Ocean City is a popular oceanfront resort city on the coast of Maryland. Many things draw visitors -- skyscraper hotels, clean beaches, the boardwalk, restaurants, beachfront lodging, amusement parks and the large convention center -- but a simple bay sunset may be the greatest pleasure. Visitors range from families escaping the more urbanized Western Shore of Maryland to conventioneers soaking up the sun to teenagers enjoying the first taste of vacation without adult supervision
Ocean City's Famous Boardwalk.
Ocean City enjoys, for the most part, a mild humid subtropical climate. Summers are hot and humid with occasional thunderstorms, while winter is cool with most precipitation in the form of rain (though light snowfall and sleet is sometimes experienced, particularly in areas further from the ocean). Spring and autumn share mild temperatures and fair weather. Hurricanes and tropical storms are rarely concerns, but they do affect the area once or twice in a decade, typically as a much less intense storm.
Ocean City is accessible from Route 50 in Eastern Maryland, Route 1 (coastal highway) in Delaware, and Route 90.
DART first state bus route 208  runs from Rehoboth Beach, DE to the intersection of Coastal Hwy and 144th St in Ocean City making stops in towns on the way.
The Ocean City Municipal Bus operates over the entire city. from 146th street to 1st. It costs $3 for a day pass and goes everywhere. Busses are frequent and quick during the day but can be slow at night due to crowded busses.
Ocean City is very easy to walk and easily navigable. You might end up waiting to cross Coastal Highway in summer due to heavy traffic.
Driving should be avoided in Ocean City because of very heavy traffic with frequent congestion. Parking can be hard to find and also comes with a cost. OC is still easily navigable if you're used to heavy traffic, streets are well marked and the entire city is just one long strip.
Many taxi services are available, ranging from '50s classic cars to modern mini vans. You can hail a cab on the street and most local cabs go by a zone fare system. Always ask the cab to run the meter or run away!
Upon entering Ocean City via the Route 50 Bridge, visitors are greeted with towering hotels, the hustle and bustle of the boardwalk, kite-flyers on the beach and lots of fishing boats and other recreational boaters. Ocean City's 10 mile long ocean beach is definitely the main attraction in Ocean City.
- Located in the south end of Ocean City, the historic boardwalk features various beachfront attractions, including shops, restaurants, lodging, as well as entertainment and amusement options.
- Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, 401 S Atlantic Ave, ☎ +1 410 289-5600. Summer: 10AM-5PM daily, March, Oct-Nov: Sa-Su 10AM-5PM. You won't miss this building, as it's on the boardwalk and has a giant moving shark embedded in the outer walls. It's not a cheap sideshow tourist trap, as you might expect, but rather a really big and engaging museum devoted to the strange. Adult: $11, Child $8. edit
- Wheels of Yesterday, 12708 Ocean Gateway (Route 50), ☎ +1 410 213-7329. June-Sep: 9AM-9PM daily, Oct-May: 9AM-5PM daily. A classic car museum of Granville Timper's personal collection. The curator will lead you through the exhibits, including all sorts of classic cars, as well as the development of the car engine, and a recreated 1950s service station. Adult: $4, Child: $2. edit
Beachgoers can swim, fly kites, play sports, surf or just relax on the beautiful beaches. The beach is fully lifeguarded and patrolled daily from late April to October. Golf, minigolf, deep sea fishing and more.
- Jolly Roger Amusement Park, 
- Trimper's Rides, S. First St. & The Boardwalk, ☎ 410-289-8617 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Amusement park located at the south end of town where the boardwalk begins. Has been in business for well over 100 years. edit
- Dive Ocean City, . Half day or full day custom SCUBA diving trips in a six pack SCUBA diving charter boat that runs recreational dive trips to some of the best local wrecks and artificial reefs. edit
- Glen Riddle Golf Club, . Glen Riddle has 2 courses open to the public as well as a Ruths Chris Steak House. The War Admiral course, is routed through mature forest. The course is sheltered from the wind. The Man O’War Course occupies the westerly portion of GlenRiddle and is not. edit
- Eagle's Landing Golf Course, . A seaside golf course.Overlooks Sinepuxent Bay and Assateague Island National Seashore" edit
- Ocean City also features outlet shopping as well as grocery and department stores to meet all your vacation needs. Of course, Ocean City has MANY souvenir shops for momentos of your Ocean City experience.
