Obuse is a town in Nagano Prefecture.
Obuse is famous as the home of the Hokusai Museum. It houses works by the Edo-era woodblock artist Kastsushika Hokusai, well known for his Thirty-Six Views of Mt Fuji. He lived in Obuse when in his 70s, and produced many brush paintings during that time.
Take the Nagano Dentetsu railway from Nagano station to Obuse station (24 minutes/¥750 by limited express, 33 minutes/¥650 by local train).
The old town area is very compact and flat, and easy to walk around.
- Hokusai Museum (北斎館), 485 Obuse (In the centre of the restored town area, next to the bus parking area), ☎ 026-247-5206, . 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. for the months of April through October, 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. for the months of November through March, closed on December 31 and January 1.. Displays works of the Edo era artist Katsushika Hokusai. Adults ¥500; school students ¥300. edit
- Obusession, Venue varies, ☎ 026-247-7511, . A monthly gathering to share knowledge, experiences, food and drink. Held on the 11th of January, 2nd of February, 3rd of March, 4th April etc. firstname.lastname@example.org Adults ¥5000. edit
Country Kitchen San-Poo-Loh (カントリーキッチン傘風楼), 500 Obuse Machi (Opposite the Hokusai Museum), ☎ 026-247-1113, . 0730-2100. An elegant restaurant and coffee shop in the heart of Obuse. Italian food and fresh bread. Excellent service, delicious coffee, and delightful decor. Regular coffee ¥400; Cappucino ¥450; coffee and cake sets from ¥600. edit
- Chikuma - take the Shinano railway south from Nagano City to Chikuma or Togura stations and explore the onsens, mountains and temples of this small city straddling the picturesque Chikuma River
- Yamanouchi - home of the famous hot-spring soaking snow monkeys.
- Joshinetsu Kogen National Park - which includes Shiga Kogen, Japan's largest ski resort, host of 1998 Nagano Winter Olympic Giant Slalom, with 21 interlinked ski fields and over 70 lifts.
- Matsumoto - home of the famous black castle, whose gardens and views are a delight in spring and autumn
- Kiso Valley - through which winds the historic Nakasendo (Mountain Road) with numerous historic and beautifully restored villages
- Hakuba - some of the best ski fields in Japan and great summer hiking along the spectacular northern alps
- Azumino - Spice up your life with a visit to one of Japan's most famous wasabi farms
- Nagano - Take a pilgrimage to Zenkoji Temple