Ngapali Beach is in Rakhine State, Western Myanmar.
You can reach Ngapali by land or plane. Six local airlines (Air KBZ, Air Mandalay, Asia Wing, Golden Myanmar, Mann Yadanarpon and Yangon Airways) provide air services to Thandwe about four miles from Ngapali beach. Air Bagan still sells tickets, but re books the flights on different airlines very often. 16 hours drive with air con bus or normal express car.
Ngapali is prime choice for beach lovers dream about: quiet, white sand, the quiet rural surroundings, Rakhine ways of life, local fishing style, etc...
It's a beach -- you can relax under a palm tree and go swimming occasionally. Water is very clear and the white sand on the beach won't disappoint either. The beach looks west, meaning that there will be not so much of sun in the morning but a beautiful sunset in the evening.
Most places along the road offer similar menus, mainly fresh fish and seafood. Try the coconut prawn curries, different taste and preparation in each restaurant, but always delicious. They also serve other basic Burmese, Thai and Chinese dishes. Resorts often have some additional Western items in their menus. For most restaurants it is recommended to reserve a table in advance as it can get very busy during high season.
On the beach-side of the main road are the resorts' restaurants and on the other side you will find somewhat cheaper local restaurants. Prices are affordable, even in the resorts.
While the above roadside restaurants offer a certain level of hygiene, the beach restaurants (halfway down the beach) do not have proper water supply as they are only temporary bamboo huts, one next to another very tight.
Cocktails are $4 to $7 in the resorts. Most of them have happy hours at the time of sunset, typically between 5pm and 7pm. Expect half the price during that time.
A large bottle (660 ml) of Myanmar or Tiger beer is around MMK2,500.00 in local restaurants.
Tap water is not drinkable, but resorts offer usually a few bottles of purified water complimentary. A large bottle sells for around MMK300.00 on the street.
Fresh coconuts are sold on the beach. The seller cuts it open for you.
No real nightlife available. Ngapali Beach is famous for its tranquility.
Budget accommodation around Ngapali is limited. Most basic rooms start at $80 a night and up.
1. Pleasant View Resort (The newest one in Ngapali Beach) Accommodation provide with 14 Two Storey Deluxe Bungalow, 10 Deluxe Bungalows and 2 Family Deluxe Bungalows. All rooms are beach front sea view deluxe room. Address: S-5, North Wing of AungSan Stadium, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township, Yangon. Ph/Fax: +95 1 393 086, +95 1 023 61, +95 9 731 603 06 Email: reserve@PVRngapali.com www.PVRngapali.com
2. Amazing Resort Address: Rm(06-05),Bo Myat Htun Tower, Botahtaung Township, Yangon. Ph: +95 1 203 500
3. Bayview - the beach resort Booking address: 84, Pan Hlaing Road, Sanchaung Township, Yangon. Ph: +95 1 504471, Fax: +95 1 526 292  Bayview - the beach resort is a four-star-boutique hotel. 45 deluxe bungalows and rooms including 2 suites are all situated either directly at the beach or in a beautiful exotic garden. The Sunset Bar is busy for dinner, reservation recommended, serving international and Pan-Asian cuisine and also the freshest fish and seafood at reasonable prices. Offers a selection of International wines.
4. Amata Resort Address: Corner of West Race Course Rd & Sayasan Road, Yankin Township, Yangon. Ph: +95 1 542 535, +95 1 544 736, +95 1 559 292
5. Silver Beach Hotel Address: S-8, North Wing of Aung San Stadium, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township, Yangon.
6. Royal Beach Hotel Address: 201, Bo Myat Htun Street, Botahtaung Township, Yangon. Ph: +95 1 294 612, +95 1 200 883
To travel to Bagan check for buses (leave early morning around 7:00am to Pyay, and from there in a different bus leave to Bagan around 7:00pm, arrival in Bagan next morning around 6:00am).