Orastie is a city in Hunedoara County, Transylvania, Romania.
The city is located in south western Transylvania, south of Mures river and west of the illustrious "Field of bread". The coordinates of the city being 45°- 49'- 3" north latitude and 23°-12'-5" longitude east. At an average sea level distance of 220 meters.
Orastie has a temperate climate with an average annual temperature is +9.8°C. January average -3°C and July +20°C.
Traces of human activities can be found since Paleolithic, with intense progress in the Dacian-Roman age. Orastie city was at one point a Dacian-Roman fortification, and along the time as suffered several transformations in relation to the strategical position. Orastie was destroyed and rebuild several times during the centuries due to firm attitude of his cohabitants, the Getae (named by the Greeks) or Dacians (by Roman definition).
The city's first documented Diploma of the city in 1224 was granted by the Hungarian King, Andrei II to renew the privileges to the German population brought here to populate the area and also to recognize the presence of native population.
In XIV century the population of Orastie counted around 1,300 souls and commerce with other Romanian Counties, Poland and Dalmatia flourished.
At the end of XVth century the territory was declared "civitas" a city with the right to be represented in the Diet.
With the beginning of the 1853, the city was the Capital Region of the 10th administrative center of Transylvania, the Orastie Region. Orastie region was devised in other 9 districts called "Plase". Those "Plase" where Deva, Halmagiu, Hateg, Baia de Cris, Ilia-Muresana, Soimus and Hunedoara.
At the Great union in Alba-Iulia in December 1st 1918, Orastie city was represented by a delegation. In the year 1974 was the anniversary of 750 years from the first incorporation record.
There are trains connecting Orastie to Bucharest,Arad,Timisoara,Cluj-Napoca,Iasi,Deva,etc.Check timetables here.
To drive to Orastie from Bucharest you must take A 1(E81) to Pitesti,then take E 81(DN 7) to Sibiu.From Sibiu you must take E 68 to Sebes and Orastie.
To come to Orastie from Arad you must take E 68(DN7) to Deva and Orastie.
From Cluj-Napoca you must take E 60 to Turda,then E81 to Alba Iulia and Sebes.From Sebes you must take E 68 to Orastie.
The city centre itself is relatively small with everything within walking distance.One can take also a taxi.
- St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel Orthodox Church. It is one of the most beautiful churches in the country, it represents a landmark attraction. Foundation stone was laid in 1936. The plan of the church was drafted by architect George Cristinel of Bucharest, and the painting was done by a famous painter of churches of the time, Dumitru Belisarie.Sanctification was made on September 2, 1945 in the presence Metropolitan IPS Nicolae Balan and head of government since then, Dr. Petru Groza. edit
- Museum of Ethnography and Folk Art, Aurel Vlaicu Square Nr.1. Positioned in the heart of the city, the museum was founded in 1952,it is the most important ethnographic collection of Hunedoara county. Reorganized in 1999, the museum exposes to the visitor, representative aspects of the Hunedoara universe and especially rural aspects from Orăştie area. The exhibition takes place in 6 rooms, arranged thematically, covering the main occupations (agriculture, grazing), secondary occupations(harvesting from the wild, hunting, fishing, pasturage, woodworking, weaving, leather processing), archaeological collections and numismatic, as well as issues relating to folk costumes, traditions and customs, religion and spiritual life. edit
- Oraștie Fortress. In the center of the city are the ruins of the fortress, the defense wall was a specific medieval fortification system . The fortress is mentioned in documents since 1544 by Sebastian Munster, and in 1560 by Giovanandrea Gromo. In the late nineteenth century, we owe a description of the city to A. Amlacher. It notes that the fortification of Orăștie had suffered much during the Turkish invasion of 1438 and 1479 (when the fight took place in the Field of Bread),it was besieged in 1561 and renovated in 1631. edit
- Dacian Fortresses of the Orastie Mountains. The ruins of fortresses from Costei (19 km from Oraștie), Blidaru (21 km), Cetăţuia (22 km) and Piatra Roșie are part of the complex of fortifications that were intended to defend the capital of Dacia. Real administrative and religious center of the Dacians was Sarmizegetusa (about 40 km from Orăștie), located on the right bank of the Grădiştea River. The ruins here reveal the three parts of the center: the fortress itself, sanctuaries and civil settlements. edit
- Geoagiu Resort Spa. Is situated at a distance of 6 km from the center of Geoagiu commune at an altitude of 350 m, in the hills of the south-east of the Apuseni Mountains.Geoagiu baths were known as the "Thermae Germisara" since Roman times. Relics and archaeological traces found inside the bath shows a strong and permanent service in the Roman period. Water from Geoagiu springs is calcareous and ferruginous with a temperature of 33 ° C.The waters of the resort are used both in internal cure and as a bath for rheumatic diseases, paralysis, etc. Ferric sludge that is found here is also used for the therapeutic purposes. edit
- Restaurant Tiprom, Str. Codrului 1, ☎ +40(254)241048. edit
- Restaurant Damian Company, Str. Luncii 1, ☎ +40(254)247486. edit
- Scorillo, Str. Dacilor, nr. 1. edit
- Caffe Rio, Str. Armatei, nr. 2. edit
- Tempo Rex, Str. Armatei 1, ☎ +40(723)280977. edit
- Arsenal Park Transylvania, Str. Codrului nr. 25, ☎ +40354 501001, . Let us report! The ARSENAL PARK had created a new form of military life: The Holiday Soldier. We had preserved the man-like spirit and the barrack atmosphere within the perimeter of the former munition factory in Orastie. Yet we replaced instruction with entertainment. No soldier on duty. No wakening with trumpeters. No crawling on one's ells. Only free schedule. Napoleon Bonaparte used to say that "any soldier has the marshal's truncheon in his kitbag." Here, any guest is treated as a marshal. The ARSENAL PARK is a holiday pile with 4 stars on the epaulettes. The most extended in Romania. And one of the few objectives focused on military topics in Europe. edit
- Hotel Augusta, str. N. Balcescu 5, ☎ +40254 243633, . edit
- Pensiunea Sura, Str. Stadionului 1A, ☎ +40254 247222, . edit
- Pensiunea Jorja, str. Nicolae Balcescu 30, ☎ 0254 240013, . edit
- Hanul Margareta, str. Armatei 45, ☎ +40254 244309. edit
- Pensiunea La Bariera, Str. Unirii 153, ☎ +40254 840849. edit
Orastie area code is 254 or 354,for Romtelecom,respectively RDS.If you dial from Romania you must dial with 0254(0354) in front of the number.If you dial from abroad you must dial with +40254(+40354).