Palakkad  is a city in Central Kerala in India.
Palakkad lies near a wide low gap or pass in the Western Ghats mountain ranges that separates Kerala from Tamil Nadu. Consequently the city is a major conduit for travel between the two states. Palakkad is 4,480 square kilometres and the population is 2,617,072.
Palakkad is the land of Palmyras and Paddy fields. It is the chief granary of Kerala, often called the Gateway of Kerala. Palakkad lies at the foot of the gigantic Western ghats on the border of Kerala. This city surrounded by mountains, forests and fertile valleys, rivers and mountains streams are rich in flora and fauna.
Palakkad is known for its historical background and the remnants of Tippu Sulthan's Fort are still maintained.
Malayalam is widely spoken language as the rest of Kerala. However Palakkad is close to the Tamil Nadu border and people understand and speak Tamil well. You won't be very far from a person who speaks perfect English or Hindi just in case you need one.
The nearest airport is the domestic airport at Coimbatore 50 km away. The nearest international airport is in Kochi. There are three airports in 2-3 hr travel distance (Kochi, Coimbatore and Calicut).
Palakkad is well connected and one of the railway divisional headquarters. Serviced by rail from all major cities in India like Hyderabad, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata.
You can also reach here by bus from big cities like Kochi, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Chennai, Mumbai, Coimbatore,Salem. However there is no direct bus from Hyderabad.
Palakkad is well connected to other cities Chennai, Kozhikode, Ooty, Palani, Kodaikkanal, Kochi, Bangalore, Coimbatore, Salem, Madurai by road. National Highways NH 47 and NH 217 pass through Palakkad.
- Bus - Palakkad is well networked by public bus transport. The state runs KSRTC and many private operators operate bus services.
- Autorickshaw - This is cheap way of transportation between attractions.
- Taxi - Local taxis are also available at cheap rates. You will have to bargain.
- taxiGUIDE.in (Palakkad Car Rental), ☎ +91 888 023 4455 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Inquiry: 7am to 11pm. Palakkad Car Rental services on taxiGUIDE.in - a Chauffeur Driven Car Rental service in 75 Cities in India. Fares start from Rs.2300 for full day local & Rs.14.5/km for Outstation. edit
- Walk - Many attractions in Palakkad like the Tippu's Fort, the Open air Auditorium called "Rapadi", the Stadiums etc are walkable.
- Government Victoria College. More than a century old, established by British during colonisation. edit
- Manapullikaavu Bhagavathi Temple, near lakshmi nursing home, pkd (towards chittur route). (,1.5 km) edit
- Kanhirapuzha Dam, Palakkad-Kozhikode National Highway (40 kms from Palakkad). Set among the Western Ghats, the reservoir of this dam is surrounded by majestic mountains and presents a spectacular view. An easy 1 hour drive from Palakkad on the Palakkad-Kozhikode national highway, with a turn off at Chirakalpadi. A very attractive garden too. edit
- Kollengode. Beautiful green lands, the great Palace of Kollengode Kovilakam. edit
The famous tourist spot of Malampuzha is situated just 8 km away from Palakkad.
