Oak Island is a city on the North Carolina Coastal Plain.
Most visitors come by car and get around by car or bike.
- Oak Island Lighthouse, located at the U.S. Coast Guard Station Oak Island in Caswell Beach was completed in 1958 and stands 169 ft.
- Oak Island Nature Center & Register Park, Overlooking the marsh and Intracoastal Waterway, located at E Yacht Dr and NE 52nd St the Oak Island Nature Center offers a wide range of educational activities for children and adults alike.
Animals at the Nature Center as of 6/28/2008: dove, blue jay, boat-tailed grackle, 2 parakeets, 4 ferrets, 5 sugar gliders, chinchilla, guinea pig, flying squirrel, rat and 3 opossums. (Open: W-Su noon-5PM)
- Old Brunswick Town, a colonial site dating from 1726-1776, served as a Cape Fear River Port that was the major export of Naval stores and the location of the Stamp Act Rebellion.
- Orton Plantation & Gardens, located about halfway between Wilmington and Southport, North Carolina, on the west bank of the Cape Fear River. It has been the site for many dramatic documentaries and action films.
- Silver Coast Winery, Coastal North Carolina's premier producer of premium wines. A lovely setting, its the perfect place to learn wines, have a picnic and enjoy art by local artists.
- The Fort Fisher Civil War Museum, remains of the earthen fort that kept the Cape Fear River and the port of Wilmington open to blockade runners, which delivered vital supplies to the Confederate armies until the fort fell on January 15, 1865.
- The North Carolina Aquarium, explore environments where sharks and sea turtles glide.
- The Oak Island Parks and Recreation Dept offers various programs for all ages for more info visit or stop by the Oak Island Recreation Center 3003 E. Oak Island Dr.
- paddleOKI, ☎ 3362608099, . Offers standup paddle board and kayak rentals with free delivery anywhere on Oak Island. edit
- Captain Stanley's Seafood, 5601 E Oak Island Drive
- Chaser's Bar and Grill, 8520 East Oak Island Drive
- China Garden, 8720 E. Oak Island Drive
- Domino's Pizza, 402 Yaupon Drive
- Beana's Kitchen, 106 SE 58th Street
- Fish House Restaurant, 5710 W. 57th Place
- Huddle House, 132 Country Club Drive
- Island Way, 1411 E Beach Drive
- Jones' Seafood House, 6404 E. Oak Island Drive
- Latitudes Restaurant, 705 Ocean Drive (at Yaupon Beach Pier)
- Little Bit's Grill, 5902 E Oak Island Drive
- Plaza Garibaldi, Oak Island Drive
- Russell's Place Restaurant, 5700 E. Oak Island Drive
- Thai By The Sea, 8317 E. Oak Island Drive
- The Pizza Shack, 6212 East Oak Island Drive
- Turtle Island Restaurant, 6220 E. Oak Island Drive
- Island Brews Beachside, 200 Country Club Dr, ☎ (910) 278-7100. edit
- Bella Cucina Restaurant & Lounge, 5177 Southport-Supply Rd SE (Next to Hampton Inn), ☎ (910) 454-4540, . edit
Chasers Beach Club, 601 Ocean Blvd.
Flying Pig Coffee House 6006 E Oak Island Dr.
A couple of companies offer both vacation rental and long-term rentals:
- Oak Island Accommodations, +1-800 243 8132, +1-910-278-6011, .
- Coastal Vacation Resorts, +1-888-703-5469, +1-910-278-5405, (email: email@example.com), .
- The scenic town of Southport is just a short drive away.
- Just beyond Southport is the nearest city, historic Wilmington. It is definitely worth the day trip if you are interested in seeing a coastal city.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!