Padstow is small historic fishing port on the north coast of Cornwall, England. It is famous for its restaurants including television celebrity chefs Rick Stein and Paul Ainsworth. The harbour is undoubtedly the strongest attraction in the town and visitors find themselves drawn to it like a magnet. Fishing and pleasure craft rock side by side on their moorings, children fish for crabs from the harbour wall and quayside inns and cafes overlook the calm water.
There are seats all around the harbour and because something is always going on and it is such a restful and interesting place, Padstow is a favourite spot for both locals and visitors.
From the M5 south, turn onto the A30 just after Exeter. There are several options from the A30. The most direct way is to come off at Bodmin (A389) and follow directions through Bodmin and Wadebridge to Padstow. Just after the village of Whitecross, turn right through Little Petherick and St Issey (A389). This section of road is narrow in places and is not recommended for wide vehicles. To avoid this narrow road, do not turn off after Whitecross and stay on the A39 until Winnard’s Perch roundabout, and turn right towards Padstow. Alternatively, tay on the A30 until the Indian Queens and then follow the directions to Padstow (A39).
If you are heading for Port Isaac, Rock, orTrebetherick, follow the directions above to Wadebridge. At the roundabout, after Sladesbridge, turn left towards Wadebridge town centre and then right at the next mini roundabout. You go past the Wadebridge sports hall. Alternatively, you can come off the A30 earlier, just after Launceston, and follow the A39, through Camelford, towards Wadebridge.
The nearest airport is Newquay and has daily flights to London Stansted, London Gatwick and London Luton and less frequent flights to other UK airports. When departing from Newquay Airport be prepared to pay a £5 tax for the extension of the terminal building). There is an hourly bus connecting you to Newquay and Padstow.
Take a train to Bodmin Parkway (you may have to change trains at Plymouth). There are several of these a day. There are bus connections from Bodmin to Padstow. The timetables of the buses are designed to fit around the main arrivals.
All places in Padstow itself are within walking distance.
- The National Lobster Hatchery. On the South Quay, the national lobster hatchery rears lobsters to return them to the sea to relieve the strain from modern pressures.
- Prideaux Place. An old house located at the top of Padstow.
- Padstow Lifeboat Station. The station is located just outside of padstow at Trevose head. The lifeboat station is open during the day to the public.
- Padstow Tourist Information Centre, The Red Brick Building, North Quay, Padstow, PL28 8AF, ☎ 01841 533449, . Padstow Tourist Information Centre is your one-stop shop for all queries about Padstow and the surrounding area. edit
- Camel Trail - Cycle along the Camel trail to Wadebridge.
Padstow has a large number of beaches within the vicinity:
- St George's Well
- Harbour Cove/Tregirls
- Harlyn Bay
- Booby's Bay
- Constantine Bay
- Treyarnon Bay
Across the other side of the estuary are more beaches:
- Rock Beach
- Daymer Bay
- Padstow TIC, The Red Brick Building, North Quay, Padstow, PL28 8AF, ☎ 01841 533449, . 9-5 Monday to Friday, 10-4 Saturday & Sunday. For maps, books, walking guides, Eden Project tickets edit
- The South West Coast Path to Stepper Point. Walk the South West Coast Path from Padstow to Stepper Point at the mouth of the Camel Estuary. The path will take you past St Georges Well to the amazing Tregurls Beach, Harbour Cove and the old lifeboat station at Hawkers Cove. At Stepper Point you can visit the Coastguard Lookout, usually manned by volunteers, welcoming and eager to impart their local knowledge to visitors. The views from Stepper Point are amazing in all directions so remember your camera. edit
- Roses, 16 Market Place, Padstow, PL28 8AL, ☎ 01841 532577. edit
- Rascals (Children's Clothes (0 -5/6)), 16 Market Place, Padstow, PL28 8AL, ☎ 01841 532577. 9-30 - 5-00. edit
- Roses Florist, 16 Market Place, Padstow, PL28 8AL, ☎ 01841 532577. 9-30- 5-00. edit
