New Paltz is a city in Ulster County, New York State.
New Paltz is exit 18 on the New York State Thruway which is also designated as Interstate 87.
There is frequent bus service between The Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City and New Paltz with connections to many other villages and cities.
Stewart International Airport is the nearest major airport to New Paltz. It is in Newburgh, thirty minutes to the south.
The Wallkill Valley Rail Trail  is on the bed of the Wallkill Valley Rail transport, the former main transportation link for New Paltz.
Rail Travel to New York City:
Nearby Poughkeepsie is the end of the line for Metro-North Rail. Poughkeepsie is a 15-20 minute drive east of New Paltz. Taxis are available in Poughkeepsie to transport travelers to and from New Paltz. Riding on Metro-North out of the Poughkeepsie Station is clean, safe and reliable. Trains run from very early in the morning until late into the evening. Fares can run as low as $12.75 each way.
As of July 2008 there is a bus you can take that picks you up at the Poughkeepsie train station and stops in New Paltz . It is run by the Ulster County Area Transit . View the bus schedule here: Bus schedule (pdf format) 
Walk or drive. There are also buses run by Ulster County Transit .
- Huguenot Street. Oldest Street in American with its original houses.
- Mohonk Mountain House. National Historic Site.
- State University of New York at New Paltz.
- Climb rocks, On Shawangunk Ridge.
- Main Street Bistro. (Delicious and a bargain)
- Karma Road. (Very vegan friendly)
Several other restaurants on lower Main Street.
- Bacchus. Has over 300 beers and really good food. Slightly expensive and with a late night menu and pool.
From Cozy beds and breakfasts to resort accomodations. Youth hostel next to bus station on Main street.
- New Paltz Hostel, 145 Main Street, ☎ 845-255-6676, . checkin: 4:00; checkout: 10:00. The New Paltz Hostel has a home like feeling and a laid back, comfortable atmosphere. Has a full functioning kitchen with communal food available to guests. The Mohonk Mountain is only about 10/15 minutes away by car. Provides bunk bed style rooms (a men's room and a women's room) and private rooms are also available. Includes all bed linens, towels, blankets, shampoo and communal food. 30.
- Hudson Valley Resort & Spa, 400 Granite Road Kerhonkson, NY (Just off Route 44/55), ☎ 845.626.8888, . checkin: 4:00 pm; checkout: 12:00 pm. Just up the road from New Paltz and adjacent to Minnewaska state park is the historic Hudson Valley Resort & Spa, which offers guests an 18 hole championship golf course, a full service health spa and fitness center, a 41,000 sq. ft. conference center and complete resort amenities. http://www.hudsonvalleyresort.com $120-$190.
- The Suite Escape B&B, 5 Angel Road, ☎ 845-750-6252, . checkin: 4:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. A 900 sq. ft. suite just for you as the only guests. A Sleep Number king-size bed and different pillows. Quiet. Nearby hiking, climbing, biking. Small dining area with a microwave, toaster, Keurig coffee machine and refrigerator fully stocked for a light breakfast to be taken whenever you want. Special diets can be accommodated with advance notice, any-style organic eggs from free-ranging chickens are served to your liking at 8 AM. $185-235.
- Mohonk Mountain House, 1000 Mountain Rest Rd, +1 845 255-1000, . On the west side of the river. $250-$600 per night, this fabulous getaway is a destination in and of itself. It features theme programs for each month, has an on-site massage center and 9-hole golf course and is a favorite for weddings, corporate events and family reunions. Adjacent Mohonk Preserve is open for hiking and nature walks.