- Chauncey's Surf Shop, 2908 Coastal Highway, ☎ 410-289-7405 (Chaunceysurf@aol.com), . This is by far the best surf shop in Ocean City; the owner is a very nice guy. There is another location at 5309 Coastal Highway. edit
Dining options range from fast food, beachfront snack bars and all-you-can-eat seafood to dinner cruises and waterfront dining.
- Lombardi's Restaurant, 9303 Coastal Hwy., . Best pizza in town! edit
- Phillips Crab House, 2004 Philadelphia Ave., . The best seafood. In business for over 50 years. edit
- Bayside Skillet, 7701 Coastal Hwy, ☎ 410-524-7950, . Very good breakfasts. Specializing in crepes and omletes. edit
- BJ's on the Water, 75st Street Bayside, ☎ 410-524-7575, . Best seafood dinners and lunches in Ocean City, duck feedings at lunchtime, Canoe race in July, hoppin' bar in the evenings, amazing sunset on the bay! edit
- Belly Busters, 4408 Coastal Hwy, ☎ (410)-524-7116. Fantastic seafood, good cheap boardwalk fare. edit
- The Bonfire Restuarant, 7009 Coastal Highway, ☎ (410)-524-7171. arguably the best buffet in ocean city, features snow crab legs, prime rib, and much more edit
- General's Kitchen- The House of Chipped Beef, 7400 Coastal Highway, ☎ (410)-723-0477. arguably the creamed chip beef in ocean city, great place for breakfast and won't break your wallet, small place so expect to wait in line during peak breakfast hours edit
- Pizza Tugo's, 18th St & 118th St Coastal Highway, ☎ (410)-524-2922. Open till 4am. Pizza, Subs, open till 4am and delivers. edit
- Olive Tree, 127th Street., ☎ 410-250-8008, . The Olive Tree is one of the best Italian restaurants! The setting is beautiful and the food is delicious. It is a great place to take the family, or someone special, out for the evening. edit
- OC Frogs, at the end of the boardwalk at the inlet. a great place, a lot of locals go here edit
- Seacrets, 49th street and bayside. Jamaican nightclub scene, good live music nightly, dress code enforced, $10 cover on weekends edit
- Fishtails, 22nd street and the bay. a nice little place, they even have swings, $5 cover on weekends edit
- Macky's Bar & Grill, 54th street and the bay. popular bar on the weekends edit
- Fager's Island, 60th street and the bay. popular bar on the weekends, dress code enforced, $10 cover on weekends edit
- Clarion Resort FontaineBleau, 10100 Coastal Hwy. (From West RT50E to RT90E to RT528N to 101 Street. From North I-95S to RT1S to RT113S to RT90E to RT528N to 101 Street.), ☎ +1 410 524-3535, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Resort, Beachfront location, Smoke-free, family-friendly, Pub and restaurant on-site seasonal $180-240. edit
- Coconut Malorie Resort ., 200 59th Street, 1.888.828.6745, The 85 deluxe suites are newly redesigned down to the last detail. Awarded Best Hotel on the Eastern Shore by Metropolitan Magazine, Coconut Malorie is nestled in the natural wetlands overlooking the beautiful Isle of Wight Bay.
- Comfort Inn Boardwalk, 507 Atlantic Ave. @ 5th St and Oceanfront (SR 50 E. to Baltimore Ave. Located on 5th St. at Boardwalk.), ☎ +1 410 289-5155, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on the beach, on the boardwalk, high-speed wireless internet, private balconies, airport is close seasonal $140-180. edit
- Comfort Inn Gold Coast, 11201 Coastal Hwy. (From south take US 50 onto Coastal Hwy continue north to 112th street take left. From US 113 take RT90 east make a right onto Coastal Hwy continue north to 112th street take left. From North follow RT1 aka Coastal Hwy continue south to 114th street take right into Gold Coast Mall hotel to left.), ☎ +1 410 524-3000, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on the Chesapeake Bay side, two blocks from Ocean City Beach. Heated indoor pool and hot-tub. Friendly customer service seasonal $180-240. edit
- Comfort Suites, 12718 Ocean Gateway (Take I-95S toward Newark/Baltimore. Merge onto DE-1 South via 4A. From Bay Bridge - Rt 50 East. Hotel will be on right.), ☎ +1 410 213-7171, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. One mile from the beach and boardwalk, outdoor pool with slides, fitness center, surrounded by area golf and entertainment seasonal $200-250. edit
- Econo Lodge Oceanblock, 14502 Coastal Hwy. (US 50 E., to US 90, to Coastal Hwy. N., to 145th St. Hotel on the right corner.), ☎ +1 410 250-1155, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Ocean block hotel - one block from Ocean City Beach, outdoor pool that’s heated, room balconies seasonal $150-220. edit
- Fenwick Inn, 13801 Coastal Hwy, ☎ (410) 250-1100. edit
- Flagship Oceanfront Hotel, 2600 N Baltimore Avenue, +1 410 289-3384, Toll-free: +1 800 837-3585, Fax: +1 410 289-1743, .
