissa. It has excellent Greek and local specialities, including "Santorini Meatballs" which are made out of fried onion and tomato.
- Vulkano A luxurious restaurant that lies on the beachline.
- Charlinas Beach side restaurants in Perissa and Perivolos.
- Acropolis Beach side restaurant - Top quality, excellent service.
- Sea Side At the far end of the beach (in Perivolos), this restaurant is very highly regarded by locals. It is moderately expensive (~20EU per dish)
- Mother's Recipies Inexpensive restaurant, highly regarded by locals, and quite good. Take a right after the Mediterranean Dive Club, walk to the main road, and walk a block or two back towards Perissa Rock. It will be on your right.
- Locals also recommended God's Kitchen, on the road just past Mediterranean Dive Club. We only ate there once, and found it above average, but not spectacular.
- Atlas Restaurant and Bar, Main Road, ☎ +30 22860 83363. On the main road across from Youth Hostel Anna, Atlas is a quirky and cool restaurant serving both traditional Greek and western classics. The best burgers in Perissa. At night, the bar fills up with the local expat workers and can be highly entertaining. edit
- Santa Irini Bakery, (5 minutes from black beach). Very close to Katerina and John Hotel (see below). Amazing bakery with a 76 year history. Open 24 hours! Reasonable prices. Run by a wonderful older Greek gentleman stuffing free extras in your bag :) edit
- Poseidon, Perissa beach, ☎ +30 2286 085080, . from 9-10AM till 11PM-12AM. Salads and main dishes are large (easily shareable between 2 people); very good Greek cuisine; rich chunky soups; not too salty; usually serve free small sweet bonuses after meal; inexpensive. Dinner for ~50-60 euro for 5 persons. (36.34995,25.469272) edit
- TRANQUILO, Beach Bar- Restaurant, on the beach front (south corner of the beach), ☎ 2286085230. 09am-02am. Inexpensive vegetarian/vegan cuisine.Famous for its supersized fresh salads. Very popular among travellers, backpackers and expacts. Relax reggae atmosphere with sofas and hammocks. Yoga classes in the mornings and occasionaly live music on the evenings. edit
- Bob's Bar (aka The News Bar)
Outdoor bar, on the main street.
Run by a Lebanese family, it must have the cleanest toilets on the island!
If you like pina colada, you must give Bob a go!
- Katerina and John Hotel (Hotel Katerina and John), Santorini, 84703 Perissa, ☎ 0030 2286083283, . Extremely affordable budget hotel with amenities to spare. On site ATV rentals, Internet cafe (1 Euro per hour usage, 1/2 price if you bring your own laptop), a small on-site pool, clean sheets and towels. It's a short walk to the "Black Beach" that's lined with seafood tavernas. The 24-hour bakery across the street and cheap convenience store next door surely makes up for the lack of a shower curtain. Dorms and private rooms available. 6-56 Euros. edit
- Villa Marvalia, ☎ :+30 697 2496296, . A family run economy guesthouse about 100 meters from Perissa Beach. 8-30€ per person. edit
- Hotel Perissa, ☎ :+30 697 2119972. The hotel Perissa, B category is situated in Perissa, the most beautiful and largest black sandy beach of Santorini.The hotel consists of six separate buildings, breakfast room, bar, internet access, restaurant, swimming pool, parking places and playground. Each of the 57 spacy room of apartments has a bath, telephone, aircondition, fridge, TV, (some of them also have kitchen), safe box and private balcony overlooking the sea. The hotel also offers the service of rented cars, motorbikes and transport from the port and airport. edit
- Smaragdi Hotel (www.smaragdihotel.gr), Perivolos, ☎ 00302286082701, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. Smaragdi Hotel is an A class complex, built according to the unique, traditional Cycladic architecture. It combines the island beauty with the charm of small hotels offering all modern facilities. On the famous black beach of Perivolos in Santorini, sunny and cosy are the studios and the luxurious apartments all feature: Fully equipped kitchen, air-condition, satellite colour TV, direct-dial telephone, safe-box and hair dryer. To clients disposal are: The swimming pool and the pool snack bar with the beautiful gardens, private parking, barbecue, breakfast lounge, playground, safe, Fax-service, Rent-a-car service, Exchange service. Wireless internet is available in public areas and is free of charge. www.smaragdihotel.gr 20 - 100 Euros per person. edit
