Northern Vietnam is full of culture and natural wonders. Its three most popular destinations, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Sa Pa, are also among the most visited in Vietnam. The origin of Vietnamese culture and history is mostly from this region, especially the area around Hanoi. Its shoreline contains many beautiful islands, some of which are untouched. Many backpackers also favor the impressive landscape in the northern mountains in Ha Giang and Sa Pa. With Hanoi consistently ranking among the world's top 10 destinations by TripAdvisor, the region gets more touristy every day; one can now find European tourists as far as Ha Giang, one of the most remote provinces.
With the latest economic and building booms, traditionally farming provinces around Hanoi, such as Bac Ninh, Thai Nguyen, Hung Yen and Hai Duong, have now been largely industrialized.
- Hanoi - thousand year-old capital with lots of culture
- Sa Pa - charming mountainous town
- Ha Long Bay - a UNESCO natural wonder, harbors thousands of islands in a small area
- Ha Giang - a very remote mountainous province with fascinating landscape. It recently got popular among backpackers.
- Ninh Binh - has Tam Coc, Bich Dong and Trang An - the inland Ha Long Bay. The Cuc Phuong national park is also located here.
The Khe Ro forest and An Lac community. A community based ecotourism program runs out of the local village and aims to protect the pristine forest and preserve the cultural heritage of the local ethnic minorities. Visits can be organised to go trekking up the Khau Tron Peak and through the forest to the Vung Tron Lake, Khe Vang waterfall and Dao Village. Home stays with authentic local food are available too. Web site: eng.anlac-khero.com