Parry Sound  is a city in Northern Ontario.
Parry Sound is a town in Central Ontario, Canada, on the eastern shore of Georgian Bay. It is located roughly half way between Toronto and Sudbury. Parry Sound itself has approximately 6500 residents and 21,150 in the Parry Sound area. The town is a popular cottage country region for Southern Ontario during the summer months, and thus greatly increasing it's population at this time. It is also the world's deepest natural freshwater port.
Long before the European explorers, Parry Sound was inhabited by the Ojibwe who referred to it by Shining Shore. Captain Henry Bayfield surveyed its waters in the 19th century named the town after the Artic explorer Sir William Parry. Years later a rail service made Parry Sound a valued depot along the rail lines to Western Canada.
Parry Sound’s natural splendor has attracted artists such as Tom Thomson and others from the Group of Seven during the early part of the 20th century. After World War 1 there was a slight economic decline since there was a rival construction company of a rival town, Depot Harbour. Parry Sound developed in tourism and commerce and economically benefited for the accidental fire that destroyed the whole town of Depot Harbour in 1945, which is now a ghost town. Since then, Parry Sound and become a well-know tourist destination.
Parry Sound is 150 miles (2:40 hours) north of Toronto and can be reached by taking hwy 427 N, merging onto 401 E, then traveling along the 400 N until exiting on Bowes St., exit 224. Parry Sound can be also reached from Sudbury by traveling 100 miles south (2:15 hours) on hwy 69 and merging into parry Sound Drive near the town.
If you are without the use of a vehicle, bus service from Toronto is available by Ontario Northland Motor Coach Services, and buses arrive daily en route to Sudbury. VIA Rail serves the town with passenger rail service twice a week, on its line between Toronto and Vancouver.
Parry Sound has many choices when it comes experiencing the great outdoors. The Seguin Trails are perfect for a hike or a bike ride. You can also stretch your legs and take in the sites along the Waterfront Fitness Trail.
- West Parry Sound District Museum, 17 George Street, ☎ (705) 746-5365, . (45.341295,-80.028571) edit
- Bobby Orr Hall of Fame, Two Bay Street, ☎ (705) 746-4466 ext 202, . View 60 trophies and awards, join in on interactive games and learn more about Bobby's Orr's Legendary Hockey career. edit
- Charles Stockey Centre for the Performing Arts, 2 Bay Street, ☎ 1 (877) 746-4466 x 208, . See live performances in the magnificent 480-seat Festival Performance Hall designed by acoustical engineers. (45.338705,-80.038927) edit
- Bear Claw Tours, 35 Shoebottom Road, ☎ (705) 746-9481, . Ontario's largest and most experienced ATV Guided Tour company. (45.347331,-80.017518) edit
- Georgian Bay Airways, 11A Bay Street, Town Dock, ☎ 1 (800) 786-1704. Operating out of Parry Sound’s beautiful downtown waterfront in the Heart of the 30,000 Islands, Georgian Bay Airways Ltd. offers a modern fleet of seaplanes. (45.339710,-80.014169) edit
- The Ridge at Manitou Golf Course, 160 Inn Road, ☎ (705) 389-3978, . Golf at this award-winning course, amidst 300 acres of unspoiled nature. (45.347331,-80.017518) edit
- Spirit of the Sound Schooner Company Ltd., RR# 2, ☎ 1 (888) 283-5870, . Cruise the 30,000 Islands aboard "M.V. Chippewa III. Choose from several cruises and menus. (45.347660,-80.033607) edit
- Park to Park Trail, 70 Church Street, ☎ 1 (888) 283-5870, . This 230 km mulit-use trail connects Killbear to Algonquin Provincial Park and cut across the Canadian Shield. edit
- Seguin Valley Golf Club, 144 Badger, Otter Lake, ON P2A 2W8, Canada, ☎ +1 705-378-2555, . edit
Diver's Nook  A fully stocked SCUBA dive shop offering charters and air fills/equipment. They usually dive the shallow wrecks around the Sound, and a charter consists of two dives.