- Santa Irini Hotel, Perissa - Santorini Greece - P.C. 847 03, ☎ +30 22860 83391, . Medium sized (~15 rooms), family-run hotel, very clean service and premises (including the large swimming pool), impressively comfortable rooms (with refrigirator and air-conditioning), at very low prices. The friendly personel and their amazing chef have amazed us. Hint: Try the hotel's restaurant. Great omelets in the morning! edit
- villa the birds, perissa santorini, ☎ 00302286081177, . checkin: 13.00; checkout: 11.00 am. Deep in the heart of Santorini countryside, one can find 'The Birds Villa Hotel'and "The Birds Villa Apartments". They lies on the road to Ancient Thira at the base of the Mesa Vouno mountain, under the protection of Katefiani monastery. 300 meters for the hotel and 500 meters for the apartments away is the black volcanic beach of Perissa. The large fresh water swimming pools are surrounded by high walls for absolute privacy. Surrounding the Villa flowers & olive trees create a relaxing environment. The Birds Villa Hotel in Santorini The Birds Villa Hotel' offers 4 double rooms & 2 maisonettes for up to 3 guests. All the rooms have air conditioning, private balcony with Sea or Mountain view, TV, fridge & bathroom. The Maisonettes are split-level with a loft - the living room on the ground floor. Deep in the heart of Santorini countryside, one can find 'The Birds Villa Hotel'and "The Birds Villa Apartments". They lies on the road to Ancient Thira at the base of the Mesa Vouno mountain, under the protection of Katefiani monastery. 300 meters for the hotel and 500 meters for the apartments away is the black volcanic beach of Perissa. The large fresh water swimming pools are surrounded by high walls for absolute privacy. Surrounding the Villa flowers & olive trees create a relaxing environment. The Birds Villa Hotel in Santorini The Birds Villa Hotel' offers 4 double rooms & 2 maisonettes for up to 3 guests. All the rooms have air conditioning, private balcony with Sea or Mountain view, TV, fridge & bathroom. The Maisonettes are split-level with a loft - the living room on the ground floor. The Birds Villa Apartments in Santorini All apartments have separate bedroom and can accommodate from 2 up to 5 people. There is a swimming poll with an opposite swimming system and extra powerful hydro and aero massage, umbrellas and sun beds, Very nice and big private balcony. Full equipped kitchen, safe deposit, TV, CD player, hair dryer and private computer for internet access in your house, a/c, large bathroom with 24 hours hot water. Breakfast served in your apartment. After your request we can arrange a delivery from the port or the airport to your apartment. On the apartments building there is an outdoor barbeque area that you can use. Free Car for the duration of your stay. Townie Car for 4 passengers - CAT A/B Applicable to Apartment Reservations ONLY (except for the period 25th July until 25th August) 20. (60,) edit
- Veggera Hotel, ☎ +30 22860 82060, . Veggera is a 4 star hotel located on Perissa beach that offers rooms, apartment sand suites accommodation. € 74 - € 370. edit
- Hotel Mary Bill, Perissa main street (~2 min walking from Meltemi jewelery towards the mountain). checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Very helpful staff; air-conditioning, TV, fridge, hair dryer, electric kettle (upon request); free Wi-Fi Internet access in public areas and in rooms; swimming pool featuring mountain view; nice breakfast (excellent mini sausage and cheese pies). 50-70 euro per room. (36.354279,25.46957) edit
There are a number of laundries in Perissa.
At least one of them is located on the main street.
Wash + dry costs ~9 euros (as of June, 2014).