Nishitokyo (西東京市) is a city in Tokyo prefecture.
Nishitokyo is located in western Tokyo, about 30 minutes by train from Shinjuku. Like much of western Tokyo, it's largely residential, with businesses concentrated around the train stations. The area has a lot of small parks and trees, in contrast with central Tokyo, which has skyscrapers and a lot more concrete.
The only train line running through the city is the Seibu Shinjuku Line (西武新宿線), which ends in Shinjuku to the east and Hon-Kawagoe to the west.
The best shopping in Nishitokyo is found around the north side of Tanashi Station, where there are several department stores and many other shops.
- Don Quixote (ドン・キホーテ), Shinmachi 5-3-12 (In south-central Nishitokyo, along the border with Musashino.), ☎ +81 0422-59-0501, . 10AM-11PM. A popular chain store selling a little bit of everything. (35.711469,139.536286) edit
- Jupiter Coffee (ジュピターコーヒー), Tanashicho 2-1-1 (In the basement of the Seibu department store just north of Tanashi Station.), ☎ +81 042-460-2661, . This shop has best selection of foreign food in Nishitokyo. (35.72839,139.540156) edit
Restaurants are found in concentration near Tanashi Station.
- Abiskar (アビスカ), Prince Plaza 109, Minamicho 4-4-2 (Several hundred meters east of Tanashi Station's south exit, on the right.), ☎ +81 04-2469-7880. 11AM-3PM, 5PM-11:30PM. A small Nepalese-Indian restaurant, great for budget travelers. ¥700 sets. (35.727018,139.540679) edit
- Sugoroku (すごろく), Prince Plaza 1F, Minamicho 4-4-2 (From the south exit of Tanashi Station, go east about 150m.), ☎ +81 42-469-9193. A small bar/izakaya with great food and an energetic bartender. (35.727016,139.540685) edit
- Nishitokyo City Hall (西東京市役所), 5-6-13 Minamicho (300m SW of Tanashi Station.), ☎ +81 042-464-1311, . City Hall has essential for long-term residents of the city. Important information is available in Japanese and (on paper) in English. edit
- Yuyukan (ゆう遊空間), Shinmachi 4-7-1 (100m east of Don Quixote.), ☎ +81 0422-50-0161, . 24h. A fairly new and very clean net cafe. edit
To the south is Musashino, home of the popular shopping area Kichijoji.