- Gwyneth's, 3 Market Strand, Padstow, PL28 8AH, ☎ 01841532787. A charming jewellery & accessories treasure trove. edit
- Thoughts and Afterthoughts. Family-run card and gift shop. Sells ranges that include Waldo Pancake, Brightside, Lilly and Lotty silver jewellery, St Justin, Gift Wrap, Gift Bags, Splosh ranges, Spring Chicken cards, Camilla and Rose Cards, Oliver Preston cards, Simon Drew products, East of India products, Retro style products. edit
- Rick Stein fish and chips on the South Quay
- Roses & Rascals, 16 Market Place, Padstow, ☎ 01841 532577. 9-30am -5pm. edit
- The London Inn - 6, Lanadwell St, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8AN Tel: +44 1841 532554
- The Golden Lion Hotel - Lanadwell Street, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8AN Tel: +44 1841 532797
- The Shipwrights Inn - North Quay, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8AF Tel: +44 1841 532451
- The Old Custom House Hotel - South Quay, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8BL Tel: +44 1841 532359
- The Old Ship Hotel
- The Harbour Inn - Strand Street, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8BC Tel: +44 1841 533148
- *Margot's Bistro, 11 Duke Street, Padstow Pl28 8AB, ☎ 01841 533441. edit edit
- Number 6, 6 Middle Street, Padstow PL28 8AP, ☎ 01841 532093. edit
- Cherry Trees Coffee House, West Quay (Harbour Front), ☎ 01841532934. 9am-5pm. Freshly ground coffee, mouth watering cakes, local seafood and delicious pancakes. edit
- The Metropole
- The Old Mill House, Little Petherick, Padstow (2 miles from Padstow on the A389), ☎ 01841540388, . checkin: 15.00hrs; checkout: 10.45hrs. 16c converted corn mill on Little Petherick Creek From £85.00. edit
- Yellow Sands Apartments and House, Harlyn Bay Padstow (2 mi from Padstow on the A389), ☎ 01726 861732, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 10am. *Sandra May (Trewithen Farmhouse B&B), St Merryn Padstow PL28 8JZ, ☎ 01841520520, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 11am. £45pppn. edit £45pppn. edit
- Trewithen Farmhoouse B&B (St Merryn Padstow), PL28 8JZ (2 mi outside Padstow on B3276 lefr turn by St Merryn Church), ☎ 01841520420, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 11pm. Charming farmhouse B&B with wholesome food. from £45pppn. edit
- Harbour View Holidays, Harbour View, 3 North Quay, Padstow, PL28 8AF, ☎ +44 1841 532 946 or +44 7071 202 105, . checkin: 4pm; checkout: 10am. Harbour View self-catering holiday apartments are in a 400-year-old listed building, originally the Padstow Harbour Master's Office. Open throughout the year and offer weekly bookings (Saturday to Saturday) and also short breaks, March to November. Has 4 apartments, of which 3 have views over the harbour. Gulland is a one-bedroom apartment overlooking the harbour, Stepper and Pentire are harbour viewing apartments each with two bedrooms, 1 double and 1 twin)and Daymer which is a studio apartment with a double bed, no view. Each apartment has one parking space, adjacent to the Tourist Information Centre and is £30.00 per week in addition to the rental price. Dogs are subject to arrangement for an additional £30.00 per dog per week. edit
- Trevarrian Lodge, Trevarrian Lodge Trevarrian, Newquay TR8 4AQ (on the coast road from Padstow to Newquay), ☎ 01637 860156, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 10.30am. 4-star comfortable B&B between Mawgan Porth and Watergate Bay. Family, double, twin and single rooms all en-suite. Full English breakfast and alternatives. Good local pubs for evening meals. from £33 pppn. edit
- Elba B&B, Whitecross, Wadebridge, PL27 7JB (Just off A39 between Wadebridge & Padstow), ☎ 01208 814005, . checkin: 16.00; checkout: 10,00. 4-star quality accommodation, 2 king-sizeddouble rooms, 1 twin room all ensuite and all facilities. Breakfast Award for Cornish breakfast, including fruit salad, cereals, toast and lighter options. Good food at local pub 5 min walk or 3 min drive into Wadebridge. Wifi and off-road parking. £75 prpn. edit
Camping and caravanning
Padstow Touring Park (+44 1841 532061) 
Padstow Caravan Hire
Sun Haven Valley Holiday Park (+44 1637 860 373)