- Hilton Suites, 3200 North Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 410 289-6444, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. The only AAA four diamond hotel in Ocean City. edit
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 12601 Coastal Hwy, +1 410 250-7800, .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 1701 Baltimore Avenue, +1 410 289-7263, .
- Park Place Hotel, 208 N. Baltimore Ave., ☎ 1-888-212-PARK, . edit
- Quality Inn Boardwalk, 1601 Atlantic Ave. (SR 50 E to Balt. Ave., N to 17th / SR 13 S to Balt. Ave., S to 17th.), ☎ +1 410 289-4401, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on Ocean City Boardwalk on Ocean City Beach, two oceanfront pools, indoor pool, on-site bar and restaurant seasonal $300-350. edit
- Quality Inn Oceanfront, 5400 Coastal Hwy. (From Bay Bridge Area, US 50 E to US 90 E to Coast Hwy S to hotel, 6 blks on left.), ☎ +1 410 524-7200, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Located right on the Ocean City beach, 2 miles to the boardwalk, private balconies and beach access rooms seasonal $220-320. edit
- Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, 3301 Atlantic Ave. (US 50 E. ex. Baltimore Ave. Left to 33rd St. and hotel.), ☎ +1 410 289-1234, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on Ocean City beach, private balconies, seasonal outdoor pool with kiddie pool, heated indoor pool with waterfall hot-tub, game room seasonal $300-350. edit
- Rodeway Inn Oceanfront, 2910 Baltimore Ave. (US 50 E. (Ocean City) to Baltimore Ave. N. to 29th St. to hotel), ☎ +1 410 289-7291, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on the ocean block of Ocean City beach, one block from the boardwalk and beach. Oceanfront indoor/outdoor heated pool. seasonal $180-260. edit
- Sea Bay Hotel, 6007 Coastal Highway, +1 410 524-6100, Toll-free: +1 800 888-2229, Fax: +1 410 524-1619, .
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 11 N. Baltimore Avenue@ 1st and Baltimore Ave. (From 495 Washington Belttway, take Route 50 east. Merge onto Division Street. Turn left onto North Baltimore Avenue. From Route 1, continue south to Division Street to Baltimore Avenue.), ☎ +1 443 664-4020, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Located on the ocean side, great location for beach access and boardwalk entertainment seasonal $190-210. edit
- Days Inn Oceanfront, 2200 Baltimore Avenue, Ocean City, MD, ☎ 800-926-1122, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 11am. located at 23rd street on the boardwalk. Newly renovated and upgraded. This oceanfront hotel features 2 outdoor pool, kiddie pool, complimentary onsite parking, indoor smoke free environment, handicap accessible rooms, free high speed wireless, full service restaurant, pub and pool bar. 150 - 250. edit
- Tranquil, idyllic, empty Assateague Island, with its National Park seal of approval, pristine beaches, and wild ponies, is oddly adjacent to Ocean City. Just head back to Route 50 and make a left on MD-611/Stephen Decatur Hwy, and follow it around to the Park entrance (15 min drive).
- The Delaware beach resorts to the north offer a more relaxed environment than the bustle of 'O.C.'. Straight up the coastal highway, US-1, is Bethany Beach (30 minutes) and Rehoboth Beach (45 minutes).
- A 50 minute drive west along Route 50 will take you to Salisbury, the largest city on the Eastern Shore, with a quaint historic center.
|Routes through Ocean City
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!