- For other places with the same name, see North Island (disambiguation).
The North Island of New Zealand is warm, with scenery ranging from sandy beaches, through rolling farmland to active volcanic peaks. Although it is smaller than the South Island, it is more populous, with half of the New Zealand population living north of Lake Taupo, in the middle of the island.
Hahei Beach near Coromandel
New Zealand Christmas Tree, West Auckland
There are many settlements in the North Island, here are nine of interest to the traveller.
- Auckland - "The City of Sails" and, with over a million people, the largest metropolitan area in New Zealand and Polynesia.
- Hamilton - Home of the Waikato River.
- Napier - Art Deco and wine in the sunny Hawkes Bay.
- Paihia - Main center in the historic and picturesque Bay of Islands.
- Rotorua - Famous for Maori culture, geysers and beautiful hot pools.
- Taupo - Trout fishing and adventure activities in the central North Island.
- Tauranga - On the Bay of Plenty, it is known for its great weather, sun and beach.
- Waitomo - Home of the Waitomo Caves.
- Wellington - The national capital and the second largest city in the nation - home of the Parliament and the Beehive. The Windy city (and it's not hot air).
Chateau Tongariro in Tongariro National Park
Inside the airport in Auckland
- Auckland - Is the primary arrival point for most people in New Zealand, a large majority of those coming in through the Auckland International Airport (IATA: AKL, ICAO: NZAA) which handles 70% of all tourist air travel and is serviced by most major airlines. A significant number of people also arrive in Auckland by cruise ship.
The North Island is adequately serviced by many national bus companies.
- InterCity  is New Zealand's national bus company and operates over 130 daily services to more than 600 destinations nationwide. Fares start from $1 (plus booking fee) and include free WiFi on all InterCity buses. Tickets can be purchased online, over the phone or throughout the country at numerous booking agents including the i-SITE network.
- Nakedbus.com  Cheap, long distance bus service, daily services linking most towns and cities in New Zealand. Prices start at $1 plus booking fee.
- Mt Bruce National Wildlife Center. This DOC center is a good place to see Kiwis and Kaka (parrot), and other native birds. 20 min drive from Masterton on the way to Palmerston North.
- National Army Museum, Corner State Highway One and Hassett Drive (Waiouru), ☎ 646-387-6911, . Showcases New Zealand's national military history, telling the stories of kiwi soldiers and exploring participation in major conflicts worldwide. edit