- Loknayak J.P.Smrithi Vanam. edit
- Cholanoor Peacock Sanctury. edit
- Kanhirapuzha Dam, muhammed karakkadan. edit
- Seetharkundu water falls, (Near Nelliyampathy). edit
- Killikurrussi Mangalam. edit
- Meenvallam. waterfals edit
- Siruvani. (,10.970474, 76.647769) edit
Other places around Palakkad
- Yakkara Shree. Vishweshwara Temple (Yakkara temple), West Yakkara (2 km from Palakkad Civil Station). A Shiva temple consecrated by Sree Narayana Guru edit
- Ayalur Temple, Ayalur (33 km from Palakkad, bus for every 30 minutes). Car festival during winter edit
- Nellikulangara Temple, Nemmara (28 km from Palakkad). edit
- Meenkulathhi Amman Temple, Pallasena (15 km from Palakkad). edit
Asmarkovil : A religious worship centre of godess apasmara .. 30 kms from palakkad
- Tripallavoor siva temple, Pallavur (20 km from Palakkad). edit
- Kakkayur siva temple, Kakkayur (15 km from Palakkad). edit
- Hemambika/Emoor Bhagavathi temple and Siva Temple, (Near Olavakkode, 6 km from Palakkad). Bus available every 5 min from Palakkad Town Bus Stand. Board Rly Colony bus and get down at kallekulangara bus stop. edit
- Kakkayur Kottamala Ayyappa temple, Kakkayur (15 km from Palakkad). The giant walls of this temple is at least 1 1/2 times taller than an elephant, built of stones unbelievable in size. There are no stone quarry nearby from where this has could have been taken. These stones are laid one on top of another without any sealing in between. They have been standing like that for centuries just on gravity. Also on the walls are writings in some very old language. edit
- Pothundy Dam, (On the way to Nelliyampathy, 38 km from Palakkad). It is a reservoir built across Ayalur river as an irrigation project in 1968. It provide water to Nenmara and Ayalur villages. It is in a valley just below the Nelliyampathy Hills. edit
- Nemmara Vela. April 2nd/3rd every year. A traditional Indian festival. edit
- Chinakathur Pooram. Every March-April. A spectacular festival. edit
- Kalpathy Rathotsavam. Celebrtated during mid of November every year. Colourful Temple car festival where all the streets of the village will be lightened and the procession of Ratha's will take place. edit
- Kunissery Kummatti. In March/April every year (on Punartham of Meenam). A traditional Indian festival. edit
- Alampallam Radhotsavam. April. The biggest Chariot in Kerala. edit
- Chittur Konganpada. Usually in March. The celebrations commemorate the victory of the Chittur Nairs over the militia of nearby Konganadu during 918 AD. It is said that there was constant fight in the Palakkad region between the Kerala kingdoms on the western side and the princely state of Konganad on the eastern side of the Western Ghat mountains. On the third day of the Konganpada festival 101 rounds of the kathina vedi (ironpipe crackers) commemorates the historic victory. Later, there is a kolam procession of little boys dressed as girls carried on the shoulders of men. At night men engage in mock fights wearing buffalo head masks to symbolise the dead buffaloes of the Konganpada (Kongan militia). edit
- Puthur Vela, Puthur. Puthur Vela is a annual temple festival in Palakkad. A 10 day music and dance programme with intenational artists precedes this festival edit
Due to its traditional Tamil-Brahmin culture, Palakkad has maintained a slight distance from Malabar cuisine, focusing more on vegetarian Tamil foods.
- The Coffee Shop (at Hotel Indraprastha). Pure Vegetarian(24 Hours) edit
- Hotel Sri Chakra. edit
- Hotel Indraprastha. Veg and non-veg. edit
- Fort Palace Hotel. Veg and non-veg. edit
- Hotel Ashok Bhavan. Vegetarian. edit
- Hotel Royal Treat. Veg and non-veg. edit
- Hotel Kapilavasthu. Vegetarian. edit
- Hotel NoorJehan. Authentic Kerala style Muslim dishes. edit
- K R Bakes. Veg and Non Veg edit
- Hotel Indraprastha, English Church Road, ☎ 04912534641,09496628339, . 1500-8000. edit
- Hotel Gazala (hotel gazala). edit
- Hotel Chanakya, Chandra Nagar, Palakkad (Near BPL Factory). 500 - 1500. edit
- Hotel Kairali, Near Stadium Bus stand, Palakkad. 1000 - 3000. edit
- Hotel Malabar, Near stadium Bus stand. Delicious & Ethnic Veg & Non Veg Cuisine edit
- Kairali Resort (Kairali Resort), Olassery, ☎ 4923-222623, . checkin: 12:00 AM; checkout: 12:00 AM. Kairali Resort, Kodumbu Olassery Road, Palakkad 9000. edit
- Octopus Restaurant, Olavakkot Road. Very good veg and non-veg food edit
- Kairali - The Ayurvedic Healing Village (kerala ayurvedic spa resort), Olassery, Kodumbu, Palakkad Dist. – 678551, Kerala (25km from Palakkad Train station), ☎ (+91)-(4923)-222553, 222623, . checkin: 10.00; checkout: 12.00. A serene retreat, surrounded by organic ayurvedic herbs, with a swimming pool, authentic ayurvedic treatments and packages. A resident ayurvedic Doctor with 45 years experience provides ayurvedic programs with yoga and meditation courses at this registered ayurvedic hospital. 4,000 Rupees. edit
- ATS Residency, Yakkara road, Near DP office, Palakkad (Near KSRTC stand), ☎ 04912523180. edit