- Theresa Gregory (YogAloft Wellness Retreat), 86 Brownley Rd. (McKellar, Ontario), ☎ 705-389-1669, . Complete Wellness Services in a retreat setting. Located on 165 acres of pristine sanctuary, YogAloft Wellness Retreat is the ideal place to practise yoga, receive massage, experience Reiki, purchase homegrown, homemade aromatherapy products. Weekly yoga classes also offered in the town of Parry Sound at the CP Station (1 Avenue Rd.) on Tuesdays. "Chair Yoga" class also available for those unable to get up and down easily on to a yoga mat. edit
- Parry Sound Tourism, ☎ 705-773-8716, . Providing information to tourists, cottagers and travelers about the things to do, places to eat and stay in beautiful Parry Sound, in the Heart of the 30,000 Islands of Georgian Bay. edit
- Parry Sound Mall, 70 Joseph Street, ☎ (705) 746-9252, . (45.359015,-80.040235) edit
- WildRose Designs Gallery, 1146 Hwy 141 (Exit Highway 400 Rosseau before ParrySound, located in the heart of Rosseau Village), ☎ 705 773 0811, . Co-operative Fine Art Gallery, member artists are Hap Wilson award winning photography, Ingrid Zschogner, pastel and pencil artist, Brenda Wainman Goulet, bronze sculpturist, Edith Fullerton, Watercolorist. WildRose also offers Custom Hand carved signage, photo printing on canvas( up to 60"), Custom painted and hand drawn portraits and Graphic Design Services edit
- Hemp Tent, 63 James St., ☎ 7057461549, . The best in all-natural, Fair Trade and Canadian made clothing, accessories, jewelry, body products, house wares, hemp foods and gifts for the whole family. edit
- Bay Street Cafe, 22 Bay Street, ☎ (705) 746-2882. Friendly Service with a view of the Georgian Bay. (45.340015,-80.035599) edit
- 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast, 40 Bay Street (across road from boat cruises), ☎ 1-866-371-2638, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on the waterfront, this B&B has 3 rooms all with own private bath, air-conditioning, free parking, WiFi, 24 hour coffee & tea station, guest fridge, bottled water. Provides a full, hot breakfast and can provide for special diets. $125+. edit
- Bayside Inn, 10 Gibson Street, ☎ (705) 746-7720, . edit
- Bell Lake Cottages, RR1, 143 Hwy 124, ☎ 1 (800) 257-7284, . edit
- Comfort Inn, 120 Bowes Street, ☎ (705) 746-6221, . edit
- Craganmor Point Resort, McLaren Island, Seven Mile Narrows, ☎ 1 (877) 333-3736, . (45.342049,-80.031158) edit
- Four Winds Cottage Resort, 508 Hurdville Road, ☎ (705) 389-9645, . edit
- Georgian Bay Fishing Camp, 40 Isabella Street, ☎ (705) 383-2810, . (45.356731,-80.025669) edit
- Georgian Inn & Suites, 48 Joseph Street, ☎ (705) 746-1500, . edit
- Horseshoe Lake Camp & Cottages, R.R. #2 North Sandy Plains Road, ☎ (705) 732-4928, . edit
- Log Cabin Inn, 9 Lil Beaver Blvd., RR# 2, ☎ (705) 746-7122, . (45.347462,-80.017478) edit
- Parry Sound KOA Campground, 276 Rankin Lake Road, RR 2, ☎ 1 (800) 562-2681, . (45.305290,-79.952139) edit
- Quality Inn & Conference centre, 1 J.R Drive, RR#2, ☎ 1 (800) 638-5883, . (45.34733,-80.017518) edit
- Trailside Park, RR#2, 105 Blue Lake Road, ☎ 1 (800) 951-3303, . (45.296397,,-79.978289) edit
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham, 292 Louisa Street, Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada, ☎ 705 746-2700, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. complimentary breakfast edit